Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Hardness In Ratoath

Options
  • 29-07-2007 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Obviously anyone who lives in Ratoath knows that its almost solid lime that flows from the taps as opposed to water, so what have people done to remedy this? I know there are a lot of people who have installed softening systems but ive never really gotten any feedback as to whether they are any use or not...

So anyone got any information to share? Its a real pain in the arse having to descale everything so often, in which case its almost a waste of time coz (particularly in the case of the kettle) its back on it as soon as you clean it :mad:. Im well sick of it...

Any other solutions as opposed to water softening? Apart from moving to a different part of the country that is :D.

Lime Head

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

a guy called to our door selling water softeners about 3/4 months ago,cost about 1600 but the best money spent, no more time descaling kettles,it even breaks down the limescale in your heating system plus you get clean drinking water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Sounds good, dont suppose you have contact details for the company / guy that supplied it?

To what extent does it remove the lime from things? As in, is it totally gone? Have you had to descale anything since? Hows your shower head?

Sorry about the barrage of questions, i just want to have as much information as possible about it...

Thanks again for the response...

Head

Heres the link for there web site contact numbers are on there www.ewtechnologies.ie/ they will come out and give you a demo before you decide to buy.I think they are based in blanchardstown. As for descaling we dont have to do it any more hope this helps

Rock on! :D

Thanks for that indeed, perhaps decent water is only a few weeks away finally!

Lime Head

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

I was just about to post a question linked to this, so this seems a good place to put it.

I'm in Ashbourne and the water hardness has been the same as Ratoath (pretty dire), same source I think. However, I noticed the other day that glasses left to dry after being washed in the sink did not have the usual calcium spots they usually have. Also the limescale in the kettle seems to be falling away. We don't have any water softener or anything like that.

Has the water source for Ashbourne/Ratoath changed in the last few weeks, does anyone know?

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Another Irish company providing this kind of equipment is Water2buy.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Trojan wrote:
    Another Irish company providing this kind of equipment is Water2buy.ie.

Second that

Benster wrote:
    I was just about to post a question linked to this, so this seems a good place to put it.

I'm in Ashbourne and the water hardness has been the same as Ratoath (pretty dire), same source I think. However, I noticed the other day that glasses left to dry after being washed in the sink did not have the usual calcium spots they usually have. Also the limescale in the kettle seems to be falling away. We don't have any water softener or anything like that.

Has the water source for Ashbourne/Ratoath changed in the last few weeks, does anyone know?

B.

Interesting indeed, wouldnt that be great news...

Head

I know its been ages since anyone posted here but I thought I would update it anyway. We finally got our water sorted at last. We got a flier through the door a few months back from "The Water Treatment Centre" and they had some impressive guarantees and assurances about getting rid of lime forever etc... so I gave them a call and the guy came and did a demo and we had it installed a week later.

Best money ever spent. Within a week you could actually see your reflection in the bottom of the kettle, incredible! Not a single speck of lime anywhere in the house now, its great! Lifetime guarantee even if you move house and they will come and move the system for you too etc...

Its like having a shower with silk flowing from the shower head now as opposed to little darts of glass... Yum!

We also got an extra tap put in the kitchen for drinking water too and that is equally incredible.

Done!

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Head wrote: »
    I know its been ages since anyone posted here but I thought I would update it anyway. We finally got our water sorted at last. We got a flier through the door a few months back from "The Water Treatment Centre" and they had some impressive guarantees and assurances about getting rid of lime forever etc... so I gave them a call and the guy came and did a demo and we had it installed a week later.

Best money ever spent. Within a week you could actually see your reflection in the bottom of the kettle, incredible! Not a single speck of lime anywhere in the house now, its great! Lifetime guarantee even if you move house and they will come and move the system for you too etc...

Its like having a shower with silk flowing from the shower head now as opposed to little darts of glass... Yum!

We also got an extra tap put in the kitchen for drinking water too and that is equally incredible.

Done!

Head

Was it big money?

• Advertisement

It was around 4K, which is the biggest system they have. They have a medium sized and a small sized system too and they are about 3K and 2K respectively as far as I remember...

We took the big one because we intend to stay in this house for a good few years yet and will be having a couple more kids (hopefully) so it was an investment in the future as such...

Ro

4K!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Ah, feck that, i thought you were going to say three or four hundred euro!

Well, go luck with it anyway!

Its a lot alright but from my research and experience theres no way you will get something for a few hundred quid that will effectively sort out the lime problem permanently. This one sorts ALL the water in the house, its installed on the mains outside the house so it is effective on showers, rads, boiler, washing machine, dishwasher etc...

Ro

With all the talk on newstalk this morning by the EPA about 1/3 of the country experiencing water problems at the moment... it looks like you invested well!

Oh yeah I heard about 10 seconds of that and it didn't sound good!

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭rimshott

Its a lot alright but from my research and experience theres no way you will get something for a few hundred quid that will effectively sort out the lime problem permanently. This one sorts ALL the water in the house, its installed on the mains outside the house so it is effective on showers, rads, boiler, washing machine, dishwasher etc...

Ro

Sorry to burst your bubble "head" but you were robbed.
    Firstly you say from your "research and experience theres no way you will get something for a few hundred quid that will effectively sort out the limescale problem permanently".

