Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 Accord vibration Issue

Options
  • 29-07-2007 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

folks have an 07 accord auto. recently i have noticed the following,
    while stopped at lights in D with foot on brake i have noticed some vibration coming from the passenger seat, when i look under the car, i see that the exhaust near the engine is vibrating too.. engine revs when this happen are around 550rpm.

if i turn the steering wheel, the steering pump kicks in and the engine revs increase to 800 approx, and vibration stops.

i think the issue is that the car is idling too low..

i think that if the idle speed is adjusted to slightly higher then problem will go away.. is this easy to do? if so id like to try and adjust it myself..

or is engine idle speed controlled by the ECU and only adjusted via diagnostics machine connected to the car..? ( or is the engine idle speed not the problem at all??)

its only a small niggly issue, but annoying all the same..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Surely you'd just go back to the garage you purchased from for advice or to get adjustments made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Bluetonic wrote:
    Surely you'd just go back to the garage you purchased from for advice or to get adjustments made.

i plan to go to the garage in a couple of days.. i thought it was something simple i could do myself.

Bluetonic wrote:

took car to 2 seperate honda dealers this morning, and both garages say its normal....( the problem identified above)

vibration cant be normal...surely if the exhaust is vibrating like it is then it will loosen something over time?

the vibration goes away when i turn the steering wheel which causes the power steering pump to kick in and increases revs...

is this normal with automatics? to have vibration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Firstly you cannot adjust it your self. There is no idle screw instead a small step motor contrrols the idle and you need the plug in unit to adjust it.

The idle is set wityhin limits and if it is outside these limits then the check light will come on. I would say yours is on the lower end of the limit hence the vibration. Normally there is some device to compensate when load is applied, e.g the power steering, which as you state is working, but when you select "D" then something similar happens.

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust at all, they all shake around, but the dealer should be able to sort out this if you are not satisfied. Why dont you tell them you want to see an identical model for comparison !

MercMad wrote:
    Firstly you cannot adjust it your self. There is no idle screw instead a small step motor contrrols the idle and you need the plug in unit to adjust it.

The idle is set wityhin limits and if it is outside these limits then the check light will come on. I would say yours is on the lower end of the limit hence the vibration. Normally there is some device to compensate when load is applied, e.g the power steering, which as you state is working, but when you select "D" then something similar happens.

I wouldn't worry about the exhaust at all, they all shake around, but the dealer should be able to sort out this if you are not satisfied. Why dont you tell them you want to see an identical model for comparison !

the dealer wasnt very forthcoming with help. so i went to a second dealer
    to get a second opinion.. the second garage said it was normal...

the vibration happens regularly but not all the time..
    it never happens on a cold start.. always when the engine is at operating temperature ;;; but by moving the steering wheel when the vibration is happening, the revs increase and the vibration goes away.

the vibration also goes away when i shift back to N when the issue is happening.

i only noticed this recently.. its an annoying one..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

I have a similar problem with my car, and it can be uncomfortable/annoying when stopped in traffic. I find if you put the side lights on, it vibrates less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

My Dad had a similar problem years ago. Car would idle around 500 but would also stall when he tried to take off after sitting at lights with foot on the break.

Turned out that the Kick Down button was stuck. Might be worth checking as it took the dealers a good few months to come to this conclusion.

I have a similar problem with my car, and it can be uncomfortable/annoying when stopped in traffic. I find if you put the side lights on, it vibrates less.
    hi
    what car do you have and what year

R.O.R wrote:
    My Dad had a similar problem years ago. Car would idle around 500 but would also stall when he tried to take off after sitting at lights with foot on the break.

Turned out that the Kick Down button was stuck. Might be worth checking as it took the dealers a good few months to come to this conclusion.

theres no kickdown button on my car..

R.O.R wrote:

duplicate post sorry

• Advertisement

edit: duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Wasn't sure if they were still putting them on or not - feckin A class I drove last week still had one.

i think that puting on the sidelights is doing the same as turning the wheel.. ie increasing revs. ill try putting on the AC or the rear window heater to increase revs.

try turning the steering wheel and hold it so that theres pressure on it .. the the revs should increase to 800 or so and vibration should go away..

i think this problem is definately due to idle speed, when i have the vibration the revs are about 550 rpm.
    when i turn the wheel the revs go up to 800 approx and vibration goes away.
    the garage where i bought the car, said that he will replace part of the exhaust, but i dont think thats the problem,

are there any honda experts on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭j14

I have a 2007 Civic Type S and the glovebox vibrates like mad when going from 2nd to 3rd. It's only between 2nd and 3rd though, it never vibrates otherwise. Not a big flaw but annoying all the same. I just have to turn the CD up that little bit more to drown out the rattle!

whats the story with all the duplicate posts?

sorry about that!

give it a shot anyway. see if it works.

sorry about that!

give it a shot anyway. see if it works.

no problem.. will try that....btw what make / model /yr is your car?

MercMad wrote:

a honda dealer told me that the idle speed cannot be adjusted on the accord

• Advertisement

02 corolla.

As i said it sounds like the same problem you're having. When the engine is cold, it's ok because the automatic choke increases the revs. It only happens when it's up to temperature. I just got into the habit of turning on my lights all the time.

I suspect this happens with alot of cars, but people just don't notice or complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There may be a recall about this yet! The older model accord had a similar vibration when it first came out. It was cured under a recall by replacing the front engine mount.

JHMEG wrote:
    There may be a recall about this yet! The older model accord had a similar vibration when it first came out. It was cured under a recall by replacing the front engine mount.

i would imagine that this would have been resolved by now... my car is '07..

i spoke with a technician from honda today, who shed some light on the issue... he advised to re do the idle learning process.. the auto accord should idle at around 700-750rpm with foot on brake in D at operating temp.

ie disconnect the battery

leave car for 10 mins.

reconnect battery. start engine with all accessories off, AC, Radio etc,
    let cooling fan come on then go off.
    let cooling fan come on then go off.
    then shut down car. idle learning has been completed.

i will try it out and see what happens.. that may cure the problem.

what_car wrote:
    i would imagine that this would have been resolved by now... my car is '07..
    Yeah, they cured it on the old model in '99.

What the mech advised you to do is to reset the ECUs. You can replace <let cooling fan come on then go off> with <drive as you normally drive>, it'll do the same.

JHMEG wrote:
    Yeah, they cured it on the old model in '99.

What the mech advised you to do is to reset the ECUs. You can replace <let cooling fan come on then go off> with <drive as you normally drive>, it'll do the same.

will my keys still work after i do this? or do they need to be recoded?

Everything will work fine, just as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,354 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Time for a reboot :)

unkel wrote:
    Time for a reboot :)

well tried the battery disconnect thing, but it didnt work... vibration still there!

its idling at 550rpm in D with foot on brake.,...
    what now...

can anyone recommend a honda dealer that knows the honda accord auto
    really well? one dealer mechanic wanted to replace half of the exhaust, the other one said its normal!

the two dealer mechanics didnt seem to know what the accord auto 2.0 should be normally idling at.

Advertisement