Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor fan ducting

Options
  • 29-07-2007 9:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm installing a kitchen extractor fan, but it doesn't come with any ducting for venting out the air. I bought a length of regular flexible ducting, I think its about 120mm wide, but doesn't fit into the back of the fan. Can you get wider ducting? Or can I just duck tape it in place? Couldn't see any wider ducting in woodies.

thanks,
    J

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You should be able to get ducting to suit your fan. Is it too small or too big, and by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't down-grade the fan by using smaller ducting. You'll restrict the flow at high speeds.
    As Mr Magnolia said, get the correct ducting, and the best place to source it should be where you got the fan! Good luck!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ducting is usually 4", 5" or 6" for extractor hoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

byte wrote:
    Ducting is usually 4", 5" or 6" for extractor hoods.

or 100mm, 120mm, 150mm

You can also get a flat (rectangular) version which is handy for hiding ontop of cupboards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hi

does anybody know where I can actually source 5inch/125mm flexible ducting, everywhere we've tried has 4/100 or 6/150 only.

Thanks
    SSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

how much of the 5" ducting do you need? is it plastic or metal u need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Got the little bit we needed (insulated metallized stuff) in the end from Irish Fan Distributors in Waterford, they do all of the flat stuff, brackets, spigots etc. too. - www.irishfandist.com.

No connection BTW.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I know of a house that sustained major fire damage because of the type of pipe used in the vent. Basically a cooking fire (I have no idea how big this was) managed to get into the pipe, which being plastic, melted and this allowed the fire into the cavity insulation. I would consider metal for that reason.

Advertisement