Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from the USA.

Options
  • 29-07-2007 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Whats the procedure?
    First off,find in the US a gun that you would like.Contact the dealer and discuss the price.Mention that you are living outside the Continental United States[CONUS].You might find that the dealer is a Federal Firearms Liscensed dealer that can ship with State Dept permission to Europe.
    Not every FFL dealer in the US is entitled to ship outside CONUS.
    This is courtsey of Mr Klintoon,and the UN and their brilliant efforts at making the world a happier safer place.:rolleyes:

If the seller or dealer wont ship outside the US what do I do??
    Talk to the seller or dealer and ask them will they do an Interstate transfer to a dealer who is State dept authorised to ship and sell outside CONUS.If they will and you want the gun,buy it,pay them the interstate FFL dealer to dealer transfer fee and shipping to the State where the International FFL dealer is.Get the type and serial number off the seller as you will need that for your application for your liscense over here in Ireland.
    BEFORE you do any buying .CONTACT the Intl FFL dealer and discuss this transaction with them,find out how much their fees are and how much their shipping charges per courier are as well.As they WILL NOT ship a firearm by mail or an unliscensed courier. US State dept regulations forbid this.

Where do I find one of them?
    I have used ETSS inc in Littleton ,Colarado. www.etssinc.com.You can try the internet the NRA or this board,as some folks have used some folks in Arizona to do firearms transfers.Be sure that they will do individual firearm shipments.Many will only handle minimum orders of ten or more guns.IOW commerical sales/transfers.

What do these International FFL dealers do?

They accept the interstate firearms transfer of your purchased gun to Co,where they store it ,and apply to the State dept for the export permit to you in Ireland.They then arrange shipping by special courier ONLY to you in Ireland.Usually to the closest international airport,serviced by US Airlines.Dublin or Shannon.

How long does the State Dept take to issue permits?
    When I did mine appx four weeks,as they were changing over the computor system to handle new applications.It should be down to 14/21 days by now.
    US law requires all Govt depts to deal with any applications by the public within 31 working days.So the Intl FFL dealer should have that info wether Yes or no within that time.

What paperwork do I need from here to import the gun?

As this is a sale from outside the EU.This applies to the US,and other non EU countries.However my experiance is US related,so I cant tell you what other Non EU countries need.
    1]Your current firearms certificate. A registerd and certified photocopy of it from your garda station, date stamped.DO NOT send your original liscense as the State dept will hold onto it.
    2]Not required over here ,but it does help in the USA. A letter,fax,email copy from the DOJ stating that the Irish FAC is the import cert,and that no further permits are reqiried.
    Ship these documents to the intl FFL dealer by regd mail and they will start the procedure.Send the payment as well,by however agreed means.Credit card is the best I find.

What happens then?
    Sit back ,wait for the State Dept to do their thing,the Intl FFL dealer will contact you as soon as the gun arrives with them and when they ship it out of CONUS,with which courier company and airline and flight.This usually takes from the US to Ireland 24 hours.
    Find out which airport you will pick it up at.You should specify which one,but sometimes this mightnt be possible.Go there,to which ever courier company or more likely Aer Lingus/ Customs post. Bring your liscense,some extra ID,and shipping papers with the gun details that the Intl FFL,courier company will have sent to you by email ,mail or fax. Be prepared to pay import duty at whatever rate on the gun if it is brand new and unfired.
    TIP if you buy "used"[IE it has been fired just once]which can be done in the US for many reasons,like tried by the dealer for saftey,sighting in,or whatever you can arrange yourself;) you can reduce the import duty substantially.Just get the dealer to provide a piece of paper stating that they "test fired the 2nd hand gun for whatever reason";)
    Pay the admin and import duty,if any. GO HOME with your new gun.:D

How much does it cost?
    All in all with interstate FFL dealer transfer.Intl FFL dealer fees,State dept fees,courier company fees,Irish admin fees.[Excluding import duty]
    Be preparedto pay appx $500 USD MAX for a handgun. Dunno how much for a rifle /shotgun,but I wouldnt assume much more.Consult the Intl FFL dealer.

