Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bicycle in Dublin

Options
  • 29-07-2007 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

New to the city and looking for advice about buying a bike.

Where are the best deals etc..Is there any decent place to get a second hand one?

Any advice, greatly received. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Not too sure about buying 2nd hand bikes, but Id love to know you budget. Id advise avoiding the cheap multi suspensioned rubbish you usually find in the Argos catalogues, and pay a visit to cycleways behind Bolton street facing the Ilac centre in town or the Cycle Centre in the Square Tallaght. Id budget at least 300euro for a good starter bike. Under that, you start getting into the world of dodgy cranks, hubs and heavy components. Sean Duffs in Santry (Omni shopping centre), and in Donamede shopping centre has come good bikes also.

Usually in the September / October timeframe, some of this years range of bikes are reduced (by about 10-20%), due to most of the major manufacturers bringing out next years range in around that timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I get all my bikes in little sport in Fairview

great 2nd hand selection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

In get all my bikes in litle sport in Fairview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

TheGooner wrote:
    In get all my bikes in litle sport in Fairview

how many bikes do you need?

i'd recommend cycleways, on parnell st. but if your budget is small, and your the kind of 'a to b' cyclists i'm pretty sure you'll find a bike easily, whether on this forum, buyandsell.net, or visiting bike shops round town. all mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

I have a few bikes to my collection. Some I don't use anymore. People buy 2nd hand bikes and use their parts etc.

Duff's discount cycles in Omni and Donaghmede stated above are good for discount bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

For second hand bikes http://gumtree.ie http://adverts.ie and http://buyandsell.ie are good bets. You can also try Little Sport in Fairview or McCormack's on Dorset St. If you tell us what type of bike you want: commuting/utility or MTB or racer or touring, we can tell you what the budget for a decent bike would be and what the recommended models are.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

It you're near Phibsboro there's a woman sells good second hand bikes from her garden.. it's opposite St Peters' Church on the North Circular side heading towards the Phoenix Park.. they're very good value generally

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Advertisement