Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Comedians

• 30-07-2007 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

So who is the Comedian or Comedians that you just cant stomach whatsoever for me its Neil Delamer this guy is just not funny and the other guy who i can not stomach just has to be Bill Bailey, he is another guy who is just not funny.

Over to you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

any of the female kind, i'm sorry i'm not being sexist but they just aren't funny at all.

Man we could really do with that comedy/stand-up forum right about now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

not really much of a fan of female comics myself.. don't know why, just don't get female humour I guess

Sarah Silverman is pretty good though, she's not incredibly funny.. but she is dirty, and hot.

Pretty hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPiFhjCxXpk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Saw Neil Delamere live. He's hilarious. And I'm also a big Bill Bailey fan.
    There are good female comedians. Sarah Silverman for example is quite funny.

I can't stand Maeve Higgins (from Naked Camera). I was at a live gig she did in UCD as a warm-up for PJ Gallagher and she was booed off the stage.
    I really don't like Ed Byrne. I don't find him funny, I think he's incredibly annoying.
    Not a big Jason Byrne fan either. He's too in-your-face all the time.

I find that most Irish comedians are not the least bit funny. They all rely on the same tired observations, which were never funny to begin with and repeating them endlesly isn't going to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Ed Byrne.

:mad:

Delusional pric!<! Oooo.. I really don't like him at all, at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Harry Hill.

I can't even refer to him as a comedian, he has never caused me to even break a smile, I just don't understand how he has had a tv show/s?!

Does anyone like this guy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

never liked billy connolly, i always got the impression that people laughed at him just because he was billy connolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The-Rigger wrote:
    Harry Hill.

I can't even refer to him as a comedian, he has never caused me to even break a smile, I just don't understand how he has had a tv show/s?!

I liked Harry Hill's TV Burp, although that was probably scripted by other comedians. His mannerisms bug me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Chelsea Handler and John Henson.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The-Rigger wrote:
    Harry Hill.

I watched one of his stand up shows the other day and enjoyed it. I think it caught me in a good mood though, and I can very much see how someone would despise him. Forgettable but sometimes amusing stuff.

Really awful comedians? Anyone with a high pitched voice, like that fellow from the Saturday Night Project. Also, Jo Brand - abysmal.

Jason Byrne wrecks my head, as does the spectacularly unfunny Ed Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

All females, Ed Byrne and....Ray Foley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

rb_ie wrote:
    All females and Ed Byrne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Seinfeld, FFS did no one else notice how truly Sh1ie his tv show was, christ I've had funnier hernias

and in Bill Baileys defence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Steyr wrote:
    the other guy who i can not stomach just has to be Bill Bailey, he is another guy who is just not funny.
    What?! BB is one of the funniest sentinent beings in the known universe!

My particular hit list is:

1. Deirdre Kane: The funniest thing she ever did was trying to recently 'crack' Holywood; normally comedians who take that career route have 'cracked' comedy first. Unfunny and not as cute as she thinks she is.

2. Eddie Izzard: Sorry, just don't get it.

3. Bernard Manning: Jesus wanted him for a sunbeam.

4. Harry Hill: To quote Mark E. Smith - "Harry Hill encapsulates everything wrong with British society. What signals is he sending out to his big white shirt and large NHS spectacles? Fooling about, a qualified doctor needed by everybody."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Des Bishop.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Seinfeld, FFS did no one else notice how truly Sh1ie his tv show was, christ I've had funnier hernias

Agree 100%, Seinfeld absolutely sucked. How it was so popular defies belief. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Gerry Mallon, the man who runs the comedy club in Galway, whose main skill appears to be staggering around the stage mumbling incoherently while sweating up a storm. Oh and poo jokes.

Seriously, most comedians in this country have lost the plot. I once saw one fella pick randomly some poor bastard from the front of the crowd and heckle him, before calling the bouncers to throw him out (despite that the young lad had done nothing in return). They did too. I think they pick real arseholes to "soften up" the crowd before the funnymen come on. Another genuine monkey Mallon masterpiece.

Not to mention that these stand up acts, lets face it, they are mostly just crap. Real comedy comes from unexpected quips and genuine original humour, not forcing it with routines and whatnot. If you're expecting to laugh, its just not funny. And bullying people, trying to reverse the original role of the jester, is just pathetic. The word "professional comedian" definetely makes my finger reach for the "first against the wall" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

RVD420 wrote:
    Agree 100%, Seinfeld absolutely sucked. How it was so popular defies belief. :confused:

His stand-up as awful stuff altogether but Seinfeld the show was sublime stuff. One of the funniest programmes ever on television.
    There's a clear seperation of the two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Jaysis I can't handle Ed Byrne/Des Bishop or that clown that warms up for Jason Byrne - John Henderson

Yeuucccch! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Went to see Dara O Brien live one night, nearly fell off my chair with boredom. No, you are not fuking funny.

jason Byrne - absolute retard, school kid humour, I will punch him in the face if I ever see him in person.

Neil Delamere - YAWNFEST

There are few comedians who can top the real pros, Billy Connolly being the main one. You can always tell real talent because they're the guys who don't script their jokes - they just go on stage and make people laugh natuarally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have seen Neil Delamere MC live a load of times, and he has had the room in stitches - he is brilliantly funny live.

I ahve to say I find most comedians who bring any sort of musical instrument with them, and use it constantly, to be the most annoying. Very VERY few comedians can write and perform a funny song that remains funny for however long it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

I saw the three Nualas at what was then called HQ in abbey street, and they were brilliantly funny.

