Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Comedians

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Saw Maeve Higgins at the weekend and she was a joke, she kept on using the same material over and over again. She won't be around the comedy circuit for much longer i'd say. Des Bishop is one or my more favourite acts at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Des Bishop is in line for a beating if I should ever meet him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I ahve to say I find most comedians who bring any sort of musical instrument with them, and use it constantly, to be the most annoying.
    I generally agree with you, however when done well it is my favourite sort of comedy. Probably why im such a huge fan of Flight of the Conchords. All their (live) comedy is basically in song form. Top notch.

I saw David O'Doherty on friday and while i thought he was good he wasn't amazing imo. Didn't help that i didn't think his keyboard songs were great which seems to be a large part of his act.
    Saw Neil Delamere last night and i was in stitches at times, similarly with the guy before him, Reginold D Hunter (sp?).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Another vote for David McSavage. Why, oh why, was he allowed on the Late Late the first time, never mind any other time?

The only way Jason Byrne could make me laugh would be to let me read his entrails.

The funniest man on TV all weekend was Seán Bán Brannacht....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Dacelonid wrote:
    To paraphrase Chris Rock "Jimmy Carr is a jokeless comedian"
    How anybody even laughs at his stupid comments is beyond me, and he really gets on my tits.

Have to disagree with only one post so far. Lee Evans is a genius. Everytime I see one of his shows on Paramount I have to stop and watch it, and every time I end up on the floor in stitches.

Other Comedians I would rate highly are Billy Connelly (although I am sick of his World tour of.... series which are always on) Chris Rock (have had to stop listening to him in work due to complaints about my laughing) and Richard Pryor.

(For those that don't know, the Chris Rock quote is "David Blaine is a trickless magician.")

Went to see tommy tiernan last night and he had me in stitiches all the way thru. Des bishop was on before him and I didnt find half of his stuff remotely funny.

Billy Connolly/Peter Kay/Lee Evans are class.

Jimmy Carr/Dylan Moran/Ed byrne/Jason Byrne areunfunny in the extreme.

Hates me to say this as he's a nice guy but Paddy Keilty is getting less funny by the day. When he first became known he was good, but paisley impressions are wearing thin.

Also, give me a gun so I can shoot yer man from the naked camera..arsehole :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Lee evans isn't funny at all.

Jimmy carr is a comedic genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

The guy wrote:
    Lee evans isn't funny at all.

Jimmy carr is a comedic genius.

Jimmy Carr is about as funny as watching an orphanage burn down.

Billy Connolly is the funniest man with breath in his body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think anyone that doesn't think Billy Connolly is a legend is broken.

I think the problem (especially with Irish comedians although that's probably because I see them more) is that once they have "made it" and are no longer funny for food but have their BMW's, they turn crap because people will turn up because they are popular so less effort goes in to their act.

That's why most Irish comedians have gone crap. Also a lot of them were only had a few jokes and that got them popular so once the nation has seen their few good bits, all they have left to offer is tripe.

That's what's brillant about Billy Connolly. He was continously funny throughout his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

padi89 wrote:
    Tommy Tiernan ,that is all.
    QFT he's utter rubbish !!! how this guy continues to sell out show's how poor the Irish Comedy scene is at present.
    I'd agree most Female comedians are hopeless too with the only exception coming to mind is
    Nina Conti..(she's hot too)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-DGUPDBiqg

As for a seriously good male comic i'd go with

Ross noble
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAJ-q03JnQk

Danny Bhoy ( probably a poor clip of him but..)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsI9YC39tfM&mode=related&search=

:D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Jo Brand makes me want to harm myself. I like watching QI, so whenever I see it on I usually stop flicking through the channels. That is unless I notice her there. She is not funny at all, but then again, as mentioned, women are generally not funny to me at all (strange yes, funny no).

Humour is very much a subjective, and cultural thing too. I remember one time I was in the States, and was sitting with a few friends, and one of their brothers and american family. The family and the guys who were there for quite a few years were breaking their arse laughing at this guy on TV and couldn't understand how the rest of us didn't think he was funny. Personally I would have rather picked dead skin from my feet than listen to him. On the same note, how anyone thinks Conan O'Brien/Leno/Letterman or similiar are funny either is beyond me. Letterman has his brief moments, but that Conan O'Brien twat is not, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Lee Evans. Maybe if he didn't run around the stage he wouldnt sweat as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, have to agree against the Byrnes. Ed Byrne was funny when he first became known, but quickly just completely lost it. Saw Jason Byrne live once, and his funniest bits were just taking the piss out of drunk students. I was a drunk student too, and the rest of it wasn't funny.

