Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Galway

Options
  • 29-07-2007 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm moving to Galway(knocknacarra) and I've been asked to sort out the intenret and phoneline. I need broadband but I'm unsure how to go about it. Can anyone here reccomend me a good ISP? Ideally I'd get 3Mps and would be able to have internet on two different computers. Also I'd like a package that gives me landline as I'm starting living in Ireland from scratch

Thanks

Cian

*later addition* the following is available to me, how does this package look?

::::::::::::

Metro

Upload speed: 512
    Download speed: 3072
    Contention: 36:1
    Connection type: Wireless
    Installation Cost: € 99.00
    Monthly Cost: € 34.99
    Cost year 1: € 518.88

Bundled Package

Includes Homephone line. Free Metro to Metro customer calls Call rates Below
    · No phone line required, over wireless technology

· Contention 36:1

· 12 month contract and a 10 Day delivery time

Pay Annually and receive a free digital cordless phone worth €40 and 1080 free minutes of national calls worth €32, a total saving of €72.*
    * 90 minutes per month for 12 months, unused minutes are not carried over.

Delivered through wireless technology
    Customers are connected to the Digiweb network using an external antenna. Before the customer is installed, engineers perform a quality check to ensure a valid signal can be received.

Connectivity is generally available within 5km of each high site. For the wireless service to work the customer antenna must have an unobstructed view - 'line of sight' (LOS) of a nearby base station.An engineer will call out and survey. Providing that there is LOS, the Digiweb engineers will drop a cat 5 cable from the antenna on your property down into a location close to your computer.

If you want to go completely wireless you will need to purchase a wireless LAN card and router, which can then be connected to the Digiweb connection.

Price €34.99 per month
    Destination Daytime Ex. Vat Daytime inc.Vat
    Local 2.70c 3.27c
    National 2.70c 3.27c
    Mobile 18.99c 22.98c
    UK 4.72c 5.71c
    Near Europe 11.90c 14.40c
    Mid Europe 12.48c 15.10c
    Far Europe 32.06c 38.80c
    USA/Canada 6.96c 8.42c
    Mexico/Caribbean 45.06c 54.52c
    Australia/New Zealand 32.59c 39.43c
    Middle East/South Africa 73.55c 88.99c
    Rest of Pacific Rim 65.13c 78.81c
    Rest of World 144.84c 175.25c

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You should be aware that Digiweb regard the phone service as 'supplementary' and there have been a lot of complaints on here about that aspect of their service so if you think the phone is going to be important to you do your research!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055121535

Also if you are a big down loader digiweb 'choke' you if you exceed your cap - some people find this irritating it may not be an issue for you at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

Damn. Can you give me another reccomendation?

The post seems to say Digiweb offer a reasonable broadband. Should I get a different phone server?

What does a supplementary service mean?

Thanks
    Cian

I found this one, is this better? I can get a seperate phone line.

NTL Broadband

Upload speed: 300
    Download speed: 3068
    Contention: 17:1
    Connection type: Cable
    Installation Cost: € 0.00
    Monthly Cost: € 29.99
    Cost year 1: € 359.88

NtL Broadband:

High Speed Broadband delivered over the NTL cable network. No additional costs to pay, with the reliability of a cabled connection

3Mb downstream; 300Kb upstream
    24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
    No telephone line required
    30GB download limit - which is about 19,000 songs.
    Up to 15 email addresses
    Installation cost FREE Monthly subscription: €29.99

Wireless Router €45 installed and maintained by NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well you can use other VOIP services over digiweb broadband. As long as their BB is reliable which it seems to be, just find a reliable VOIP provider.

Advertisement