Is there any guns the State Dept is difficult on?
    YES! full auto stuff,destructive devices,silencers,parts for any of the above.
    And not surprisingly semi autos! However if you can aquire a sporterised version you can export it without much trouble.This is not to say that normal semi black guns are not exportable,they just are scrutinised abit more by the SD as to where they go to.

That's all Folks to importing from the USA!!Simple as that!:D

Is it worth it???
    Most definately!!!
    My Best
    CG

[/B]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

That still seems very complicated CG. An import from an EU state would be less hassle as you would have your Article 7 (for Cat. B firearms) much quicker than the 14/21 days the state dept. handles the paperwork.

Plus from the EU, most of the stuff arrives by post, so no need to go travelling to airports etc.

Transport costs would be less also.

And no duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Well,seeing that this thread was started for people wanting to know how to import from the US and not about the merits of EU Vs US importing complexity.
    No more complicated than sending form X to the DOJ to get Form Y back for the import from the EU.And YES there is import duty and VAT at whatever % the export EU country charges.
    IE EU wholesale dealer buys guns from the USA.They have to go thru all the SD rigamarole and import via courier company.Say 300Euros per gun
    Money added onto the sale price U pay. Now 450 euro
    Import duty on new guns charged at "landfall" country in the EU[say,Germany@18% VAT ] 531 Euros.Dunno what their import duty is on firearms.
    Transport,storage,admin advertisements etc say another 125 euros per gun
    656 euros.
    Gun dealer price inc profit say 200 euros.
    856 Euros to you. Now add on your shipping costs ????

I already owned the Glock, and E350 to import it was a small price considering the RIPPOFF artists here in Ireland want 1000 plus Euros for a second hand gun!!! Thanks but no thanks.Plus with the USD being weak against the Euro at the moment it is still cheaper than the EU.
    Plus I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that paperwork here in Ireland is done within 14/21 days wether it is EU related or not,as there is no law stipulating when paperwork has to be done within a timeframe in the EU or Ireland that I know of.
    Personally with a weak Dollar,a single main piece of paper,no need to swop paper back and forth,and a bigger market to chose from.I'll buy from the US.
    I will never buy again in Ireland,and with great reluctance from the EU,unless it is somthing really special.
    Your money,your choice.:)

Well,seeing that this thread was started for people wanting to know how to import from the US and not about the merits of EU Vs US importing complexity.
    I appreciate that CG, but people need to know all the information and that includes importing from the EU and non-EU europe.
    No more complicated than sending form X to the DOJ to get Form Y back for the import from the EU.And YES there is import duty and VAT at whatever % the export EU country charges.
    There is only VAT. If the firearm was manufactured in the EU there is no duty. There is both when you import from the US.
    Transport,storage,admin advertisements etc say another 125 euros per gun
    656 euros.
    Gun dealer price inc profit say 200 euros.
    856 Euros to you. Now add on your shipping costs ????
    And none of those apply to the US? Shipping costs from EU or non-EU europe range from €35 to €65 for handguns 3/4 days. The other add-ons you quote are ridiculous. 30% markup is just wrong and the €125 has absolutely no basis in fact.
    Plus I SERIOUSLY DOUBT that paperwork here in Ireland is done within 14/21 days wether it is EU related or not,as there is no law stipulating when paperwork has to be done within a timeframe in the EU or Ireland that I know of.
    Article 7's are issued by your local. DOJ paperwork takes about a week. That's the experience of people I know who imported in the last month or so. There is no law, and yes the delays could be longer but they don't seem to be. In one particular case it took less than a month from getting serial number to receipt of firearm.
    Personally with a weak Dollar,a single main piece of paper,no need to swop paper back and forth,and a bigger market to chose from.I'll buy from the US.
    Non-EU European suppliers like Switzerland also work from the same single piece of paper and they don't have to wait for anything bar your licence. btw Glock are made in Austria so what were the prices for the model you were getting like from there? You can buy S/H Glocks in Germany from between €300 and €600 depending on model and condition.

