Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goose's journey from ACL reconstruction to Triathlete

Options
  • 29-07-2007 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Ok here I go, day 3 after I have had my left anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed, swelling is slowly starting to go down and starting to get some responses out of my quads so the cramping in my hamstring is easing off.

My aim is to enter and finish next years dublin city triathlon, but first things first the slow process of getting myself back to fitness, everything I have been told suggests that it will take around 6 to 9 months to fully recover from the surgery, all depending on how I react to and how much work I put into my physio.

Down to basics so, at the moment I'm on a 2 week basic strengthening program which targets getting proper ROM in my knee.

At the moment I'm getting just past 90 degree bend in my knee and having difficulty in getting it fully straightened, but I think this may be down to the swelling and the fact that I'm feeling as strong as a day old kitten at the moment.

So my target over the next couple of weeks is to get my leg to fully straightened and get a full bend in my knee.

Anyway off to ice it again, anyone that has been through this before feel free to throw some support and encouragement or any tips you have picked up during your own recovery.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Haven't torn my ACL but I did have my shouler reconstructed so I sorta know how you feel.

It's a hard journey but stay sensible and you'll be just fine!!

Good luck bro, I'm sure you'll make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've only jsut seen this, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

F*ck me, Whenever I think about this I get kinda sick, have to lift my feet of the ground, fair play to ya. Just remember to take it slow and easy, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

cheers for the support guys.

Well its about a week today since the operation, exercises are coming along nicely getting a good bit of movement back into the knee, swelling still going down although at the moment I look like someone has beat me around the knee with a baseball bat. Have to say the thing I'm finding it hardest to deal with is the cramping, I wasn't expecting this but my hip flexor (I think) is constantly aching or sometimes feels like it is itching like crazy, I think this may have something to do with the nerve block they give before the operation, wakes me up every night I've tried icing it and even put deep heat on it to try and take away the sensation but nothing seems to work. I been trying to do more work on my exercises and even a bit of walking around the green infront of the house but all this does is tire me out so I'll have to stop that, must give my physio a ring and see if she has any suggestions about it.

Have to give a big shout out to my better half, I dread to think what this would be like without her help, she's been great, its amazing how useless you become after a little operation, when even getting a class of water for yourself turns into a major operation.

Anyway thats my bit for today, think I'll take a power nap now.

Just back from a physio session there...
    Physio is happy with my progress so far and she gave me some new exercises to do, found this a bit tough today but I'm sure over the next few days they'll get easier. Will have to pick up a swiss ball over the weekend so I can do them all, who new that a big ball could be used for some relatively tough exercises, I was seriously sweating when I came off of it. Last thing we tried was a quick spin on an exercise bike, alas it was a bridge too far, I could pedal in both directions as far as the apex of the pedal but it felt like there was something locking my knee in place and I couldn't go any further. Still not too bad considering I'm only 8 days out of surgery. Another bit of good news is that I'm down to one crutch and can manage to get around the house without any crutches but was told that if I'm going into public places that I should still use 2 incase anyone bumps into me, good advice I'm thinking.
    Anyway hope everyone has a great weekend, hopefully the weather holds up for us.

• Advertisement

2 weeks since the operation and things are coming along nicely. Had a minor set-back on tuesday night, over did the exercises abit and ended up getting a major cramp in my IT band, took about 2 hours for it to go away after icing it,heat and stretching, hope I never go through that again, it was like someone had stabbed me in the leg and was twisting the knife around. Spoke to my physio about it on Wednesday she told me this is pretty normal, that it is down to fatigue. Got a good tip from her, if it happens again, place a rolling pin or deodrant tin and roll the side of my leg over it, hold it where its tenderist for about ten seconds,do this a couple of times and that will sort it out.

Had my second phsyio session on friday and the program has moved on a bit now. She's started me on some core drills, some front & side lunges and bridging. I thought the session went really well and I managed to get on the exercise bike for about 10 minutes so that was a major confidence booster.

I was watching the London Triathlon today and I have to say I can't wait to start my triathlon training, but one step at a time.

Back to work in the morning now, half looking forward to it in a sad way, gets pretty boring at home by yourself everyday.

Its been awhile since I've posted here, time for a bit of an update.
    I'm at week 15 in my recovery, making steady progress now, had to take a couple of weeks off as I had pushed myself a bit too hard and ended up being totally fatigued, so physio suggested cutting back a bit and easing back into it. I've been given the all clear to start back into some very light jogging, 5 min jog followed by five min walk * 3 sets, I have to say I'm abit like a big kid at christmas I cannot wait to start. One nice surprise from all the conditioning work I've been doing is that apart from the knee I've got surgery on I'm probably in nearly the best condition of my life. Hopefully now over the next few weeks I'll see some great improvement. Hoping to be nearly 100% better by the end of Jan start of Feb so I can start getting in some serious training.

Advertisement