Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smartmobile/PDA, linking into mobile BB/connectivity

• 29-07-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Im not sure if this should be in this forum or the broadband or wireless forums, but ill try here :D

Up to now ive just had a bogstandard pre-pay phone but id like to get a device that allows useable browsing/e-books/rss/email & phone/txt & hopefully not get fleeced for the data trans.

I was considering was a Nokia N800 or Dell Axim X51v.

What i was hoping was to use skype for the phone-side which would be fine in Wifi hotspots but i live in meath so theres not too many of those.

So, my questions are -

- Has anybody used the n800/x51v or similar, or would they reccomend otherwise for my needs?
    - In terms of connectivity, what are my options outside of wi-fi hotspots. For example 3 ireland mobile broadband unlimited looks good, but presumably only works with their proprietary modems or adapted sims?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

noone?

maybe im better moving this query to broadband... thought someone might be able to help with the pda part though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The only operator (to my knowledge) that offers mobile broadband on the phone at decent prices is 3. If you want to get a PDA (or a laptop) without phone capability, you can use your 3 phone as a modem. 3 has a couple of phones that might possibly meet all your requirements, like the N73 or E65.

I went through this whole thought process a while back and decided that PDA's are pretty useless in the scheme of things and bought a 13" laptop instead. I have added the unlimited broadband to my phone and I use that as a modem when I need it. It's pretty slow because my phone can't do HSDPA but for me this requirement is occasional so I turn it on and off as I need it, instead of going for a 12 month contract. A laptop could obviously do a USB modem as well, so there's more flexibility there.

On the whole Skype thing, 3 is promising to bring out X-Series any day now which will have Skype support. I'm not sure I would bother waiting around for it, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

yea, i saw the x-series blurb alright but ireland isnt in the list of countries that its being rolled out in initially so, as you say, who knows when itll arrive.

the choice of pda was for ease of reading/use (v phone) & portability (v laptop). having to use a 3 phone as a modem would kinda be defeating the point though.. but i see that there arent too many options at the moment for what im suggesting

Advertisement