Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey everyone, we're on the wrong board!

Options
  • 30-07-2007 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Since my ban, I've been hearing that apparently some people, whoever they were, complained about the mild word "thugs" being used in a post. Far, far worse has been posted in threads and nobody got banned, and rightly so I might add. All of a sudden though, sensitive little skins are getting offended by mild words like mine. It would appear that GAA here no longer stands for Gaelic Athletic Association, but for the variation as found in "goo goo gaa gaa", the sound little babies make. It remains to be seen will a post as mild as this one also result in a post being removed or even a ban. So mods, leave this up and let's see what people think about how all of a sudden the slightest little thing upsets poor sensitive souls and results in bans. Maybe we should discuss tiddlywinks, or will the sensitive souls here find the the words to describe pressing down on a piece of plastic are too painful to read too?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

handbags at the ready..... 10 paces :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It's hilarious isn't it? It's fit for the humour forum. Surely someone must be having me on if a word like that actually offended someone. Maybe I've been wrong all these years. I've always thought Meath people, as I presume these unidentified sensitive people are from there, were tough people well able to withstand the hard stuff, but apparently not. The simplest thing now seems to offend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

WELCOME BACK YOU SON OF A GUN.

Although there is a lot of truth in what you are saying Flukey,we can't have a situation where its acceptable to call anybody what we like.I know I will be quoted and accused of being a hypocrite but it is the truth.I do think that the post in question that got you banned did deserve a warning but only that.It also wasn't directed at any individual in particular.Thats my 2 cents anyway,I'm not arguing.

I've been offended by being tarred with the same brush as a scumbag for frequenting the Hill and I've wrongly lashed out by using the term redneck which I accept wasn't the nicest or smartest thing to do.

I feel some people get annoyed very easily or have some hatred in them.For example,Stepbar wrote his gospel after the Dublin-Mayo game which indicated that there was an issue there but even though it was a bit ott,we accept that people are entitled to feel that way for whatever reason.

I just feel that people take things really personally and in turn make it personal.At the end of the day,we are Irish and some of the people here are not but have a love of the game.Thats why we are here.We do get side-tracked but I do love arguing with Lemlin,it is one of the driving forces that makes me check posts here very regularly.Theres nothing personal in our arguments but its great entertainment.I think we've been arguing over everything possible for 3 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Personally I would not bother complaining (I have no time for PC) but would just get my coat and leave (or at least for a while anyway), if I felt things had got out of hand.

In recent times though some of the language used has pandered to the lowest form. Slagging and name calling for the sake of it with not much in the way of constructive posts. May be its time we all saw the positives in teams, players & fans and not go down the road of petty-minded name calling and a jingoism of sorts. All it does is devalue the game and the perception of GAA supporters, even if some are just hangers on.

We should all try and take a leaf out of Anthony Tohill's book. He is a great match analyst - The voice of reason, razor sharp, sees things exactly as they are, relatively impartial and without having the need to criticize people in a harsh manner.

• Advertisement

Well hopefully soon Blackbelt, yourself and Lemlin will get the chance to argue in person over who buys the first round. Maybe myself and some of the Meath residents of the board will get the chance to have a similar argument next Saturday after the Tyrone game. Pity you will be in Spain Blackbelt, but maybe some of the other Dubs will be around on Saturday and join us, or any other members. We could use Madigans again, although maybe the Meath lads will need some very soft seats for their sensitive skins to rest on and we'll have to look for another establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭The Rooster

blackbelt wrote:
    Although there is a lot of truth in what you are saying Flukey,we can't have a situation where its acceptable to call anybody what we like.I know I will be quoted and accused of being a hypocrite but it is the truth.I do think that the post in question that got you banned did deserve a warning but only that.It also wasn't directed at any individual in particular.Thats my 2 cents anyway,I'm not arguing.
    100% correct.

The mod that banned flukey must either not be a regular reader of posts on the forum and/or have forgotten to drink his/her bottle of cop-on that day.

Kaimera was the mod in question, so a regular visitor. He did post in the thread that the ban was after much thought, so even he had his doubts. Crazier still, I have been informed that apparently a two week ban was considered. Others seem to have all this information, though I was told nothing by the mods. The plot thickens. In GAA terms, my comment, at a stretch, might have deserved a free, a very dubious one at that. A black book or a yellow card would have really been pushing the limits of reasonability. Yet, somehow I was given a straight red card. It's like someone with an outstanding record (for amongst the third-party messages telling me about all this, it was also said I post good posts) being sent off for a minor foul of the ball. So what was the ban for? :confused:

Flukey wrote:
    Well hopefully soon Blackbelt, yourself and Lemlin will get the chance to argue in person over who buys the first round. Maybe myself and some of the Meath residents of the board will get the chance to have a similar argument next Saturday after the Tyrone game. Pity you will be in Spain Blackbelt, but maybe some of the other Dubs will be around on Saturday and join us, or any other members. We could use Madigans again, although maybe the Meath lads will need some very soft seats for their sensitive skins to rest on and we'll have to look for another establishment.