Saw Neil Delamere recently, and my lungs were sore from laughing so much, he was brilliant. Bill Bailey and Billy Connolly are easily the funniest people on the planet, by a mile. Though Billy Connolly's age has caught up on him a bit - his younger days were his best stuff, more recently he's gotten wiser, so his stuff isn't quite so good. He'd be better off taking a John Cleese stance - "I'm still funny, but I'm also a respectable person who you can take seriously".

There's that guy who has his gimmick of being a ultra-gay nerdy type on British TV. Kind of like Graham Norton, but even camper and twice as irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had the misfortune of going to the Bud Light "comedy" revue over the weekend. My list of annoying comedians has grown considerably.

Some of them weren't even comedians, especially that dickhead in his underpants playing his organ, Dr. Cocacola McDonald or something he called himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

female comedians are horrid

they made me want to be a stand up comic judt to prove that women are funny
    and:
    Des Bishop
    Ed Byrne
    Jason Byrne
    and all Irish comedians except Dara O'Brien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Elessar wrote:
    You can always tell real talent because they're the guys who don't script their jokes - they just go on stage and make people laugh natuarally.

No - they just make it seem that way. That's why they're the real pros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Another vote for McSavage. What a tosser. It kinda works on the street (i still wanna punch him every time i see him) but saw him doin a gig in college a while back. Just not funny.

Saw Neil Delamare at electric picnic last year, thought he was hilarious. There may have been other factors there tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Discussing who's funny/not funny is like discussing music tastes. Just plain stupid!

Btw, Tommy T rules ftw !!11one :D

Guys, FYI, "They who shall not be named" also promote comedy gigs.

It's perfectly fine to say, "I like X" or "I've seen X, and I think he's crap", but discussing specific gigs is a no-no. This is the only warning that'll be given. Anyone who discusses such a gig will receive a one-month site ban.

More info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977363

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

seamus wrote:
    There's that guy who has his gimmick of being a ultra-gay nerdy type on British TV. Kind of like Graham Norton, but even camper and twice as irritating.

Alan Carr?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    That's him! Wrecks my head. OK, you were funny the first time. Now you're just an idiot with a tired gimmick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

seamus wrote:

Did anyone see him at the Live Earth thing?... what an idiot.

It should be made publicly known to these people that being camp is not funny by itself, you need to actually have talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

People not liking BB!? Never thought I'd see the day.

My list of unfunny/annoying comedians:
    Dave McSavage, you're not funny you're a knob-end.
    Des Bishop, new jokes please.
    Karl Spain, I've only laughed at one of his jokes. Ever.
    That guy who is a captain on "Mock The Week", the one who does impressions. I can't stand his mannerisms, he makes me want to punch him.
    Dave Spikey or whatever his name is. Great in Phoenix Nights but any other time I've seen him it was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ed Byrne, skinny and unfunny,
    Fergus Spain, fat and unfunny.
    3 most unfunny brits, Billy Connolly and the Little Britain lads, oh, and Gervais too.
    Ross Noble, oh please no. That stupid hair and stupid accent.
    And, eh, Daire, eh, O', eh, Brien, eh, so, eh, hard, eh, to, eh, listen, eh, to, not, eh, at, eh, all, funny, eh
    Jason Byrne,

Who's the woman that guests on the panel, but says nothing? I don't know her at all, at all.

Jimmy Carr, god no. He was hosting a comedy quiz show last Christmas/New Year and got dogs abuse from the teams to the extent he couldn't ad lib a reply, funny or not, (eventually a not funny reply)

Conan O'Brien, bunch of crap. Letterman has his moments alright. I agree with the poster saying the yanks take a bit of getting used to. Or maybe the non-yanks were starved of proper comedy and found the next best thing funny.

tampopo wrote:
    Ross Noble, oh please no. That stupid hair and stupid accent.
    Now I know you're actually crazy. Ross Noble is excellent. Funny, original and completely un-scripted comedy.

Next I'm gonna read someone saying that Dylan Moran isn't funny.

