Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand tyres

Options
  • 30-07-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I'm currently selling my car and am thinking of dropping the price by selling it with a cheaper set of alloy wheels I have. Then I can sell the good alloys separately and I should be able to get good money for them as they are shod with very good, barely used tyres.

The problem is that the cheaper set has only 2 tyres, and I need to get another 2. I don't want to buy new ones, as I'm selling the car and do not want to put any more money into it. Is there anyone on here with 2 not-so-new tyres, or could you recommend some place I could get some?

The size I'm looking for is 15" - specifically 195/50/15, but anything close will do.
    All help appreciated,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

theres cobys tires up by the side of the red cow he usually has a good stash of part worns there!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'm currently selling my car and am thinking of dropping the price by selling it with a cheaper set of alloy wheels I have. Then I can sell the good alloys separately and I should be able to get good money for them as they are shod with very good, barely used tyres.

The problem is that the cheaper set has only 2 tyres, and I need to get another 2. I don't want to buy new ones, as I'm selling the car and do not want to put any more money into it. Is there anyone on here with 2 not-so-new tyres, or could you recommend some place I could get some?

The size I'm looking for is 15" - specifically 195/50/15, but anything close will do.
    All help appreciated,
    Dave

Have you priced a new budget set of tyres? I know you're selling the car, but I'd never put used tyres on a car, never know how they've been treated. That size of tyre should be available in budget brands for under €50 a pop. Spending €100 shouldn't be too much unless it really is a very cheap car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I see where you are coming from but stuff like tyres and brakes are vital to safety. Occupants lives depend on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

i am not looking for bald tyres and putting the buyer at risk. i just think that putting €110 for rubber and €40 for fitting is putting too much into a car i am trying to get money OUT of.

the best price i can get so far is €80 for part-worn tyres fitted...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

They don't have to be bald to be ****e tyres though. Spend the extra €50 or so and stick new ones one.

Used tyres are for mugs, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

the best price i can get so far is €80 for part-worn tyres fitted...

If you could get new tryes for €100 or so then spent the little bit extra and do a favour for the new owner.

Alternatively you could show the car with the new alloys and tyres, state your full price. Let them know they could have a discount if they would accept the cheaper alloys. If they're going down that route explain that you will put on 2 'decent' tyres when your swapping over the alloys, or if they wanted 2 or 4 brand new tyres you would chip in €80 or €100 euro towards that. They would obviously have to give you a sufficient deposit to get the tyres done before handing over the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciscokidder

smokey2 wrote:
    theres cobys tires up by the side of the red cow he usually has a good stash of part worns there!!

I paid 50 quid there for a replacement tyre recently, it looked absolutely mint. Saved me 60 quid. Had a new tyre on the spare so used the spare and put the colby one into the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

A second hand is a tyre that some other driver has taken off as they were told the tyre was no good.
    Now you are being told the tyre is ok.
    doesn't add up really does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

certain types of repair are not allowed in other countries, also can come off damaged cars

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I wouldnt fancy buying tyres off a crashed car myself, no way to tell of alny potential hidden damage (sidewall etc)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

PauloMN wrote:
    They don't have to be bald to be ****e tyres though.
    They just have to have the word Nankang on the side...

Advertisement