Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying Comedians

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Mimi3637 wrote:

Bill Hicks was a comedic god. Richard Pryor was a genius. Ever.

The bad thing about Bill Hicks is that he had so little material. If you've seen one of his gigs, you've pretty much seen it all. It's painful to watch interviews where he wheels out the same jokes. It's gold the first time though :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

If they're any Aussies reading this, would you please explain.... why oh why do you find this "plank" so funny???

jimeoinmn8.jpg

jimeoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

yeah, brendan o carroll and ed byrne

The thing about Hicks like most legends is.....he died young

i.e. he did'nt grow old & mediocre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I really like Dylan Moran and I thought he was excellent in Black Books. For those who say Bill is funnier than Dylan in the show, it was Dylan who wrote it so the man is funny.

Oh man I can't wait for the Comedy/Stand-Up forum. These kinda things are always going to pop up and they're great fun to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

philstar wrote:
    Well its clear that everyone has varied comical tastes which is only to be expected....personally its usually american comedians that piss me off..steve martin, billy crystal, jim carey etc.....just don't find the yank style of humour funny.
    Never heard of Bill Hicks, George Carlin, or Richard Pryor?

I would describe most Irish comedians as dull rather than annoying. The only one that'd I'd classify as irritating would be Ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

biko wrote:
    That curly haired NY comedian that just mumbles, delivers one liners and smokes a lot. Name eludes me but he is crap imo.
    Steven Wright? They may be one-liners. but such one-liners...
    I was born by Caesarean section, but you really can't tell... except that when I leave my house, I always go out the window...

I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I said, "Got any shoes you're not using?"
    Totally agree about Lee Evans - what is he on? Cocaine suppository?

Al Murray (the Pub Landlord) surprised me - his bluster rewards careful listening. He puts a lot of subtle cultural references in there, and sends up nationalists of all kinds.

Billy Connolly... it's not simply what he says, but the way that he says it, and that's pure skill. I remember one piece where he turned took the kind of "I hate travel" theme that Jerry Seinfeld does well, and took it on a trip that included Norway, moving sidewalks, Glasgow, cold weather, tea, swearing (of course), and loose paving stones shooting water up your trouser leg. I was amazed he made it back in one piece... :D

I went to see Guy Pratt in Dublin last weekend. Very poor turnout, rented gear not working right... and he's not really a comedian, but a world-renowned touring bassist with Pink Floyd, Madonna, Roxy Music. Some of the bassist jokes were a bit, um, below the audience, but he managed something I've never been able to do: make our chosen instrument sound interesting, even sexy. How low can you go, eh..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I genuinely despise

Bill Hicks and
    Jimmy Carr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I really like Dylan Moran and I thought he was excellent in Black Books. For those who say Bill is funnier than Dylan in the show, it was Dylan who wrote it so the man is funny.

Dylan Moran is a legend.

Saw him live last year, he was great. Him and David O'Doherty are the best Irish stand ups at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Xylem

Dave McSavage. There isn't a "f**k off " big enough for this man.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote:
    That's what's brillant about Billy Connolly. He was continously funny throughout his career.

Sorry, haven't read this thread all the way through, as i had to jump in here because of the above quote. Billy Connolly used to be funny. Back when it was harder to understand him, he was a lot funnier. Nowadays he's a fcukin sell-out. He does ads for the English Lotto FFS!!!

To quote a real comedian......

"Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial, you're off the artistic roll call forever. End of story. You're another corporate shill, you're another whore at the capitalist gang-bang, and if you do a commercial there's a price on your head, everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is like a turd falling into my drink."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Brendan O'Carroll and PJ Gallagher (his "funny" prank calls on 2FM with the same tired stuttering-nervous guy routine every week should never have made it to air).

In fact, any of those Naked Camera crowd really.

Oh, and Pat Shortt! God I hate that man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SNL

TBh the irish hate list can go on for ever pretty much anyone RTE got to do a show is unfunny, my main gripe with Tommy Tiernan is he shouts punchlines alot which makes vicar street knobends fall about the place and then buy his dvd so he can shout through there tv

gotta disagree with anyone who says dylan moran is unfunny his stories are usually excellent, anybody who says comedians who use instruements are unfunny are wrong (look to bailey), also dave mc savage failed miserably to bring his street show to stage so he really should just quit.

on a lighter note i really enjoy bernard o shea and colum mc donnell two of my fav irish comedians at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I really don't like Ed Byrne. I don't find him funny, I think he's incredibly annoying.
    Not a big Jason Byrne fan either. He's too in-your-face all the time.
    What!?! Ed Byrne is class, he might be a bit of an ars3hole, but did you see his DVD? Now that is the definision of funnyness! But I do agree with you on the Jason Byrne thing, now he is crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ed Byrne can be funny sometimes, but I find him incredibly irritating most of the time. His voice wrecks my head. He reminds me of Snagglepuss or something. Plus he's a sellout.

Never found Lenny Henry funny.

