Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alone in the big bad world

• 29-07-2007 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Ok so I have decided to go to UCD this september (depending on points of course!). However, I know nobody else going to UCD and thus I am compltely alone! This hasn't bothered me before, however, as registration week looms nearer and nearer, I find myself worrying that I may be the only 'loner' in first year and it may be difficult to make friends with others who have come to university as a group. Is anyyone else in this situation and, also, how easy is it to make friends at UCD?

Comments

I'd wager a guess that while some people might know one or two people in the college, they would know noone else in their course. You'll be entering a new course, so you'll get to know new people. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I agree. Don't worry about it. I was completely alone going to UCD. I knew 1 person and she was off in a much more different course. When you're from a city with its own university you get very few people who move.

Just throw yourself into the deep end and you'll never regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I was the same as you, no one else from my school went to UCD, though some friends from my town did go up. But I made friends inside my course, and a load of friends from societies, which is the best way to make friends in college, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There is one answer: Societies.
    Or the Union, but only if you're anal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

what course are you planning on doing?
    during term time, will you be living at home or applying for campus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Even people who come in with loads of friends want to meet new people and make new friends. Just be friendly! You'll be forcibly and cringilly introduced to people in the first week- that's how I met two of my best friends ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I'm pretty much in the same boat - DN078, 1st year - but I think my age will count in my favour: I get to act a bit more "dignified", and to join the Mature Students Society. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

hey it happened to me! and it was great! and my class isnt that small either! (just below 300 ppl) then again its not as big as arts either...

iv loads of mates and a gf in college now! dont worry! just get out n talk to everyone! n mabey join a society or a sport! they work great for making mates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

When i started first science, i was in the same boat - 300+ people in my lectures, and it seemed very daunting... However, its actually quite simple to meet people - just start talking to whoever you end up sittng next to. Remember that most people are in the same boat, and are only too happy to have someone to talk to.

Some of the people I met in my first few days in college have remained best friends with me ever since - 10 years later, and now spread all over the world. So don't be afraid to get out and meet people!!

Also, the other great way to make friends that last is clubs and societies - join a small club/society, and you'll be best buds with like-minded people in no time, with a social calander that suddenly doesn't seem to have enough days in the week.... After a while, you can't walk across campus without meeting someone you know!

So basically, you are in a great position - much better than the people who do nothing except hang out in the little group they have been hanging out in since they were 5 - college is about meeting new people, and doing new things - do both!!

(And don't forget to do a little bit of work.... college tends to be better if it lasts longer than 6 months...)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah I second all the above. I actually knew a good few people when I came here first from school, but almost all of my friends now would be people I met here. If you're an early bird in the morning and always in for lectures you'll get to know people just from seeing the same faces, practicals are great for getting people to talk to. Clubs and socs (I'd say particularly the smaller ones) are the best for meeting people, and get involved in the runing of one some way some time even if it's just helping the committee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

i'm in the same situation, General engineering in UCD in number 1 so depending on points ...

None of my friends are going to UCD so i'll be on my own to start off with,unless i see someone i know, but hopefully i wont be a loner for long!!

what course are you doin analyse this??

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InTouch

i knew nobody when i first got into college. It happens. But if you go to clubs and stuff you'll meet people. If you're at least a bit outgoing and open to do things then you'll be grand. Also, being popular isn't the most important thing. Don't fret if you only make one friend, one is better than none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

DtotheK wrote:
    i'm in the same situation, General engineering in UCD in number 1 so depending on points ...

None of my friends are going to UCD so i'll be on my own to start off with,unless i see someone i know, but hopefully i wont be a loner for long!!

hey dude, im an engineer!! now going into my second year! trust me, engineers are great! they are actually usually up for a party/session! and you will have approx 250-280 in your class for most of your first year! its pretty cool in there!
    all engineers do the same first year wether it be chemical, mechanical or general etc...

but realy, just alk to people! my best meates are all in engineering with me and all! oh and go to all engineering nites out etc, because they are great for getting to know ppl!

but in general just go in sit down and talk to people! oh and dont sit near the front...this makes it harder to talk if you chose to(i realise this may seem bad to be talking during lectures,but if you done honours maths chemistry and physics for leaving cert alot of your first semester is done for you with only a few things to ad on, so i found talking to be grand in my case! as do most engineers as most have done these courses during leaving cert!)

just dont be to scared to get talking to people! tere have been a ew in our class like that, and its taken a good while for them to get to know people(although they did do it in end but they certainly made it harder!)..

look is basically comes down to this...get out there and get talking! you will be in same class as most these people for nearly all of this year! there are pleanty of hour long breaks to get talking to them if talking during class dosent suit you...and enjoy it! you can make some great mates if you only give people a chance to get to know you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

DtotheK wrote:

business and chinese studies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

thats one of the most tightly knitted courses of all. This year there were only 10 people there, (two of which I was friends with from school), and they get on with everyone in it. The faculty for the class organize a chinese meal pretty sharpish so you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

muboop1 wrote:
    hey dude, im an engineer!! now going into my second year! trust me, engineers are great! they are actually usually up for a party/session! and you will have approx 250-280 in your class for most of your first year! its pretty cool in there!
    all engineers do the same first year wether it be chemical, mechanical or general etc...

but realy, just alk to people! my best meates are all in engineering with me and all! oh and go to all engineering nites out etc, because they are great for getting to know ppl!

but in general just go in sit down and talk to people! oh and dont sit near the front...this makes it harder to talk if you chose to(i realise this may seem bad to be talking during lectures,but if you done honours maths chemistry and physics for leaving cert alot of your first semester is done for you with only a few things to ad on, so i found talking to be grand in my case! as do most engineers as most have done these courses during leaving cert!)

