Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Glanza ups and downs?

Options
  • 29-07-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm gonna be buying a glanza soon enough and I was wondering what are things to look out for in the engine department? Any common faults with them? Anyone have one? Are they a good driving car? Reliable?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You're going to buy a car named after the tip of a penis? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Cake Fiend wrote:
    You're going to buy a car named after the tip of a penis? :confused:

Thats what I said, Look ya numpty if you haven't got anything positive or helpful to say, don't bother posting.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

SaxoDuff wrote:
    Hey,

I'm gonna be buying a glanza soon enough. Any Anyone have one? Are they a good driving car? Reliable?

Strikes me as a little odd that you've decided to buy one without knowng the answers to these questions?

Surely you should make your decsion after answering these questions?

Have you had any experience with them yourself Saxo?As a passenger or driver?

Well I havent left a deposit or anything but ive my heart set on one.
    A mate had one for 3 weeks and didnt like the ride quailty or handling in it (hes a RWD man) and sold it on. I was a passenger in it twice and I found the ride grand, It was also quicker than I was expecting it to be. I hadnt much intrest in them at the time though so I never really asked any technical questions. I do know that you have to let it heat up properly and cool down properly or risk blowin the turbo..My main question is reliability because I'm going to Sligo I.T next year and I'll be driving it from Dundalk to there and back again every week.. Have you got/had one mcauley?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

You also seem to think that the Glanza is a modified car....IT'S A TOYOTA STARLET and as modified as my granny.

Not being smart now, but you have as much (or more likely a better) chance of finding info about a Glanza in some boyracer forum. As it is not a modified it will probably feature pretty low on modified car owners lists of wants.
    I do know that you have to let it heat up properly and cool down properly or risk blowin the turbo..
    That applies to any car ever made, though obviously you can't destroy a turbo on an n/a car, but the point is that this is not peculiar to the Glanza, warm up before revving for all cars, let turbo spin down before turning off in turbo cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ride quality on most of them will be terrible alright, most of them come from japan with suspension upgrades that just arent meant for irish roads, for a trip that far every week i wouldnt reccomend a glanza, its small, it wont be comfortable and every guard that see's you will stop you and give you a hard time because of there image. (ie:normally not properly insured)

being a toyota they'll have jap reliability i'm not sure on what problems they have but having a turbo i'm sure theres things to look out for, check google for an owners forum and read through the buyers guide that will probably be there. there as common as muck too and most will have been "boy racer" as alot of young lads buy them without knowing what there at atleast your taking some interest in what to look for, so be carefull when your buying.

http://www.glanzaowners.co.uk/ - uk owners forum probably the best place to ask questions and if you can bring a clean one in from an owner over there would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

OKenora wrote:
    You also seem to think that the Glanza is a modified car....IT'S A TOYOTA STARLET and as modified as my granny.

Not being smart now, but you have as much (or more likely a better) chance of finding info about a Glanza in some boyracer forum. As it is not a modified it will probably feature pretty low on modified car owners lists of wants.

That applies to any car ever made, though obviously you can't destroy a turbo on an n/a car, but the point is that this is not peculiar to the Glanza, warm up before revving for all cars, let turbo spin down before turning off in turbo cars.

okenora give him a break, he never said it was modified he may have plans for it in the future.the glanzas can be a great platform for modifying.

I know plenty of modders who started with old starlets and went on to skylines etc but still keep a GT Turbo in their garage as they are so much fun with the right mods. You dont need a 3.0l to be a modder :cool:

To the OP the best bit of advice is from draffodx, hit the owners forums read up on them, but they are a good car with toyota/japanese reliability you wont go wrong with one just keep her fully serviced, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

okenora give him a break, he never said it was modified

He did say he at least thought it belonged in the modified section, that is where it's posted. Back to the simple point, japanese cars are not modifeid by default they are simply Japanese.

While I agree the glanza can be modified and a lot are there are also as many modified Alfas or Corsas and 206's out there, but nobody would accept a post here saying "thinking of buying a 156/Corsa/206" with no mention of any intention of modifying it. A post like that I would hope would be pushed over into the motors forum.......Glanzas are no different, just faster.

Either way, my advice stands, he would be far better looking at boyracer type forums or as already posted glanzaowners forums as they will know more than 90% of the modified car users will, most of the modified owners may have never even been in a glanza and it will only be a small amount that actually owned one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Are you a skanger?
    If so I say go for it. Should give you loads of "street cred".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

There known for there handling not being great due to the solid rear beam in them.Coilovers or a good suspension set up will help but in cornering ability there not great,not terrible but not great.

Modified parts are readily available for them,especially engine mods.There 130bhp as standard but theres a good few of them here running 200bhp reliably on stock internals,for a car that small and light there quick.

Even oem replacement parts are easily obtainable for them

They do have a stigma attached to them but so does every car,fcuk the begrudgers so to speak,if you can insure it properly and really want one go for it.

toyotagtturbo.com will give you a better insight again to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

tuxy wrote:
    Are you a skanger?
    If so I say go for it. Should give you loads of "street cred".

Harsh! :D

Cheers guys for the replies, The sites you gave me were a great help! I should hopefully have one by the end of August if I sell my current car soon enough! I'll let yous know how I get on anyway! :D

okenora> as was stated to you before, 90% of the glanzas that come over to ireland from japan pretty much all come over modified from simple bolt-ons to full suspension, up-rated everything.......

i just dont think we see eye to eye on this subject, so since the OP has everything he feels he needs lets just agree to differ for now

To the OP, good luck with your search, the only bit of advice i will give you on the glanza is try and buy one fairly fresh off the boats as alot of them lead a harsh life over here, or even import one yourself and save a few quid.

The most common mod for a glanza is a for sale poster on the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

OP, you never said if it was the turbo you were going for, but if it is, i had my first go in one the other day, it has immense power for a 1.3 due to the turbo, but you have to remember that will have an effect on the insurance aswel. As for handling, i know it has been said, but these have a solid rear beam, which means they are fast in a straight line, but show it a windy road and it will sh*t all over itself. I have a 1.4 vtr saxo and have had more fun in that car on windy backroads than ive ever had in any other car, and its completely standard bar a bmc cda. If you want 130bhp, have a look at a saxo vts/106gti, same power as a glanza turbo, ok it will be tough to get it to high power due to not having a turbo, but i guarantee you the ride and handling is 10 times better!

after all, clarkson didnt rate them the 2nd best handling car in the world for nothing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

The Glanza is a really cool car! A friend of mine had one and was running it at 219bhp and 190l/b torque. She was a flyer. Ate skylines no bother! Onyl thing is though is the suspension. They can be solid and umcomfortable. But I went to dublin in it. Wasnt that annoying! Really nice car!

have to agree with p-nut, get a 106gti, there around 125bhp standard but if you have the money you can get it up to 140 - 150bhp easily enough with a full straight through exhaust and a few other bits then show it the roads over to the west and you'll have a smile all the way there and back, you'll also have the sleeper effect with people not expecting it from a 106.

Dish wrote:
    The Glanza is a really cool car! A friend of mine had one and was running it at 219bhp and 190l/b torque. She was a flyer. Ate skylines no bother!

insurance on that must have been through the roof!

draffodx wrote:

Not if it's a 1.3 N/A on the log book!

draffodx wrote:

Secret!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

tuxy wrote:
    The most common mod for a glanza is a for sale poster on the window.
    Followed closely by the phrase "1.3 on the log book."

Sellin points of them! lol!

projectgtr wrote:
    okenora> as was stated to you before, 90% of the glanzas that come over to ireland from japan pretty much all come over modified from simple bolt-ons to full suspension, up-rated everything.......

i just dont think we see eye to eye on this subject, so since the OP has everything he feels he needs lets just agree to differ for now

To the OP, good luck with your search, the only bit of advice i will give you on the glanza is try and buy one fairly fresh off the boats as alot of them lead a harsh life over here, or even import one yourself and save a few quid.

Thanks for that mate, Finding a clean example is proving harder than I thought! I've never looked into importing one myself, any idea how I would go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Dish wrote:
    The Glanza is a really cool car! A friend of mine had one and was running it at 219bhp and 190l/b torque. She was a flyer. Ate skylines no bother! Onyl thing is though is the suspension. They can be solid and umcomfortable. But I went to dublin in it. Wasnt that annoying! Really nice car!

Rudy heck. Wonder what it was like in the rain at the lights. Wheel spin city!

SaxoDuff wrote:
    Thanks for that mate, Finding a clean example is proving harder than I thought! I've never looked into importing one myself, any idea how I would go about it?

heres one of the places im using for my EG SiR Civic
    > www.ibcjapan.co.jp
    if you do get a clean example keep it that way they will be hard to come by (clean examples) in a few years. if your going to mod it plan it well dont just drive straight through halfords and see what sticks :D

not too sure if you were given this before but http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forum.php isnt a bad place for some top info on them

and forget about the peeps who tar you with the "boyracer" image enjoy your car and stay safe

Andrewf20 wrote:
    Rudy heck. Wonder what it was like in the rain at the lights. Wheel spin city!

haha! Depended on how hard u put ur footdown! Still love the car! Spining in 3rd gear eatin a skyline! Lovin it!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

Dish wrote:
    haha! Depended on how hard u put ur footdown! Still love the car! Spining in 3rd gear eatin a skyline! Lovin it!!!:D
    Either you had a really short 3rd gear, terrible tyres, or this was on ice because there is no way that you should be getting wheelspin in 3rd with only 219bhp.
    As for eating Skylines, some of them produce a fantastic 130bhp, so that is an achievement that you should tell your grandkids about.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Skylines can go around corners without getting written off though, so its swings and roundabouts...

nastysimon wrote:
    Either you had a really short 3rd gear, terrible tyres, or this was on ice because there is no way that you should be getting wheelspin in 3rd with only 219bhp.
    As for eating Skylines, some of them produce a fantastic 130bhp, so that is an achievement that you should tell your grandkids about.

219bhp in a glanza with 17s on is like goin on ice without skates! lol! Nd yes it did happen in 3rd gear when it was raining and his foot was down! lol! :D He raced many skylines in a straight nd beat dem! EVen let thenm get to grips with the back end swinging out!

• Advertisement

What engine mods had the done to et 219 bhp?

Advertisement