There are some funny Women out there, I just can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment. Maeve Higgans and Dierdre Kane definatley aren't though.

Bill Bailey, Bill Hicks, Billy Connolly and Eddie Izzard are my faves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Brendan O'Carroll - absolute w*nker.
    Deirdre O'Kane - Comedian?? WTF?!
    Jason Byrne (and all those other idiots from the very unfunny naked camera)
    Little Britain - mildly funny in the beginning but now just plain annoying.

For me those are the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Annoying because he is so unfunny - Eddie Bannon. Heard on the radio a few times when he's wheeled in to be the funny guy and it's fukcing painful. I genuinley feel for the guy he's that unsuited to what he is devoting much of his time to.

Tommy T is a cynical cnut. Taking the money and running.

Haven't seen anyone defend Conan O'Brien. It's all subjective but I think he's a very funny bloke and very quick. Like his humour a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yep, don't like Tommy Tiernen.

Xylem wrote:
    Dave McSavage. There isn't a "f**k off " big enough for this man.
    So true, saw him on the street in Cork a while back. All he did was insult random people. Not a very good comedian in my opinion. I was just hoping that he would start on some guy with a short temper who would kick the s**t out of him. Someone like me:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I hate Gabriel Rosenstock - it has always confused me as to why people find Gift Grub funny (i started a thread on this a few years ago). Also, any time I say I don't like him around a few people, most get extremely defensive and try and accuse me of not having a sense of humour or try to force me to listen to some clips of his. The man is a genius though; he managed to turn most of Ireland into his own little cult.

Aprés Match - not quite as unfunny or annoying as Gift Grub, because it has caused me to chuckle a handful of times, but more often than not, turned my stomach as I scramble to find where the remote is hiding beneath the couch.

Roy Chubby Brown - too many aspects of him make me want to commit murder.

Others include the aforementioned:
    Alan Carr
    Lee Evans
    Al Murray
    Harry Hill
    Fiona Looney (seen you tell a well prepared joke fall flat on its face about a million times too many)
    Brendan O'Carroll
    Anyone who has ever been associated with Gerry Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Patrick Kielty - possibly the world's unfunniest man
    Graham Norton - annoying
    That bloke wiuth the keyboard, Dave O'Doherty?

I liked David O Doherty until I watched that show he has on RTE. Great live, crap on TV. RTE is like the curse of Irish comics, go on there and you become instantly unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Karl Spain - Seen him in the International once and he was dreadful, he was reading his "jokes" from a piece of paper because it was "new" material. :rolleyes:

Lenny Henry - I know he's old school but in fairness he was part of the new breed of alternative Comedians.
    That show he done recently on BBC about what makes people funny was atrocious, or more so he was. There was one bit in it when a Best Man was going through his speech with Lenny and he was advising him not to use the jokes. Lucky for the Best Man he didn't take his advice because his speech went down a storm. FFS Lenny, you're supposed to be a professional comedian and you can't even advise some one on a BM speech? :rolleyes:

and finally....

Russell Howard - The guy from Mock The Week. Shockingly unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

there are three absolutely intolerable "comedians" on my list:

Brendan Grace

Brendan O'Carroll

Robin Williams
    (he has his moments as an actor ...but comedian? No way !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I would have mentioned Dave McSavage but I thought that at least somebody had to consider the person a comedian for them to be included in the thread.

Dave McSavage is merely considered a waste of space by most people.

He's a complete git - you just know he got bullied mercilessly at school and is now trying to get his own back on the world. Tough **** McSavage - you're an unfunny ass.

Also - Brendan O'Carroll. I don't care if his 'plays' sell out when they're on - they're ****e. Complete and utter ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Des Bishop. Fnarrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Maeve Higgins and Jo Brand.
    Jesus christ Maeve Higgins reeeeallly gets on my tits with her accent and general 'comedy'.
    Jo Brand, All her jokes are so obvious and are always self deprecating, then she just repeats the same things "i'm fat, blah blah blah, men are shit, blah blah blah, flaps..."

Bill Bailey and Ross Noble coming up?!:eek: Blasphemy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Carl Spain - Simply not funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Tommy Tiernan
    Bill Bailey
    Every camp/drag comedian that I can think of (Although if someone can prove me wrong, go ahead).

I DO however like Dave McSavage, Conan O Brien, Jerry Seinfeld and Dara o Briain.

Blisterman wrote:

I DO however like Dave McSavage.
    It's because of people like you that man gets bookings. You should be ashamed...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

The worst stand-up I have ever seen was Ray Romano from Everybody Loves Raymond
    on Paramount one night.
    And the crowd was loving it! So anyone can be a comedian, there will always be enough
    people to find you funny. Brendan O'Carroll has a nice house and plenty of money
    I doubt he cares whether he is actually funny. It's enough to make you cry.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Oh, and Pat Shortt! God I hate that man!