Right then..

rrpc - write out the story about impoting from the EU..
    CG - you have your improrting from the US

Sparks - Merege and sticky!

I don't really have to write it out, it's all here: http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/WP07000541

The department of justice have got a very comprehensive page telling you all you need to know.

Just one thing they don't tell you is that a Category B firearm is basically a pistol.

It's a very simple procedure, the first thing you have to do is actually buy the firearm or at least get an Invoice for it with the serial number.

Everything else follows from that. Licence first, then Article 7 (if required), then Article 11 (the transfer document they refer to - again only required for Cat. B) and then finally the delivery. :D

There are plenty of online dealers in the EU and outside. Your best bet is decide on the firarm you want, go to the manufacturers website and find their dealers and root around for the best price.

• Advertisement

The other add-ons you quote are ridiculous. 30% markup is just wrong and the €125 has absolutely no basis in fact.
    Errr maybe you should try an Irish gun dealer,???and FACT is the rest of the EU has alower rate of VAT than here.Germany is 18%.
    Article 7's are issued by your local. DOJ paperwork takes about a week. That's the experience of people I know who imported in the last month or so. There is no law, and yes the delays could be longer but they don't seem to be. In one particular case it took less than a month from getting serial number to receipt of firearm.

Maybe, maybe not.Lets just say I will belive it when I see it.Plus dont take it literally that the SD will take that long.I said it was when they were doing a computor changeover,so it migh be a lot less now.
    Non-EU European suppliers like Switzerland also work from the same single piece of paper and they don't have to wait for anything bar your licence
    PHEW! You must have money to burn!:D Switzerland is hideously expensive for anything.Esp firearms,although their stuff is brilliant.

btw Glock are made in Austria so what were the prices for the model you were getting like from there? You can buy S/H Glocks in Germany from between €300 and €600 depending on model and condition.

About the same as you quoted.OR compared to brand new made in Symaria GA.Glocks larger US plant $400. 293 Euros by todays Euro /Dollar rate

Errr maybe you should try an Irish gun dealer,???and FACT is the rest of the EU has alower rate of VAT than here.Germany is 18%.
    Which makes it cheaper to import from there than from the US. Anything coming from the US will have 21% Irish VAT added as well as duty and anything coming from the EU will have the rate for that country. So if you buy from Germany you'll pay 18% VAT and no duty. There's not much point in buying a pistol from an Irish gun dealer as they can't hold stock and you have to go through much the same paperwork as if you were bringing it in yourself, so why do it?
    Maybe, maybe not.Lets just say I will belive it when I see it.Plus dont take it literally that the SD will take that long.I said it was when they were doing a computor changeover,so it migh be a lot less now.
    Hold on a second. I gave you a concrete example of an import done in the last month and you choose not to believe it, but at the same time you expect me to believe your experiences. Well??
    PHEW! You must have money to burn!:D Switzerland is hideously expensive for anything.Esp firearms,although their stuff is brilliant.
    It's an Italian firearm which I'm buying from the Swiss agent who is giving me the same price that the manufacturer gave me. The only reason I'm dealing with him is the Italians have only two ways of shipping to Ireland: Expensive and horrendously expensive. The Swiss guy will ship it to me for €65 on receipt of a copy of my licence and a copy of my passport. 4/5 days. The price to me is €200 cheaper than the cheapest one available in the US.
    About the same as you quoted.OR compared to brand new made in Symaria GA.Glocks larger US plant $400. 293 Euros by todays Euro /Dollar rate
    And according to you, you had to add on a further €350 for VAT, duty, shipping, certs etc.

