Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sharp clunk sound from front end over bumps

Options
  • 29-07-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The noise occures when taking up drive at low speed and over bumps/humps from the drivers side. Clearly something has worn but what?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭OKenora

bushes/wishbones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Upper wishbone links are prone to wear on Audis. As are anti roll bar links.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Habing this problem with my car at the moment aswell.
    Sounds like its coming from the back wheel on the passenger side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Upper wishbone which bit is that - the control arm?

Mike.

I'm not sure what year your chariot is Mike, but most Audi's from the mid 90s have a double upper links near the top of the strut - look up under the wheel arch. IIRC, double links first appeared on the 4B.

• Advertisement

1996 A6 C4 platform

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if the setup is the same as my '98 A6 (as it is in the B5) it can be any of the four control arms per side or the drop links, really. If this is your first outing with an Audi, this is quite normal, not torturously expensive and easily and quickly fitted.

1996 is most likely a 4A so no double upper links. More likely to be an anti roll bar link. Hopefully it's nothing more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

I'm getting the exact same thing except it seems to be coming from the passenger side. The strange thing despite the clunking sounds it makes is theres no physical signs of anything being wrong either through the steering or the suspension. Does this sound like the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Hello Mike. I was having a similar problem on the Octavia although I was getting a kind of a squelching noise along with the knock. I replaced a bush on the front wishbone - it is a meatal ring with a rubber insert and the rubber bit decided it had enough. Replaced it and all is well.... Might be working just checking for worn rubber mounts etc. Also just check the anti-roller back connection has not come loose. Sometimes these are prone to breaking (depending on the car of course)

• Advertisement

I'm going to drop it in for a diagnonis on Wednesday I reckon its a worn rubber bushing too.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Mine turned out to be the anti roll bar link - €80 all in to get fixed

Advertisement