I think the "comedian" who makes me cringe and have to leave the room in embarassement is June Rogers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Elessar wrote:
    There are few comedians who can top the real pros, Billy Connolly being the main one. You can always tell real talent because they're the guys who don't script their jokes - they just go on stage and make people laugh natuarally.
    Bingo! That's exactly it. I remember seeing an interview with Eddie Izzard as he tried to ponder out how Billy Connolly did his thing. He couldn't put his finger on where he was getting his material. Thats called talent, you clueless hack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mc23

1. Lee Evans
    2. Jason Byrne
    3. Colin Murphy

IMO Billy Connelly is the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Elessar wrote:
    Went to see Dara O Brien live one night, nearly fell off my chair with boredom. No, you are not fuking funny.
    You s ee the problem with this thread is everybody has a different sense of humour so by the end of the thread nearly every single comedian around will probably be mentioned!

I for one think Dara O' Brien is brilliant!! His latest DVD is comedy gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Dara O Brien seems to have gotten by solely on the fact that he's a nice guy, he's not funny though.

Ed Byrne was funny 10 years ago.

same with Eddie Izzard.

David O'Doherty is a legend though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Who's that guy who does the barman bit?
    He's a complete tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Al Murray

Not a big fan myself. Similar to Harry Hill I think (not sure whether I'm saying that just cuz he's bald :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Harry Hill is a comedian? That's news to me.
    No one mentioned so far is in the same league as Billy Connolly, except maybe Billy Connolly because someone mentioned him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Al Murray

Not a big fan myself. Similar to Harry Hill I think (not sure whether I'm saying that just cuz he's bald :)).
    Yeah. That's him.
    I can't ****ing stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Yeh, cant stand that Al Murray. I turn off the paramount comedy channel when I see him.

Jason Byrne, not even remotely funny.

I like Neil Delamare though. Was at a stand-up gig with him performing before, and he had the place in stitches. Joe Rooney is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

lee evans - nobody cares if you can wiggle your ears
    jason byrne- somebody got him perfectly when they said schoolboy humor
    des bishop- he's been living here for years yet his set consists of you itish this you irish that
    david mc savage - why doesn't he realise he will never make it big by standing in the stret insulting people

etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Did anyone go to the Russell Brand gig on Friday in the National Stadium?

He was really dissapointing - and the venue was a kip. Never again. Can't believe I paid 40 quid for that gig. I would have been funnier.

• Advertisement

saws Dave McSavagedoing his standup thing on thestreet in
    Copehagen yearsago, have tosay that he was funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

David O'Doherty is a legend though.
    +1

all other irish comedians are pathetic. ed byrne,jason byrne and des bishop (maybe not irish?) are particularly irritating, as for the naked camera bunch ffs whistling and waving around a newspaper,and maeve "did we meet before?" in that irriatating accent.......AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    i also think jimmy carr is the one of the most unfunny and charmelss men of all time

think the simalraties are they are english and unfunny........and wave theyre head around on theyre shoulders to emphasize every joke.....seems to work for english audiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cremo wrote:
    any of the female kind, i'm sorry i'm not being sexist but they just aren't funny at all.
    But you are. How sad that you don't see it.

OT, Peter Kay is crap. Dylan Moore - not funneh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

biko wrote:
    But you are. How sad that you don't see it.

OT, Peter Kay is crap. Dylan Moore - not funneh
    i'll agree with you with peter kay, how anyone finds him funny is beyond me.

maybe i should rephrase then.

i've yet to see a female comedian that has made me laugh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Meave Higgins, PJ Gallagher, Deirdre O'Kane and Jason Byrne
    are possibly 4 of the most unfunny people in Ireland!

Naked Camera and Anonymous are also two of the worst wastes
    of tv licence money ever! (imho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Tommy Tiernan ,that is all.

Saint_Mel wrote:
    Naked Camera and Anonymous are also two of the worst wastes
    of tv licence money ever! (imho)

perhaps, but did you see legend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Harry Hill
    Jo Brand
    Dylan Moran
    Lee Evans
    Ed Byrne

Not funny at all.

I'd have to agree with the general conscenscous so far that Billy Connolly is a genius!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

To paraphrase Chris Rock "Jimmy Carr is a jokeless comedian"
    How anybody even laughs at his stupid comments is beyond me, and he really gets on my tits.

Have to disagree with only one post so far. Lee Evans is a genius. Everytime I see one of his shows on Paramount I have to stop and watch it, and every time I end up on the floor in stitches.

Other Comedians I would rate highly are Billy Connelly (although I am sick of his World tour of.... series which are always on) Chris Rock (have had to stop listening to him in work due to complaints about my laughing) and Richard Pryor.

(For those that don't know, the Chris Rock quote is "David Blaine is a trickless magician.")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

gucci wrote:
    perhaps, but did you see legend?

Oops, sorry, I meant they were a waste from comedy angle.

RTE dramas are usually terrible. The Clinic was good though

I found some of Jimmy Carr's stuff to be brilliant. a proper deadpan quickwit.

Jo Brand deserves repeated mention too,

no yer not funny go away

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

david mcsavage -- nothing funny about being an insulting c*nt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Well its clear that everyone has varied comical tastes which is only to be expected....personally its usually american comedians that piss me off..steve martin, billy crystal, jim carey etc.....just don't find the yank style of humour funny.

but here are two of the local crowd that also irratate me...

Don't find Dara O'Brien funny, though the brits love him (they can have him)

But here's one guy that is worshipped in Australia, he even has his own TV show!!........and i just can't get my head around it........Jimeoin :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

stakey wrote:
    david mcsavage -- nothing funny about being an insulting c*nt

I hate this guy!!! He is the unfunniest person ever, his cheap, dry wit, Id love if someone shoved that giutar up his hole at the top of grafton street

• Advertisement
Advertisement