The prices I quoted are plus carriage only, so you're talking about an extra €30 - €60 max.

I also said depending on model and condition. What model did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

RRPC can you give the contact details of the Swiss agent (by PM if you like) ? I've bought 2 firearms abroad, one inf NI and one in Germany without any problems. I'm always interested in new contacts that someone has already used successfully.

thanks

freddieot

Hold on a second. I gave you a concrete example of an import done in the last month and you choose not to believe it, but at the same time you expect me to believe your experiences. Well??

Personally I dont care wether you belive me or not.I was posting a post for people who were enquiring what the procedure is to import from the US. Not to get into a debate wether it is better to import from the US or the EU. Plus I am speaking from personal experiance of importing from the US and dealing with Irish breaucraccy.Both factual.

Typical Italian,expensive and problematic.:rolleyes: So this is an export from the EU back into the EU?
    And according to you, you had to add on a further €350 for VAT, duty, shipping, certs etc.

ERR NO!! 45 Euros for the Irish customs to look at it.Dealer admin was 350 DOLLARS,Shipping 250 DOLLARS.

I also said depending on model and condition. What model did you get?[/
    My own personal one,which I had bought years ago in the US.Glock 17 early
    90s first Gen.No rail or contour grip.

Look, everyone now knows what to do to import from the US and EU so that should sort this.If you are happy importing from the EU fine.I would prefer a wider market and more selection in the US.Either way it is cheaper than buying in Ireland.

freddieot wrote:
    RRPC can you give the contact details of the Swiss agent (by PM if you like) ? I've bought 2 firearms abroad, one inf NI and one in Germany without any problems. I'm always interested in new contacts that someone has already used successfully.

thanks

freddieot

It's the Pardini agent in Switzerland freddiot; Küchler Schiesstreff. He has export permits for Ireland so it's very simple to arrange an import.

He's also agent for Tesro and Rink grips.

www.schiesstreff.ch

Because there is no agent for Pardini in Ireland and the UK can't handle pistols, you get the shooting federation pricelist (25% off RRP).

And considerably cheaper than the US. :D

• Advertisement

Personally I dont care wether you belive me or not.I was posting a post for people who were enquiring what the procedure is to import from the US. Not to get into a debate wether it is better to import from the US or the EU. Plus I am speaking from personal experiance of importing from the US and dealing with Irish breaucraccy.Both factual.

Missed my point completely there CG. It was you disbelieving me I was taking issue with. I was taking you at your word. And by using the word factual you are again implying that I'm not. If you like I can get the person concerned to post here directly in support of the facts.
    Typical Italian,expensive and problematic.:rolleyes: So this is an export from the EU back into the EU?
    Yes indeed, the Italians to be fair couldn't have been more helpful, but they met a brick wall when trying to get their postal service to handle their exports.
    ERR NO!! 45 Euros for the Irish customs to look at it.Dealer admin was 350 DOLLARS,Shipping 250 DOLLARS.
    You really are confusing me here CG, I thought in your earlier post that you had total costs of €350 to bring it in. What you seem to be saying now is the total cost was $600 plus €45 which adds up to €483 by my calculations
    Look, everyone now knows what to do to import from the US and EU so that should sort this.If you are happy importing from the EU fine.I would prefer a wider market and more selection in the US.Either way it is cheaper than buying in Ireland.
    Indeed, although we'll agree to differ on selection. What I'm looking for, generally there's a better selection and availability in Europe.

QUOTE=rrpc]Missed my point completely there CG. It was you disbelieving me I was taking issue with. I was taking you at your word. And by using the word factual you are again implying that I'm not. If you like I can get the person concerned to post here directly in support of the facts.[/QUOTE]

No RR,I think YOU have missed my point.I am stating that I find it difficult to belive from my own FACTUAL experiance,me,personally,from dealing with DOJ and the rest of the procedure here in Ireland that firearms related paperwork could be issued in such a quick time frame.The DOJ when I enquired about importing this last year to a EU dealer in Germany,said they would NINETY days [90] to issue the paperwork!!! Now,if you and everyone else can get it done quicker.Well and good.Maybe they have improved since last year.

