Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Last minute question!!

Options
  • 30-07-2007 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I'm off to my driving test in a couple of minutes, have just one question I need the answer to.
    Say you're on a road where there are two lanes, one to go straight and turn left, and one to turn right.
    There are also two lights. The left light turns full green however the right light doesn't show a green arrow. Can I turn anyway or should I ALWAYS wait for the green arrow to show before I turn?
    If you could answer asap that'd help a lot!!

Thanks!!
    Turbidine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You must turn right when the green light shows (even if there is no green arrow) provided your way is clear and it is safe to do so. If your way isn't clear, enter the junction and wait for a gap in which to safely turn.

Green arrows are there to allow you to turn right when the left hand lane has a red light. Unless there's a red light specifically for the right turn, the green light is for you too.

Best of luck!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

On that very issue, suppose the green light shows and the car in front moves onto the junction so it can wait for a clear gap - should I go in behind it or remain behind the stop line?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Red Alert wrote:
    On that very issue, suppose the green light shows and the car in front moves onto the junction so it can wait for a clear gap - should I go in behind it or remain behind the stop line?
    Can open; worms everywhere.

My thoughts are that if there is an arrow then you wait at the line until either you get your arrow or the car in front completes their turn.

If there is no arrow then you should really be trying to pass tail to tail and since only 1 car in each direction can really do this (unless its a very wide junction) you should again wait at the stop sign.

My general rule of thumb is I wait unless I am sure a car coming from the opposite direction can pass behind me.

The ROTR are not clear on this IMO

Advertisement