Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to stream video while mobile - help

Options
  • 29-07-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need to stream live video to the web while mobile / remote locations.

Will the newer mobile broadband dongles do this for me ?

Regards,

Scrubber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends on the quality you want. At basic jittery speed 12 fps @ 176x128 yes.

At 720 x 576i @ 25fps, no and a lot of fixed broadband uplinks arn't fast enough for that either at good quality.

You would want to stream to a server on the web that re-shares the stream if more than one person is to connect, otherwise each person increases the upload need by X, where X is the bitrate. At 320x240 using MPEG4, you can get acceptible quality at about 128k. Some mobile connections only go as fast as that on upload if no other users on on the cell.

There's a reason for those expensive trucks and dishes. However a domestic internet Satellite link is not much faster than Mobile for uplink. those OB trucks are often using 8Mbps uplink or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭metalscrubber

Looks like Im back to the drawing board..

Metal

Advertisement