Yes indeed, the Italians to be fair couldn't have been more helpful, but they met a brick wall when trying to get their postal service to handle their exports.
    Courier company???
    You really are confusing me here CG, I thought in your earlier post that you had total costs of €350 to bring it in. What you seem to be saying now is the total cost was $600 plus €45 which adds up to €483 by my calculations

Ok,if we are going to be pendantic.I went and dug up my files on this.
    Worked out as 50euros to Irish customs,to open box.
    280 euros shipping
    130USD to intl FFL dealer
    70 USD for FFL to FFL interstate transfer Inc courier fee
    476 Euros Total.
    Knew it was around that figure,but that is it now exactly.Results and mileage may vary.
    Indeed, although we'll agree to differ on selection. What I'm looking for, generally there's a better selection and availability in Europe

Super duper precision target pistols and air rifles???Deffo:D :D Even the US buys them,but they are a specialist field in themselves over there.

No RR,I think YOU have missed my point.I am stating that I find it difficult to belive from my own FACTUAL experiance,me,personally,from dealing with DOJ and the rest of the procedure here in Ireland that firearms related paperwork could be issued in such a quick time frame.The DOJ when I enquired about importing this last year to a EU dealer in Germany,said they would NINETY days [90] to issue the paperwork!!! Now,if you and everyone else can get it done quicker.Well and good.Maybe they have improved since last year.

Well in this case they certainly seem to have been that quick. In fact the chap who organised the paperwork for the individual said that it usually takes about 7 days to get the Article 11 from the DOJ. So perhaps they have improved considerably.
    Courier company???
    That's who they are using hence the exorbitant cost. If you actually check, very few courier companies in Europe will handle firearms, I did and none of the mainstream ones will (DHL, FedEx, UPS etc.) This is a total scandal as the same companies handle firearms in the US no problem. An Post by the way also say they don't handle firearms, but they deliver ones sent by the German postal system for example, go figure that one out.
    476 Euros Total.
    Knew it was around that figure,but that is it now exactly.Results and mileage may vary.
    I wasn't far off at 483 :D
    Super duper precision target pistols and air rifles???Deffo:D :D Even the US buys them,but they are a specialist field in themselves over there.
    Which is why it's important for people to be aware of this. I accept that the vast majority of firearms are cheaper in the US, but I'd have to wonder if the actual costs of getting them here doesn't make it more expensive in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No RR,I think YOU have missed my point.I am stating that I find it difficult to belive from my own FACTUAL experiance,me,personally,from dealing with DOJ and the rest of the procedure here in Ireland that firearms related paperwork could be issued in such a quick time frame.
    Try harder CG :D
    Courier company???
    Most have problems with firearms though.
    476 Euros Total
    Feck that. I'll stick to the EU, thanks CG!
    True, but if you want a deep dish pizza, don't go to naples, you know?

That's who they are using hence the exorbitant cost. If you actually check, very few courier companies in Europe will handle firearms, I did and none of the mainstream ones will (DHL, FedEx, UPS etc.) This is a total scandal as the same companies handle firearms in the US no problem. An Post by the way also say they don't handle firearms, but they deliver ones sent by the German postal system for example, go figure that one out.

Now thats a good un! Thats why I had to get a courier company in the US to deliver to Ireland.None of the top courier cdompanies would handle it to the EU!!An Post proably means they wont accept from Ireland to the EU or around the 32/UK??

Sparks,
    No sane[?] Italian would eat or make such an abomination anyway.

Which is why it's important for people to be aware of this. I accept that the vast majority of firearms are cheaper in the US, but I'd have to wonder if the actual costs of getting them here doesn't make it more expensive in the long run.

