Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdip abroad

• 29-07-2007 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey there guys. ive asked this question before on this site, and i didnt get much luck but am gonna try it again, cause im convinced there must be other teachers out there who had difficulty starting off.... my question is has anybody gone abroad to teach with their Hdip?? England, Canada, America, Im not talking Tefl but, but as a full time teacher in the subject you trained in. I recently graduated with Hdip in Art Edu, and am finding it hard to get work in Ireland, I though maybe its best if i start looking futher afield, the only option that has come up is England, im not gone on working in England so has anyone else done it? or what are the procedure's to even look for work in the US?? any help much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sign

Cant help you much but from personal exoperience I did meet a few Spanish people in San Francisco during the summer who were there to become teachers and who already had their primary degrees . Apparently there is a big demand for teachers over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Just from a bit of googling (because i was curious!), it seems that there is a strong demand for foreign teachers in the US. If you look at the bit i've copied below you'll see that apparently there is some particular US qualification (a state qualification that varies in each state) that you need, but that this is often waved (maybe on the condition that you subsequently do the qualification). You are definitely sufficiently educated as the minimum education is the equivalent of a 4-year US Bachelor degree.

I wouldn't say you'll have a problem.

http://www.y-axis.com/services2/Teachers/careersinus.shtml

Schools in large districts in California, New York, Texas, Florida, and Chicago are also offering visas under temporary exchange programs, as well as "emergency" H1-B visas like those issued to ease shortages of high-tech workers. These later offer an option for citizenship.

Annual earnings of kindergarten, elementary and secondary school teachers ranged from $32,000 to $55,000 in 2000. In some schools, teachers receive extra pay for coaching sports and working with students in extracurricular activities. Some teachers earn extra income during the summer working in the school system or in other jobs.

Also have a look at the following: https://www.immigrationsupport.com/library/teachers.asp

the google terms i used were 'teachers US foreign qualification' - and there seems to be loads of relevant websites that might be able to help you.

Obviously if you had Spanish it would be a lot easier, but i presume you don't?

Advertisement