Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8800GTX Power supply

Options
  • 29-07-2007 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Havin probs with power supply ( i think !)
    setup is

Asus P5nSLi
    E6600 (o'clcocked to 2.9)
    8800gtx
    2 dvd/cd
    zalman cooler
    sb card
    nic
    usb printer and normal attachments - wheel/stick/mp3/external dirve
    dell 3007
    maxtor & barracuda disks

at first all seemed fine - 3dmark was gettin around 9,800 but lately scores dropped to 6,500 !!!!

have spent ages changing nvidia drivers - makin sure directx updated etc but have come to conclusion that i am lacking power - especially as it is the more demanding 3dmark benchmarks that suffer the worst - plus i am getting more game crashes than ever b4

its an ankermann pc - got a 525 psu

am goin to upgrade to a 700-800 psu as it is only thing i havnt tried

any ideas?

thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Ive an OCZ 700 Watt and its great, Im upgrading to a 1000 watt soon for SLI so if you like I could sell you this one on the cheap I only bought it about 3 months ago.

Either way your best off sticking with good name brand PSU's!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

@ Daz

you can get sli working on a 500/600w psu no problems as long as you dont have a load of hdds or optical drives. 1000W is totally OTT. And you are going to see a huge price jump in your esb bills. Stick with you 700w ocz for now.

@ OP

Before you go changing to a new psu. Can you check your systems temps?

Use speedfan to monitor the cpu and chipset/hdds, And use ntune to monitor the 8800gtx. There is also a small bug inthe latest ntune that sets the 8800gtx fan to 59% the whole time. Simply click the manual fan control and set it to 100%

If your cpu stays under 65c under full load, and the graphics card under 105c then you can consider buying a new psu.

Advertisement