Suppose it is all quantative.Is it worth it for a $200 rifle,or is it worth it for a 2,000$ rifle??:)

Now thats a good un! Thats why I had to get a courier company in the US to deliver to Ireland.None of the top courier cdompanies would handle it to the EU!!An Post proably means they wont accept from Ireland to the EU or around the 32/UK??
    Won't take in either according to them. Normally you can arrange collection by An Post for anywhere around the world, but not for firearms.

I'll make no comment about the pizza other than that Sparks should not be eating them. :D
    Suppose it is all quantative.Is it worth it for a $200 rifle,or is it worth it for a 2,000$ rifle??:)

The latter I'd suspect, but seriously there certainly is a far better choice in Europe. I mean you were importing an EU made firearm back into the EU regardless of the fact that it was actually manufactured in the US. The best manufacturers are still in Europe, it's just that the marketing weight is skewed by the size of the US market.

Manufacturers like Anschütz, Peters Stahl, Walther, Pardini, Feinwerkbaü, Tesro, Morini, Beretta, Matchguns, FN, Unique, CZ, Benelli, Glock, Baikal to name a few :D are all European and are all excellent manufacturers.

I'm sure I've left out a few ;)

I thought that Baikal were Russian?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

They are. It just depends on whether you count Russia as Europe or Asia. :D

Baikal is east of the Urals though, so usually that counts as Asia.

A good chunk of Russia is considered to be in Europe. Everything west of the Urals as far as I can remember.

In any event, Baikal is based in Izhevsk which is in the Western Urals republic of Udmurt. Interestingly the name comes from the Izh river which most people will recognise as the name of the famous target pistols produced by Baikal.

IRLConor wrote:
    They are. It just depends on whether you count Russia as Europe or Asia. :D

Baikal is east of the Urals though, so usually that counts as Asia.

Western Urals according to my map :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

rrpc wrote:
    Western Urals according to my map :)

Well, Lake Baikal (which I had assumed was roughly where they were) is in Siberia which last time I checked. Not my fault they have a misleading name. :)

IRLConor wrote:
    Well, Lake Baikal (which I had assumed was roughly where they were) is in Siberia which last time I checked. Not my fault they have a misleading name. :)

The name of the company is Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod, not misleading at all :)

But I agree, I originally thought Baikal was where they were until I found their website www.baiaklinc.ru

But don't go there, the bit we're interested in is here:
    http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/open/weapon.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

Don't buy a gun in the USA if you don't want to. For a lot of guns there aren't many options on where you buy , so some people choose or are forced to buy a gun in from the States. Clare gunner's post was a detailed instruction on how to do this, so something like 'Thanks CG, that'll prove very helpful for anyone that wants to import from the States' might be a more appropriate response. I'm not trying to deny anyone of their opinions or privilages of free speech, but when someone goes to the trouble of contributing something useful to the boards (it's rare enough this happens), a little appreciation wouldn't go astray. Anyway the important thing is that we all try and avoid buying from ripp-off artist Irish dealers, whether we get our guns from Switzerland or from Viktor Bout. :)

Thanks CG, that'll prove very helpful for anyone that wants to import from the States :D

[
    Manufacturers like Anschütz, Peters Stahl, Walther, Pardini, Feinwerkbaü, Tesro, Morini, Beretta, Matchguns, FN, Unique, CZ, Benelli, Glock, Baikal to name a few :D are all European and are all excellent manufacturers.

