Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey everyone, we're on the wrong board!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

this response is just a joke to be honest

The only joke in this whole affair was the ban itself. Far worse has been said without bans being imposed, and I would agree that those things did not deserve bans, so there was no need for a ban in my case either.
    called meath thugs

For fear of repeating myself, though apparently it appears to be necessary, although if they are unable to read my post they may be unable to read this either:

No team is mentioned, no player is mentioned, no poster is mentioned and no county is mentioned either.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Flukey wrote:
    Two people have now posted the post I posted, so we can expect them to be banned.
    Why would you expect us to be banned. No team is mentioned, no player is mentioned and I can even add that no county is mentioned either. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Flukey wrote:
    Two people have now posted the post I posted, so we can expect them to be banned. I would argue that they shouldn't be, as I shouldn't have been, but if posting that is a crime for one then it should be for all.
    You think you were banned for posting the word 'thug'? Or can you simply not see the difference between posting a statement and quoting another user?
    Flukey wrote:
    No team is mentioned, no player is mentioned, no poster is mentioned and no county is mentioned either.
    I'd have to argue that the average persons powers of deduction are quite possibly superior to your own.

Goodshape, the word "thug" is not in there either.

Anyway, whatever is in there and whatever way some people are interpreting it, it did not deserve a ban. If it did, then a large amount of us would be banned, because a lot worse has been often said without bans being imposed, which as I said, I would agree with. So the question remains as to why a ban was given for that post.

Flukey wrote:
    Goodshape, the word "thug" is not in there either.

Anyway, whatever is in there and whatever way some people are interpreting it, it did not deserve a ban. If it did, then a large amount of us would be banned, because a lot worse has been often said without bans being imposed, which as I said, I would agree with. So the question remains as to why a ban was given for that post.
    Right. You are joking.

Haha, very good. 'Fight the power' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ibid wrote:
    Whenever someone is banned from a forum, a notice is put on the Moderators forum so that mods don't go quietly banning people; they have to declare it.
    That's news to me :confused:

I notice that some people do it, but I never have.

No, I am serious Goodshape. We've all seen far worse than that posted. Anytime I have seen worse things than that posted, like the vast majority of people here it would not even cross my mind to complain about it, unlike some very sensitive souls around here apparently. Complaining about something like that is akin to calling for someone to get a red card for possibly fouling the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

basically the last few weeks have seen a lot of crap posted and quite frankly I've had enough of it.

Stuff had been posted about players, teams and supporters with complete disregard for common sense let alone the charter in place. ffs I even had a second sticky in place for people to discuss the running of the forum.

The post added nothing and imo was flamebait. Initially I was going to ignore it but at the time it would have been more fuel on the fire from all my reading that I do.
    The mod that banned flukey must either not be a regular reader of posts on the forum and/or have forgotten to drink his/her bottle of cop-on that day.

Warnings only go so far and I'm tired of being too soft on folk.

If you want to mod it, be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

*yawn*

tards 0

boards 1

(see what i did there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

kaimera wrote:
    basically the last few weeks have seen a lot of crap posted and quite frankly I've had enough of it.

Stuff had been posted about players, teams and supporters with complete disregard for common sense let alone the charter in place. ffs I even had a second sticky in place for people to discuss the running of the forum.

The post added nothing and imo was flamebait. Initially I was going to ignore it but at the time it would have been more fuel on the fire from all my reading that I do.

If you want to mod it, be my guest.

Yes please.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭The Rooster

kaimera wrote:

Well you made a very odd choice on who to get tough on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL looks like GAA is the new soccer :)

Notwithstanding the forum guidelines, with respect Kaimera, as this might have been considered a first and extremely petty offence, I was not given any warning. Far worse things have been said and no warnings were given and then I say something extremely minor and get a ban. I suppose it is appropriate that this happened in the GAA forum, as there is always complaints about the inconsistency of referees.

So in those terms we've had situations where fellas foul another guy and nothing is said. Then I come along and am extremely dubiously adjudged to have fouled the ball, with even the ref having his doubts, and then I get a straight red card, apparently because of a few very sensitive players. I only found that out because others came to me telling me what has happened in great detail, though I was not informed about any of it.

The rest of us here are able to take the hard knocks, get up, dust ourselves down and get on with playing the game without even looking in the referee's direction, while the sensitive ones run screaming at the slightest thing. As a result, I got banned for a minor offence, all with no warning and while even being told that I am an excellent player. It doesn't add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

More than yourself have been banned recently and imo they have been necessary bans.

Gandalf is right about GAA becoming the old soccer and if any of you remember it, it wasn't the greatest place to be.

Why bother posting if you can't be civil etc.

Your own ban, like I said I would have ignored the post normally but at the time there was too much crap wrt Meath in particular and your post would have ignited it again imo.

I also feel that the influx of new folk on the board is also taking it's toll. Give it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

gandalf wrote:
    LOL looks like GAA is the new soccer :)

That is exactly how it is. I gave up posting on the soccer forum about 4 years ago as I was sick of the petty bickering about the same old topics, usually united v liverpool. Now the GAA forum is exactly the same, although you can replace Dublin and Meath for Man Utd and Liverpool. Am rapidly losing interest in posting in that forum anymore.

Flukey I think you are being a bit harsh on Kai. Several people have been banned, and he had warned that more would be. You used the word thug instead of scumbag in your post from what I gather, but it amounts to the same thing, and was always going to get a rise from other posters.

In the ordinary scheme of things I would have thought it harsh, but he had place a warning on the use of such words, and I think you knew it would get a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What's the deal with all the keg throwing?
    Has the hand-pass been done away with?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the ban was totally deserved, trolling and bad trolling at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

To be fair Flukey Kaimera had reposted the sticky about the crap that was going on. Now, ironically, after all the abuse hurled the way of the Dubs on the board by non-dubs, the first one to get banned was a Dub. Sadly, the sticky isn't retrospective and if it was a whole slew of posters would get banned.

And, yes, indeed, there are times when I fell that we Dubs are wasting our time on the GAA board here and I for one couldn't be arsed posting there anymore. Sadly though, because the likes of meathman get away with it so often, I feel the urge to post and correct them.

For example, all the mouths who keep saying that the Dubs are only sunshine supporters. What do you say about Tipp, Wexford, Kilkenny and Galway on Saturday? Even Sunday wasnt a sell out and none of the Tipp-Limerick games were either. Dublin -v- Offaly sold more and it was a nothing game from any perspective.

Would I bother starting a thread on it? Nah, sure I'd probably get a ban for inflaming. Let's just see how many threads are started about the Dubs showing up late post 11th August. Heh, at least we show up.

Just back on topic, you sadly fell the wrong side of a demarcation line. Weather it'll be enforced or not in resepct of all counties I have my doubts. Yes, there are a lot of new posters on the board and I know i only post on it during the summer but the sheer anti-dublin tone of it maybe keeping many dublin posters away and as I said, it's led to me posting elsewhere on GAA because I'm sick of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Banning rightly or wrongly its seems that Kaimera has clarified why the banning was carried out. Flukey seems like a decent skin not intent on causing trouble, maybe if he was to acknowledge Kaimera's reasoning and to say he wouldnt do it again the banning could be undone sooner?

faceman wrote:
    maybe if he was to acknowledge Kaimera's reasoning and to say he wouldnt do it again the banning could be undone sooner?
    The banning is 'undone' as far as I can see. It was a one-week ban. Flukey's just making mountains out of molehills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ibid wrote:
    Whenever someone is banned from a forum, a notice is put on the Moderators forum so that mods don't go quietly banning people; they have to declare it.

It's not required, it's just useful if there's multiple mods on a forum to have a record of who was banned, what they were banned for and how long the ban was. Helps avoid confusion etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

blackbelt wrote:
    Yes please.:)

Oh lord no, you are involved in most of the arguements :p There are certain threads that I wouldn't bother posting in any serious way, because they descend into the same arguements over and over again. If people just used common sense there would be no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If people just used common sense there would be no problems

Yup. But give people a bit of anonymity and common sense goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

nesf wrote:
    It's not required, it's just useful if there's multiple mods on a forum to have a record of who was banned, what they were banned for and how long the ban was. Helps avoid confusion etc.
    Oh right, thought it was a semi-formal thing. Fair enough, less work so :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If I noted everytime I banned somebody in there, I wouldn't have time to ban them. How would the spacetime continuum like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

*yawn*

tards 0

boards 1

(see what i did there?)

WWM you can be a harsh bastard at the best of times but that was hilarious.

Anyway football is for "teh gheys" too close to a foreign sport for a real Irish man.

Advertisement