Are you joking me :eek: you just blew 4K. Thats not an investment??
    You were told early on in this thread to check out www.water2buy.ie
    now i live in curragha, and had the same problems as yourself with limescale and also had this guy from www.thewatertreatmentcentre.ie call out to the house. He done his water tests and gave me the whole show about how great his product is etc. etc.
    They give a 15 year guarantee. Not a life time guarantee!
    Now i know thats a lot more that any other company out their selling similiar types of softeners. And this was his main selling point. Quote "Our product is made in the UK, not imported from China/thailand/ etc.

My answer to him was: "so what"! I can replace it 3 to 4 times for the same price he was quoting me!!
    Personally for the system we needed he quoted us E 2,800.
    I bought the exact same specification softner and 5 stage reverse osomomis through water2buy.ie for E700.
    Now the only difference was i had to install it myself which was as simple as installing a washing machine. And i didn't get any external timber box to put the system in. :) I laughed when he (wtc) tried to use this as a selling point.
    We also had to purchase a water tap (E25) for drinking water.
    All in we spent about E750 incl filters and salt.

Now we only have a 3 year parts guarantee. But if anything goes wrong sure we can replace it.

I could do alot with 4 K.
    To anybody else out their thinking of spending big bucks remember - research- research- research.

But then again Ratoath village does have the highest rate of millionaires per head of cap of any other village in Ireland. :)

rimshott wrote: »
    To anybody else out their thinking of spending big bucks remember - research- research- research.

But then again Ratoath village does have the highest rate of millionaires per head of cap of any other village in Ireland. :)

You must have done a lot of research - research - research to come up with a statistic like that then? :p

I accept your points about the water system, perhaps I could have bought it for less, but I'm happy with what I have so I don't feel ripped off...

Head

ive already posted on this HEAD you got stung .no way near what i paid .1600 or thereabouts that was for filter for whole house and got a filter for drinking water under sink and they ran a connection to my american fridge so i dont need to keep replacing the water filter on that and the rep called last week to ask was everything ok with the system and was i happy with it. my mate lives in laytown he paid 5 grand .

You must have done a lot of research - research - research to come up with a statistic like that then? :p

I accept your points about the water system, perhaps I could have bought it for less, but I'm happy with what I have so I don't feel ripped off...

Head

http://www.mcconnonestates.ie/LoadPageview.asp?PageID=4

Check out www.cso.ie for 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I got a leaflet in my door the other day for EW Technologies

Anyone used them before? Good or bad?

My softener has gone on the blink and needs replacing...

• Advertisement

rimshott wrote: »

Well that puts me in my place :rolleyes:. Sadly I'm not one of them millionaires however. Although maybe I would be a step closer if I didnt waste so much money on water systems for my house :D.

R

mick_irl wrote: »
    I got a leaflet in my door the other day for EW Technologies

Anyone used them before? Good or bad?

My softener has gone on the blink and needs replacing...

Go back to start of this thread

I've read the thread jazoo...was looking for more info!

Did you get just the softener or the reverse osmosis kit too?

I've read the thread jazoo...was looking for more info!

Did you get just the softener or the reverse osmosis kit too?

yeah got the osmosis also. think it all cost 1,600 but well worth it no more lime scale,proper showers. due a service in april cost about 110euro money well spent. as i said earlier my friend lives in laytown he spent nearly 5 grand

Booked them to come fit a softener on Tuesday...

Bye bye lime!

Booked them to come fit a softener on Tuesday...

Bye bye lime!

Just out of curiosity how much did you pay?
    Please don't say you forked over E1600?

Exact same set up on water2buy.ie for E674.
    Thats a saving of E926.

Less 1 hours installation - they even show you a video of how to install it yourself, its that easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I was looking at a system from this crowd. Is it any use (living in Dunshaughlin ad the water is in a woeful state) in relation to filters and systems in general how much is the upkeep on them.
    http://www.sdf.ie/default.htm

My uncle lives in Ratoath and bought a system (for about €1600) that uses salt filters which have to be replaced three times a year at €140 a pop.

GDM wrote: »
    My uncle lives in Ratoath and bought a system (for about €1600) that uses salt filters which have to be replaced three times a year at €140 a pop.

I havent heard of "salt filters" as such, its usually just the salt that needs to be kept topped up. The filters might be for getting rid of the bacteria and other bits in the water once it has been softened?

Perhaps there are salt filters but I haven't heard about them before and certainly havent heard of a system that need parts replacing 3 times yearly, that sound a bit much...

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

€1600 is crazy for a wather softner.....I got my water softener from Aqua Treatment in Portlaoise. The unit i got is a good sized unit (not one of those mickey mouse under sink ones) and i got it installed in a utility press in the utilty room. And extra €150 install it and €650 for the unit - all in €800 inclusive of VAT. The installer was brill, no mess or hassles.
    Full 12 month warranty on it, and all parts, every single part is replaceable and instock with the supplier in portlaoise- unlike many of the ****ty Italian made units out there.

It does a REGENERATION every second night @ 2am and is working a treat. Its using one bag of salt each month and a bag of salt is just €7 so its easy to run -
    Billy Gorman runs Aqua treament - 086 8210545/087 2580318 or 057 86 22400.

rgds,

Nif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 denisry

Hi
    You Could Buy a Lot of Bottled Water for 4k Delivered to your Door with a Free Cooler
    19 litre Size . Delivered all over Meath . From Spring Valley Water . 046 9437566
    Great Service You Get 3 19 litre Bottle Water and A Free Cooler for €8.25 a Week
    Free Trial also , so if you dont like , you give back
    D

Advertisement