I'm sure I've left out a few ;)
    [/QUOTE]
    sure you have BUT
    Glock has a plant in Symeria[sic] GA
    so it can also be classified as US made to supply the US market.
    Benelli ,as it supplies the US armed forces with shotguns..made in the USA.
    Ditto Beretta with the M9 pistol.
    WaltherI belive is making stuff under liscense over there,
    FN,with the possibility of their SCAR rifle becoming the sucessor to the M16 has set up or is building a plant over there as well.Ditto HK.
    Peters Stahl went belly up a good few years ago and was bought out by a US company who re financed it and set it up again in Germany,after exporting the knowledge to the US.
    Saying it is european,german,british, american etc ,means nowt anymore.
    It is assembled where the workforce is cheapest and the plant is located to supply the local and international market,before the accounts decide it isnt viable anymore.. Saying you drive a British Rolls Royce or a Italian Bugatti is laughable anymore.BMW ownes RR and VW ownes Bugatti.Just as much as saying Mercedes is German.It is owned by the US Chrysler corporation[hence Merc quality control and parts is down the Jacks]
    Sure,it might be "made" in the country,but that does not say the "policy" of the new bosses on quality control,pride in workmanship etc,is going to be as top notch as the original company set out to achive.
    What I am sating is;dont belive because somthing is from Europe,Us or whereever that it is actually made there.Nor does it mean it is inferior quality either.

rrpc wrote:
    Thanks CG, that'll prove very helpful for anyone that wants to import from the States :D

Not a problem!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So importing a regular firearm outside of conus is difficult for a us dealer; what about C&R and pre- 1898/99 firearms?
    Could i licence a trapdoor or similar here and just have it sent here no bother then?

Dunno about that.All I can tell you is Black Powder weapons if old or modern replicas are not considerd firearms.That applies to muzzle loaders,not sure about BP cartridge guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

CG - I'm the guy referred to by rrpc who imported the pistol from the EU.

For info I'll give you the timeline:

First off - this was not a personal import. I used a firearms dealer who didn't rip me off. I was buying a target pistol and he found me a supplier in Germany. I found his margin over the wholesaler price acceptable as he was just covering his delivery costs.

The DOJ require all firearms dealers who import pistols (Category B firearms) to get an article 7 from the prospective purchaser. This effectively means that you can't go to a dealer and get a pistol "off the shelf" as they can only import on the basis of individual orders (well, maybe you can if it's been on the shelf for years ;)).

The dealer got the serial number of the pistol and sent me the sales advice on Monday 11th June. Off I trot to my local Garda station, have a chat with the FO and he tells me that if I brought in my licence he would change the details there and then providing I gave my existing pistol back to the firearms dealer. Two days later I had the existing pistol back with the dealer and called back to the station. Discovered he was on a little break.... by Friday 15th, though I had the amended licence (yes - cross out old serial number in biro and insert new and stamp the cert, simple as that!). Off I go to the district office and apply for an Article 7. Only a district office (where the superintendent works!) can issue an Article 7. This gives an individual a permission to import a firearm from another EU state. If you were doing a personal importation of a firearm this would normally be all you would need for the foreign dealer (plus a copy of your licence). On that particular day (15th), no-one in the district office seemed to know how to process an Article 7, though! Monday dawned and I phoned the office to see what the story was. The relevant expert was back in the office from her holidays and she told me I could collect it later that day. Faxed and posted the Article 7 to the dealer and he applied for the Article 11 (permit for a dealer to import a firearm).

Monday 25th the German dealer posted the pistol and I was given the tracking number. Standard registered post from Germany was used as the various courier firms do NOT handle firearms. I was able to track the parcel as far as the exit from Germany on Thursday 28th.

My Irish dealer received the pistol from the postman on Tuesday 3rd July and I had it in my mitts the following day! The whole process from initial order to delivery only took just over a month.:D

• Advertisement

Fat Tony,
    I am not doubting you or RRPC at all.
    Glad that it was so prompt.Now,the only trouble is can we take that this will be or is the norm for paperwork,or is this because you folks have a copped on[excuse the pun] Gardai FAO and Super?Again,results may vary on your local Super.Ironically the time frame was the same from paperwork to delivery in both the US and EU.A month.So at least THAT is a pertinent bit of info any prospective buyer might want to take aboard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement