Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Axel Stands ANd How To Use Them?

Options
  • 29-07-2007 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I know this is self explanatory but i need to do some work underneath a vw golf but can't see any where safe to place these stands and the safety book says not to place anywhere near steering which is good advice :confused:

so where can i place them safely and securely so i can do some work. I also need to do some work on the back end and can't see any strong support there neither. A dangerous place to be if things are not up to scratch so id like some help please.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Chassis rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Does the manual for the car not point out the stand and jacking points? Most cars have 2 strong beams running the length of the car (Chassis rails as Henry said), they're about a foot in from the doors and have specific points made for taking axle stands / trolley jacks. Make sure you have the proper rubber pads for the stands or you'll damage the plasticy coating on the underside (that's on a Mk3 Golf anyway - the Mk4 is galvanised and I can't remember if it has that coating too...)

Advertisement