just dont be to scared to get talking to people! tere have been a ew in our class like that, and its taken a good while for them to get to know people(although they did do it in end but they certainly made it harder!)..

look is basically comes down to this...get out there and get talking! you will be in same class as most these people for nearly all of this year! there are pleanty of hour long breaks to get talking to them if talking during class dosent suit you...and enjoy it! you can make some great mates if you only give people a chance to get to know you!

thanks for that essay of a reply!
    Sounds good! i know a 4th yr and he's enjoyed it so far, i'm looking forward to it and i'll try not to be shy!! i've doen honours applied maths,physics,maths and chemistry so 1st yr should be ok, and some coding in lua java and basic so they might come in handy later but he only does C/C++ stufff... i guess i'll see in a few yrs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

DtotheK wrote:
    thanks for that essay of a reply!
    Sounds good! i know a 4th yr and he's enjoyed it so far, i'm looking forward to it and i'll try not to be shy!! i've doen honours applied maths,physics,maths and chemistry so 1st yr should be ok, and some coding in lua java and basic so they might come in handy later but he only does C/C++ stufff... i guess i'll see in a few yrs!
    It'll be a doddle. You've got the perfect start to engineering with those subjects. I'm sure if you can do Java then you'll be grand for C... I hear Java's harder(and also much more useful) Try and avoid putting your labs on a Friday though cos they're pretty horrible to do if you've got a hangover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cait85

If you're interested in getting involved in college life and making new friends then there's also your college newspaper. The College Tribune is always looking for contributors so if you're interested in news, movies, books, sports, fashion and journalism in general, its a great place to go. We're particularly looking for people who are interested in computers and graphic design at the moment and the position of Design Editor is still available. I've made some really close friends there and the office is a great place to hang out and eat your lunch in! We're in the LGs, near the Trap and we'll be there from the 3rd of September so anyone interested should drop in and say hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 banana-were-cat

hey, im starting in ucd 1st year too. i'll be your friend! im all alone too. all my friends want to go travelling. i do too but i want to start college more. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was in the same boat and found it very difficult in first year but if you give the societies a chance you will make friends. The first few months of first year are probably the toughest but stick it out and you won't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If you in engineering, Eng Soc usually do something on the first day and then very shortly after starting there's the Screw Ball. So you'll defo meet someone if you go them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭fitzgese

i am also going to start there this year and i know nobody. i plan on doing law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I'm most likely going to UCD, and maybe all those that don't know anyone should meet up from boards.ie on Freshers week, eh? Then that would break the ice a little bit. I'm hopefully doing Pharmacology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Lucas10101 wrote:
    I'm most likely going to UCD, and maybe all those that don't know anyone should meet up from boards.ie on Freshers week, eh? Then that would break the ice a little bit. I'm hopefully doing Pharmacology.

Stop fretting about it. You'll be fine just come along to UCD during Orientation Week and attend the Brady speech and the academic advisory meeting.

Also just a reminder Lucas, join the KBC during Freshers Week. I'm the M&C Officer so just introduce yourself to me at the KBC stand. I'll be wearing a KBC hoodie with the title just so you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lucas there will probably beer a UCD boards beers soon into term where we all meet up and get drunk. It eases the pain. Make sure to join societies that you are interested in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ok so I have decided to go to UCD this september (depending on points of course!). However, I know nobody else going to UCD and thus I am compltely alone! This hasn't bothered me before, however, as registration week looms nearer and nearer, I find myself worrying that I may be the only 'loner' in first year and it may be difficult to make friends with others who have come to university as a group. Is anyyone else in this situation and, also, how easy is it to make friends at UCD?

My biggest best advice I can give you is to act confident and sociable even iF you are the shyest person ever and just want to curl up into a little ball in the corner.People will radiate towards you If you appear happy and friendly even if you are feeling lonely and terrified inside. I remeber my first day of college I was so scared cos everyone was hanging about in groups and they all seemed to know each other. I saw this other girl looking really lost and so just went up to her and asked a really stupid random question and we got talking and then we went to the bar together and met loads more people in there. Everyone is in the same boat as you so dot worry about it.
    And just for the record you already have friends in UCD.....us boardies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Chakar wrote:
    Stop fretting about it. You'll be fine just come along to UCD during Orientation Week and attend the Brady speech and the academic advisory meeting.

Also just a reminder Lucas, join the KBC during Freshers Week. I'm the M&C Officer so just introduce yourself to me at the KBC stand. I'll be wearing a KBC hoodie with the title just so you know.

Haha, I'm not worried about it. I was just trying to help the people who would be. I know I'll get on grand with everyone, not bothering me.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'm a pretty unsociable bastard really, and in both colleges I went to I managed to make a fair amount of good friends just through societies. The first few meetings were awkward as hell, but each time.. someone would just walk over and introduce themselves, or I'd hear someone talking about something and just walk over.
    I'm terrible at talking to people I don't know, small talk bugs the crap out of me but I'm not worried about Ucd. I heard alot from some people about how big and impersonal it feels, but with that many people about there's just more chance you're going to meet people who share common interests. Even if those interests only include sitting around quietly looking at hot women walking by.

societies are generally the way forward, I hardly knew anyone in my classes in college.. but a pretty big part of that was probably my attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jay9

Hey 'analyse this'!
    Im goin in2 1st year 2!!! im from galway (no im not a cultchie u feckin Dubs!) and im stayin on campus...i only no 1 guy hu is goin up 2 ucd but hu cares!!!!! wil hav da time of our lives!!!! Live it up its college life!!!!!!
    I guess i will cya up der!!!!!!!!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

oh dear, lol

Advertisement