Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'm thinking of doing computer science in UCC in a couple of years time

Options
  • 29-07-2007 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I know a lot about computers, I passed the ECDL, but what is computer science about?

My cousin Mark (who is doing his masters in UCC at the moment) said it is about programming, is this true? If not, what is it about? Would I be suitable for it if I was really into computers?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

CorkMan wrote:
    I know a lot about computers, I passed the ECDL, but what is computer science about?

My cousin Mark (who is doing his masters in UCC at the moment) said it is about programming, is this true? If not, what is it about? Would I be suitable for it if I was really into computers?
    The course has nothing to do with ECDL type things. Like your cousin said, it's pretty much mathematically based, lots of programming-type stuff.

I did the course, graduated, wasn't impressed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jjam2116

The course has nothing to do with ECDL type things. Like your cousin said, it's pretty much mathematically based, lots of programming-type stuff.

I did the course, graduated, wasn't impressed at all.

What weren't you impressed with? Im thinking of doing this course as well so I just want to know what people who have graduated thought of .

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

It's a programming and mathematics course, i graduated from it two years ago, its not bad but my advice would be to go to CIT and do the software development course there. A friend of mine did it and their course was put together much better and they seemed to cover a good variety of things that we didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

CorkMan wrote:

I have accepted the course and now I want to know this too. Go figure.

Seems like a good course though I have been in the Building and it is not a bad gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

juror wrote:
    It's a programming and mathematics course, i graduated from it two years ago, its not bad but my advice would be to go to CIT and do the software development course there. A friend of mine did it and their course was put together much better and they seemed to cover a good variety of things that we didn't

From what I know of the CIT course, it leans a bit more on the practical side. Which is probably what most people want. But, on the other hand, if you're like me and want to do a course that leans a bit more on the theory side, then I recommend CS :) . As with everything else, I suppose, it depends on what you want from a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was into computers as well, but I left CS in januray of my second years, went into far too much detail, it's an for first and second year the C++ in 2nd year was terrible but I think they fixed that.

One notable difference between that and the course in CIT is interaction with lecturers, the lecturers do the labs in CIT so your not getting some 2nd year telling you his own opinons and such, and the lecturers take more interest in you as well (smaller class sizes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

A very good degree in IT if you're worried about getting too technical is Business Information Systems (UCC). It's half business, half IT and leans more towards Systems Design and Analysis. More people end up as Accountants than actual developers with this degree, but the typical job is Analyst (usually working for the large consulatancy firms or Financial corporations.

The IT side never gets to the real mathematical/nerdy stuff of computer science or Software Development degrees, but still gives you enough to branch out into that area if you like (I walked into a developer role after graduating 3 years ago, and although maybe not as qualified in the hardcore development stuff like my colleauges, my business and systems analysis skills really help me shine!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

CorkMan wrote:
    I know a lot about computers, I passed the ECDL
    lmao!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

You can never have used a pc in your entire life ans still do computer science.

Just be very aware that this is not a course about using computers. You can effectively pass first year without sitting at a pc for the year...

• Advertisement
Advertisement