Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alone in the big bad world

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Just act in some way confident or friendly and you'll get to know people. I'm in a similar-esque boat insofar as that all the friends I made the first time I did first year are finished now and I still have a year left and have to make new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

funnily enough i'm going into arts, which has like 1200000 students and i know noone. my bf is doing science so i wont see her ill bet...there's gonna be loadsa loners dnt you worry lol. i'll be your friend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

ashyle wrote:
    funnily enough i'm going into arts, which has like 1200000 students and i know noone. my bf is doing science so i wont see her ill bet...there's gonna be loadsa loners dnt you worry lol. i'll be your friend :D

yayyy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Lucas there will probably beer a UCD boards beers soon into term where we all meet up and get drunk. It eases the pain. Make sure to join societies that you are interested in
    I been meaning to organise (decide when where and post up, not really much organisation) a night out. I imagine it will be the 2nd week of term (1st week for non firsties) when it finally happens.

I'll write it on my hand to post up later :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That reminds me -- does Mr Nice Guy still exist...? Haven't seen him post on boards in like.... a year.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DaveMcG wrote:
    That reminds me -- does Mr Nice Guy still exist...? Haven't seen him post on boards in like.... a year.......

:confused:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53783073&postcount=21 on 18-08-07 at top of page

lol, pwnd etc. @ Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

DaveMcG wrote:

I recall getting a bebo from him at some stage,so he does infact exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:confused:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53783073&postcount=21 on 18-08-07 at top of page

lol, pwnd etc. @ Dave
    Holy sh*t, I should start RE-reading threads before posting in them.............!!!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I recall getting a bebo from him at some stage,so he does infact exist
    So you can share what he looks like then?
    The secrets of the universe slowly starting to unravel..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 UCDMATURESOC

stereoroid wrote:
    I'm pretty much in the same boat - DN078, 1st year - but I think my age will count in my favour: I get to act a bit more "dignified", and to join the Mature Students Society. :o

I was browsing this forum with the idea of helping people in mind and spied your post.

I have recently been elected the new Auditor (aka Big Boss:D ) of the UCD Mature Students Society and am entering Year 2 of DN078 Structural Engineering and Architecture. I also have a degree in electrical engineering but am studying this course because I want to.

If anyone in UCD who is mature or otherwise would like some informal advice or assistance, just drop me a private message. I'm a pretty friendly guy so even if you are thinking of UCD then what the hell send me a PM :D

Stereoroid in particular you might like to discuss your course with me. I am really enjoying it but the 2 other Mature Students who were in my course last year dropped out as it was too much or maybe the wrong choice for them.

The Mature Student Society is a mixed bunch of ages. I am leaving my 20's but they range from early twenties to 80's. I would love to encourage people to join the society as most of the Mature Students in all colleges don't participate enough in my opinion for various reasons.
    Even if someone isnt a Mature Student, if contacted I can still offer some support or direct you to someone who can help.

Ok, I hope that was'nt too long winded a post.

Regards

Alan.

ps, to get back on topic I do think a lot of people in UCD are cliquey but all you can do is laugh it off. Most of them will even admit to it.
    I made some decent and good friends there from all faculties but I've found some people in my class would find it hard to make eye contact with others or engage them in conversation which I find weird but overall the engineering faculty is a good one with a lot of nice people. For a mature student it could very well be the age difference acting as a psychological barrier for some but not for others.
    I would advise the OP to join up with as many clubs and societies as possible. This is where you can meet a diverse and interesting range of people. Dont limit your opportunities. University life gives you a real opportunity to meet people from many disciplines and broaden your horizons. Find out what you enjoy doing and you are sure to meet like minded people. If you have any problems feel free to contact me.

*reason for editing* Going back on topic of OP*

• Advertisement
Advertisement