On that note: I hate Tamsin Greig. She lives off appearing with funnier people than her.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ed Byrne.
    Des Bishop.
    Jimmy Carr.
    Conan O Brien.
    Alan Carr.
    Women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Lee Evans is a shambolic comedian. I hate him. Hate.

Little Britain also annoys me. I guess I just don't get how repeating the same joke ad infinitum is funny. Clever, I guess, but quickly went beyond cliché and therefore became annoying.

And I will add myself to the list of people who have yet to see a funny female stand-up comedian. I don't know why that is.

Jimmy Carr annoys me when he's on TV, but he's not too bad as a stand-up.

BTW, +75 posts for a stand-up/comedy forum.

It's crazy the forum hasn't been granted. But give it time and I'm sure the almighty admins will create the forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

... Funny, original and completely un-scripted comedy.
    QUOTE]
    You sure about that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Ed Byrne is terrible, saw him in the *******, BTW Ed if you use all your jokes every time your on TV , don't ****ing recycle them for your live show, i had heard nearly every single joke beforehand.

Tommy Tiernan is the most over rated act in Ireland ,saw him in vicar street , note to tommy, don't ****ing do 120 live shows in a row if you can't be arsed putting in any effort near the end. There was a steady stream of people heading to the toilet all night cause he acted like he really didn't want to be there the wanker, such a waste of money.

/end rant

I really think that Bill Hick's death signaled the end of truely great comedy.

edit: watching Bill Bailey DVD as I typed that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mimi3637

Bill Hicks was a comedic god. Richard Pryor was a genius. I really enjoyed the early stuff of Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy.

I don't really enjoy any of the Irish comedians around now. I did enjoy the Des Bishop work experience mini-series that he had which was aaages ago. He really needs some new material.

Can't stand O'Brian, the Byrnes and comedienne's are NOT funny. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Jimmy Tarbuck.
    1960s - cheeky young Scouse up-and-coming comic.

(Nothing funny happens for 40 years ....)

2000s - Minted, golfing in Spain with Sean Connery, Bruce Forsyth, Ronnie Corbett. Z-list celebrity.

It can't be understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That curly haired NY comedian that just mumbles, delivers one liners and smokes a lot. Name eludes me but he is crap imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭UnReg123

1.Those eejits from naked camera
    2. ed byrne
    3. harry hill
    4. Jason byrne
    5. lee evans
    6. al murray
    7. peter kay
    8. chris rock

Love neil delamare and Tommy tiernan though!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

In no particular order:

Ed Byrne - just comes across as a smug git anytime I've seen him.

Des Bishop - anytime I've seen him, his jokes nearly all seem to be about wee things in Irish life that you wouldn't see in America.

Lee Evans - don't find his hyperness funny in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

Neil Delamere is an embarassment, how the hell do people like that
    make a living from not being funny.. Although he is funny to certain people,
    dumbasses. Des Bishop, Deirdre O'Kane, Maeve Higgins, Andrew Maxwell

Bill Bailey is the best thing in Black Books, Dylan Moran ain't really funny It's not enough
    to stand there looking scruffy with a cigarette shouting. Otherwise we'd all be comedians, well
    those of us who smoke and stand around being scruffy and shouting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I always hated Bernard Manning, but he's much more tolerable now...:p

And Dave McSavage has no place being mentioned on this thread - I wouldn't classify that painfully unfunny f**ker as a comedian at all.

To the person who said they didnt like Ross Noble - I've caught him on TV a couple of times and I've always been struck by how fresh and different he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gucci wrote:
    +1

all other irish comedians are pathetic. ed byrne,jason byrne and des bishop (maybe not irish?) are particularly irritating, as for the naked camera bunch ffs whistling and waving around a newspaper,and maeve "did we meet before?" in that irriatating accent.......AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    i also think jimmy carr is the one of the most unfunny and charmelss men of all time

hmm, the whistler wouldn't be my fav naked camera sketch, it was funny the first few times, but some of the show is great, imo

Also, I saw PJ Gallagher a while before the naked camera show, and he was hilarious, brilliant stuff.
    biko wrote:
    OT, Peter Kay is crap. Dylan Moore - not funneh

Agree on Dylan Moran, Peter Kay is good though..

I guess this topic just shows how peoples tastes vary....

someone else mentioned Bill Bailey, I think he's hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I like Dylan Moran myself. He's not the funniest in Black Books, but his stand up has me in stitches.

