Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

webcam not meet system requirement?

• 29-07-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I just bought 2 webcams...."Advent ADE-300N" for my laptops.

On the box, it says that the minimum system requirements are "Windows XP"and "IBM compatible PC with Intel Pentium III 700Mhz."

Both of my laptops have windows XP....one has a 'pentium M' chip, the other an 'AMD athlon' chip. The webcam is causing a problem for my AMD athlon laptop (it causes the screen to freeze when i turn the computer off). It works fine for the other computer (the one with the pentium M chip).

Is there a compatibility issue given that i've an AMD athlon chip? Is that the reason it's causing trouble for that computer? Or is it something else?

Warm Regards,
    Shinto.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

No, it's not the Athlon thats causing the problem. They're pretty much identical to Pentium chips. It must be some issue with something else in the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Thanks DemonoftheAutumn. That's good to know. Maybe my comp doesnt like the software that the webcam came with (Arcsoft Videoimpression2).

So im gonna surf the web to find some generic webcam software that i can download to see if that is more compatible.

thanks again

Thanks DemonoftheAutumn. That's good to know. Maybe my comp doesnt like the software that the webcam came with (Arcsoft Videoimpression2).

So im gonna surf the web to find some generic webcam software that i can download to see if that is more compatible.

thanks again

It took me 2 days to solve this problem. Other people on the web had similar probs, but nobody on any forums ever reported back on how they solved the problem....so thats why im writing here...incase anyone else has a problem with the Advent ADE 300N webcam.

It is designed for Windows XP, but it doesnt have a digital signiture. That can be worked around. I went to Internet Options, then Advanced, then Security, then ticked the box that said "allow software to run even if its invalid." The webcam now works, with no bad side effects.

I also went to 'System Properties', then hit the Advanced tab, then Performance Settings button, then 'Data Execution Prevention' and allowed the Webcams software to be ignored by the DEP.

I then went back to Internet Options and unticked the "allow software to run even if its invalid" to make things safer again. All is working grand now. What a pain in the ar*e this has all been.

Vive Sarkozy.

Advertisement