Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General forum slowness and google-analytics...

Options
  • 29-07-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else having long load times over the last few days?
    Forum pages and threads are taking a lot longer to load than usual and I keep seeing "Waiting for www.google-analytics.com" in the staus barwhich I presume is the URL of the keyword generated banner ad.
    It's getting annoying at this stage....any fixes or suggestions? Tried adblock but no dice...same slowness but minus the banner ad. Is this a problem at the google end? If so can they be informed and provide more portals or whatever it is they need to do?
    Or is this a wertz-specific problem...

[edit] BTW page generation times are all < 1 second...but that's not the issue.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Getting a lot of time outs here too.

On a MBP running camino and I have to stop and refresh to load properly :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wertz wrote:
    which I presume is the keyword generated banner ad.
    Its not. Its an activity monitoring tool by Google that allows the admins to see what pages on boards you have clicked into, where you have followed them from, and various other stats about your time here.

Its designed to allow Adwords clients to optimise their campaigns by showing who and where to target.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep all day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Its not. Its an activity monitoring tool by Google that allows the admins to see what pages on boards you have clicked into, where you have followed them from, and various other stats about your time here.

Its designed to allow Adwords clients to optimise their campaigns by showing who and where to target.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Analytics

Ah....then I'm guessing that the one with googlesyndication is what is generating the banner.

The annoying thing right now is that speed's been fine since I posted this thread....the previous two hours were awful. Probably a lot to do with the busy forums (AH, bargains) and time of the day.

*cracks whip in general direction of admins*

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Would updating this help at all....?

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.5

• Advertisement

We updated a few weeks back IIRC

As far as I can see (and I'm no expert) there is a bottleneck in busier forums where the analysis tool/URL is being called multiple times and is slowing down things for everyone.
    Or I could be talking out my arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

well boards is slow But adverts is dead slow.

Wertz wrote:
    We updated a few weeks back IIRC
    There hasn't been a VBulletin update in quite some time now.
    Wertz wrote:
    As far as I can see (and I'm no expert) there is a bottleneck in busier forums where the analysis tool/URL is being called multiple times and is slowing down things for everyone.
    Analytics is a small external Javascript being called from a Google server. While a stalling of the scripts download may slow your browser, it would have nothing to do with boardsies server load.

That said, I haven't been noticing any problems today. There were some issues during the week alright, but nothing in the last two or three days.

Was sure they changed something about 3-4 weeks ago, didn't we get that feature back where you can see who's viewing a forum, and a few other little things...or maybe I imagined it all.

I had no problems all week but yesterday and today it's been 20 second waits for pages that generated in less then a second and in some cases just timeouts.
    No other Irish site is affected and speedtest comes back normal. Nothing else using my bandwidth.
    Maybe I'll try it in IE for a bit and see if that makes any difference...

[edit] Nope it's even worse with IE

Wertz wrote:
    Was sure they changed something about 3-4 weeks ago, didn't we get that feature back where you can see who's viewing a forum, and a few other little things...or maybe I imagined it all.
    Those were long standing VBulletin features that had just been disabled to relieve server load back in the bad old days. They were just recently switched back on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

google-analytics has been an ongoing if somewhat sporadic problem since it was first integrated into the boards.ie matrix.

Mike.

Ah I thought they updated the forumware and just didn't disable the features on the newer version.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's up and down for me (FF 1.5.12).
    It doesn't matter what time of day or how many are on-line.
    Although I did notice earlier that there were 1300 people on-line. This is quite unusual for a Sunday or else boards is becoming more and more popular.

Notice the past week.
    The lowest daily visitation was the 22nd. Last Sunday.

no108.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's pretty sporadic..and annoying. But meh, such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Getting some serious slowness issues here alright. Have to stop and refresh to get every second or third page to load. Can't imagine server loads are overly high at this hour of night either?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've had it on days where there is very few people online or very little activity. as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Constantly having issues. Between it being slow, blank pages and timing out - frustrating!

Advertisement