I have to agree with female comedians overall being bad. What is that? The only ones I've ever found remotely funny are Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders. And even at that it's the odd titter rather than full blown laughter.

Most Irish comedians seem to be painfully bad. They've all been mentioned here so I won't go into it myself. Apart from Ed Byrne. He's a special case. I don't just find him annoying, I hate him. He repulses me. Not only that, but I've found he seems to enjoy stealing from Bill Hicks. Who I love.

Robin Williams. Been in some dodgy films. Didn't think too much of him. Happened to see him on the Late late Show or something similar being interviewed. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Most mentioned before but well worth another mention for their overwhelming unfunniness:

Lee Evans - somebody should tell Paramount Comedy that they're breaching the Trade Descriptions Act when they have him on.
    Harry Hill - big collar and glasses? Oh yes, hilarious.
    Peter Kay - this man's popularity will be discussed as one of the great mysteries of our age in a thousand years.
    Emo Philips - to stand out as the unfunniest American stand-up comedian is an remarkable achievement.
    Deirdre O'Kane - just f*ck off back into obscurity and spare us a lot of pain.
    Al Murray - one joke, and not a very funny one at that. Still, his stand-up is infinitely better than that sitcom he had, although that's like saying having bubonic plague is infinitely better than having ebola.
    Little Britain - not really stand up. Not really comedy either though.

And yet another ringing endorsement for Billy Connolly as the world's funniest man. Last time I saw him live was a few years back when he was doing a kind of "Greatest Jokes" tour. Heard nearly every joke/story before but it still didn't stop me laughing until I was nearly sick. Now that's comedy genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I can't even bring myself to watch Lee Evans but Frank Skinner was the worst I've even seen ... apart from Paul Tylak, but that goes without saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Iain

I have to disagree about Emo Philips, I think he is fantastic. I really want to buy his CD.
    I saw him yesterday (sunday). He was on with Colin Murphy and Kevin Kildea. He had the crowd in stitches.
    I also think Bill Bailey is brilliant, and Paul Merton was great when I saw him a few years ago.

I the interests of the thread I personally dislike:
    Al Murray, Peter Kay, Harry Hill, and Lee Evans. I am sure there are many more!

I think it would be nicer thought to have a thread about how good people are,but maybe that is just me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

6th wrote:
    but Frank Skinner was the worst I've even seen ...

Put him together with David Baddiel, throw in some football and football related anthems and you have television that makes me want gnaw an arm off and beat the tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Just like all things it's a matter of opinion. I like Billy Connelly but those of you who say he's the funniest person alive,be honest now, he hasn't been funny in about 15 years. You're just saying it because thats the popular consesus amongst most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I Hate:

Dave McSavage
    Maeve Higgins
    Deirde O'Kane
    Jason Byrne
    Lee Evans
    Ed Byrne
    Al Murray
    Harry Hill

I Love:

Dylan Moran
    Bill Bailey
    Tommy Tiernan
    Chris Rock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anto McC wrote:
    Just like all things it's a matter of opinion. I like Billy Connelly but those of you who say he's the funniest person alive,be honest now, he hasn't been funny in about 15 years. You're just saying it because thats the popular consesus amongst most people.

No, I'm saying that because apart from numerous TV shows and DVDs I've seen him live twice and I have never laughed so much in all my life as I did those two nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Anto McC wrote:

i don't agree, i think Connolly is getting better as he grows older.

I have most of his dvds & videos dating back to the 70s, and i honestly think ever since the late 80s when he put away the guitar and concentrated solely on stand up he's improved immensely.

maybe settling down with miss stephenson helped him too

Jim Davidson (hosted Tv show Big Break), not only painfully unfunny, but incredibly unlikeable imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'm surprised at two things...

1. The anti Al Murray running theme... I loved "Time Gentlemen Please".
    Saw him live in Vicar St too. Although I admit he's mostly running on
    catchphrases now, rather than any new material.
    Quote: What's the colour of the French flag? White... it's the first flag they
    wave in a war.

2. That nobody explicitely mentioned "Brendan O'Carroll" as THE most annoying "comedian" ever. I want to do him physical harm.

2. That nobody explicitely mentioned "Brendan O'Carroll" as THE most annoying "comedian" ever. I want to do him physical harm.

This is a good point, I think because I loath him so much, that I had subconsciously wiped him from my memory.

What's that 4 letter word that ends in unt? Far too good for him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement