Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hdtv or monitor?

Options
  • 30-07-2007 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Ok my conundrum.

Should i get a hdtv or a monitor?

if i was getting a monitor it would be of the 22" size
    if i was getting a hdtv it would be of the 27/32" size.

whichever the outcome, it will be used for tv, xb360 and pc. (using a tuner box if a monitor)

on pc i would be gaming and editing as well as general stuff.

is 27/32" too big for games like css?
    Will the lower resolutions ruin it?

i know that most tv's have res's of 1366 x 768 and monitors go higher.

Any advice appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

sorry for double post, got a database error thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

how far are you going to be sitting from the screen?

If you are going HDTV, i'd recommend getting an LCD over a Plasma and to get a HDTV rated at 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

L31mr0d wrote:
    how far are you going to be sitting from the screen?

If you are going HDTV, i'd recommend getting an LCD over a Plasma and to get a HDTV rated at 1080p.

This would be my advice too (assuming your computer's powerful enough to run CSS at 1920x1080).

To answer your question though, 1366 x 768 would look....ok....for games on that sized TV. If I were in your position and my budget would only allow that res, I would go with the TV myself. General work on a desktop that res will be a bit limited mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

personally if this is going to be sat on your desk just over a foot away from you then get a proper LCD monitor. Usually with HDTVs the refresh rate will be lower than monitors and the response time will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

L31mr0d wrote:
    Usually with HDTVs the refresh rate will be lower than monitors and the response time will be higher.
    Why would the refresh rate matter on a LCD and any good TV will have a response time of 8ms or below. You are not going to get ghosting at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

excuse my ignorance but does 1080p mean that it can run at 1920 x 1080 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Hey I had that problem myself couple days ago... so I got me a 40" Sony Bravia
    LCD there on Saturday, hooked it up via vga/vga and played Fifa 2007 on a 7300GT and it was spot on, great in fact. (I have a 8800gts in the post too.)
    Am just connecting my dvi/hdmi lead to leave there permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Given the tasks you outline might be worth going with a HDTV however...

* Max resolution is 1360x768

* Text legibility can be off a bit when using VGA only native res of 1366x768 can be used through HDMI to counter this.

* Some sets do not expose the 1280x720 (720p) resolution under VGA so games will be limited to 1024x768 or 1360x768.

Plus side of the low resolution means any old graphics card should have no problem pushing pixels about at those resolutions.

* Games console will have no problems, on monitor native res not supported by Xbox 360 so must run at a lower res incurring stretching.

Alternatively LG sell a 22" monitor that doubles as a PC monitor and a TV & comes with the regular TV inputs like scart, s-video, component etc.

Advertisement