Don't worry Flukey,Boards Beers for Dublin fans and other counties Welcomish part deux will be soon.:D Can you arrange the meeting in my absence?I'm going away for a week from tomorrow so I'll be taking a break from everything including the rain.:)

From Saturday,come 6pm I will be smiling either way as either Tyrone or Meath will be gone but I'm actually more up for Meath strangely enough.It would be a breath of fresh air.I'll PM you later today to start the arrangements although last time went off without a hitch after a little hesitation at first.

Well,we're just glad to have you back Flukey....well at least I am.:) Now we can take on Meathman007 and Aedh Baclamh and TomMc together.Let the wars begin.:D :D:D

Nah really,lets all just have fun on here from now on lads without getting personal.Thats what I am prepared to do.

Rooster and Flukey,whilst I agree with what you guys are saying,lets not forget about the rule of arguing with moderators.Its in the rules thread,I'm just looking out for you guys so you won't get banned and I can therefore read your posts.Some things on here start off fine but tend to go overboard and get out of control.

• Advertisement

I'm just reporting what I've been told. I never get personal with posts. I'll attack an opinion but not the poster expressing it. If Meathman007, Aedh Baclamh, TomMc or any others want to meet after Saturday's match, that can be arranged.

^^^ Sounds Ominous.:D

Not at all. Hopefully I'll be in a celebratory mood and you'll need cheering up. Good reasons for a drink all round. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Flukey wrote:
    I'm just reporting what I've been told. I never get personal with posts. I'll attack an opinion but not the poster expressing it. If Meathman007, Aedh Baclamh, TomMc or any others want to meet after Saturday's match, that can be arranged.

TomMc wrote:
    ^^^ Sounds Ominous. :D

Well here is a video of the last meeting Boards GAA Beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

You were banned for using the word thug? Thats a little over the top alright. Can understand the no personal attacks but i presume you used it with regards to a player? In which case i think it is sorta silly. Fair enough not going too ott on slagging a player off but to say a player is a thug is not exactly much. Anyway cruiserweight, thats the wrong video, This is the correct one ;)

5 aside it is then.:D

Ticketmaster.ie in the morning.

No poster, player or team were even mentioned in the post Nalced.

Neither of those videos were of the Meet. They were just the pre-match warm-up and half time entertainment, each just before we got down to the real business. Ticketmaster, in the morning it is then, and don't forget your headbands.
    :)

ROFLMFAO at CW's video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Flukey wrote:
    No poster, player or team were even mentioned in the post Nalced.

:)

what are you like 15? - you called the meath team thugs - thats rich coming from a dublin supporter considering both their players and fans antics over the last couple of years..... what is this thread anyway? - u taking a leaf out of blackbelts book and starting a thread to talk about yourself....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

moved to feedback

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Er, thanks for that. Anyone want to provide a reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Flukey wrote:
    I have been informed that apparently a two week ban was considered. Others seem to have all this information, though I was told nothing by the mods. The plot thickens.
    Whenever someone is banned from a forum, a notice is put on the Moderators forum so that mods don't go quietly banning people; they have to declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ecksor wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055123484
    i believe it is to do with the deleted posts on this thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ecksor wrote:

thread here, but post deleted:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055123484

reported post here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055124220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

meathman, he is making a point that he thinks his banning was uncalled for. Good to see almost nobody has taken a leaf from your book tho. You do know that you dont need to make some silly arguement or childish comment about every single post here. You can just discuss things also. In fact, in his original post, he only referred to himself twice. "His ban", which is the point of the thread and he also said "words like his", again fully on the topic of bannings. I would question who is 15 here to be honest.

you called the meath team thugs

As I said already, and if you had read the post you would know: No poster, player or team were mentioned in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Flukey wrote:
    and if you had read the post you would know: No........ team were mentioned in that post.

Thats odd

Originally Posted by Flukey
    Thugs 2 - 14
    Footballers 1 - 14

or did you mean that you did not name the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Thugs 2 - 14
    Footballers 1 - 14
    And what were you hoping that would add to the conversation?

Obvious flamebait, and nothing else. From the date of the thread it looks like you were banned for a week. That seems compleatly reasonable to me.

Come on now boys, read it carefully. You will find that as I said, no team is mentioned, no player is mentioned, no poster is mentioned and I can even add that no county is mentioned either.

Two people have now posted the post I posted, so we can expect them to be banned. I would argue that they shouldn't be, as I shouldn't have been, but if posting that is a crime for one then it should be for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

Flukey wrote:
    Come on now boys, read it carefully. You will find that as I said, no team is mentioned, no player is mentioned, no poster is mentioned and I can even add that no county is mentioned either.

Two people have now posted the post I posted, so we can expect them to be banned. I would argue that they shouldn't be, as I shouldn't have been, but if posting that is a crime for one then it should be for all.
    this response is just a joke to be honest - you gave the scoreline to the meath v galway game and called meath thugs to bait the meath fans on the forum...... its just unreal that you are arguing your banning.... theres so many hypocrits on the gaa forum, they continiuosly talk rubbish about how everyone is against dublin and then they come out calling everyone outside the county redknecks and in flukeys case calling meath thugs.....

Advertisement