How did I forget him from my list? Both him and the other gobsh1te that was with him in D'Unfunnies are about as amusing as a hot poker being shoved up your arse. I have friends who think they wewre the funniest act that ever walked the planet and tell me I don't get them because I'm from Dublin. No, I don't get them because there's nothing even remotely funny about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

Culchies like Pat Shortt, they see him as a God.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Jason Byrne all the way, no doubt about it, iron clad 100% not in the slightest bit funny.
    I think its telling though that no one has mentioned any of the Fast Show crew.
    That is the definition of comedy for me. I really miss Bob Flemming. Ted and Ralph

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Oh Yeah, Comedy Forum+1.

For the moment I'll have to put this here.

Swiss Toni - 'Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak. And then you put in the milk'.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

How nobody mentioned David McSavage on the first page I don't know....although verbally abusing people in Temple Bar/Grafton St makes you more of a wino than a comedian so maybe that's why he hasn't got mentioned !?!

And Brendan O'Carroll....Am I the only northsider that doesn't find him funny (I don't particularly like aslan either so maybe i'm not a real northsider) ?

no one has mentioned any of the Fast Show crew.
    That is the definition of comedy for me. I really miss Bob Flemming. Ted and Ralph

the fast show......naa......just another over-rated brit comedy show along with the league of gentlemen and little britain.

btw another guy i don't get is......Ricky Gervais, i mean what so funny about a guy that makes fun of the disabled & handicapped?:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Some annoy me just because they're over-rated (t tiernan, bill hicks etc.) but the comedian I really really HATE is Colin Murphy. He thinks he's so funny and that's what annoys me. After every joke, inside his mind he's congratulating himself! And the audience lap it up...

What's that Colin? You said something silly and then gurned for the camera? Hil-arious! Genius! LOL ROFL

I am somewhat consoled by the fact that even though only one other person here said they hated him, I think it's just because he's not even on peoples' radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is that the Skeeter (or someone) bombs video? Cos if it is it's hilarious! "You're fat" lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Stand-ups whose acts I dislike:

Al Murray - No thanks.
    Harry Hill - Comedian?
    Ed Byrne - Never, ever found him funny.
    Seán Hughes - I used to like Seán.
    Eddie Izzard - Like some of his stuff but overall...meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Al Murray and that Pub Landlord bollocks does my head in!

Maeve Higgins really tops it all though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

For those bashing Robin Williams, his stand-up stuff before he started doing TV and films is gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Peter Kay .. a stupid f*cking unfunny fat idiot ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Des Bishop, I hate this man with a passion - he'd be funnier if he just came out and vomited on stage because he might as well be doing it with the amount of crap he has regurgitated and re-used over his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Saw this thread and its perfect for my story :D

I was at an-event-we-are-forbidden-to-talk-about in Punchestown early in July...I was standing there in a poncho covered in mud smoking a blue when this girl comes over to bum a smoke off me. I was messing with her telling her that smokers are a dying breed etc. etc. when we looked over to our left and low and behold there was David McSavage

He was standing there with a sign over his head that read 'I'm an alcoholic' the girl turned to me and said
    Girl: 'Is that David McSavage?'
    Me: 'Yeah hes a spanner'
    Girl: 'I hate him too...I'm gonna kick him in the nutz'

She promptly walked over to him and kicked him in the nutZ.

And it was all caught on camera by some girl DMcS was with. The funniest bit was watching him watch the playback on the camera. He was freaked out and had to do the shot again! His face was priceless.

On his second take some guy covered in mud started chasing him and DMcS tripped and fell dirtying his chinos

That girl will get free ciggies for life off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Joe Pasquale and Lee Evans are pretty rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Hard Larry wrote:
    Saw this thread and its perfect for my story :D

I was at an-event-we-are-forbidden-to-talk-about in Punchestown early in July...I was standing there in a poncho covered in mud smoking a blue when this girl comes over to bum a smoke off me. I was messing with her telling her that smokers are a dying breed etc. etc. when we looked over to our left and low and behold there was David McSavage

He was standing there with a sign over his head that read 'I'm an alcoholic' the girl turned to me and said
    Girl: 'Is that David McSavage?'
    Me: 'Yeah hes a spanner'
    Girl: 'I hate him too...I'm gonna kick him in the nutz'

She promptly walked over to him and kicked him in the nutZ.

And it was all caught on camera by some girl DMcS was with. The funniest bit was watching him watch the playback on the camera. He was freaked out and had to do the shot again! His face was priceless.

On his second take some guy covered in mud started chasing him and DMcS tripped and fell dirtying his chinos

That girl will get free ciggies for life off me.

She sounds like a bigger dickhead than even him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Nailz wrote:
    What!?! Ed Byrne is class, he might be a bit of an ars3hole, but did you see his DVD? Now that is the definision of funnyness! But I do agree with you on the Jason Byrne thing, now he is crap!

I have his DVD and I have to admit he is a smug git, but some of his jokes are priceless.
    Do the Dubai and Dentist jokes spring to mind?:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Ed Byrne - moron.
    Harry Hill - moron.
    Al Murray - moron.

Advertisement