Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDA for a stockbroker?

• 30-07-2007 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im a trader/stockbroker and need a wireless device for when im on the road.

First and foremost i need windows mobile to run my scripts/software.
    Second i need connectivity - quad band, gprs, wlan, 3g

Can anyone recommend me something along those lines? I was thinking about an xda. I think the orbit is the model that meets those requirements. It wouldnt work as a normal phone though as it hasnt a keyboard so id need to have the stylus out even for phone calls etc.

So can anyone recommend me one along those lines?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Ok HTC is really your only option to get a decent handset that has both 3G and WLAN. The P3600 as previously indicated is good, but if you prefer a QWERTY keyboard then Vodafone Ireland also do the V1605. Its a HTC Tytn rebaged as a Vodafone. Its not on the website but you can get it if you call business shop. It has everything you want. However, its a bit bulky and is due for replacement in about a fortnight to a month by the HTC Kaiser P4550. But I'm sure it will be a while before Vodafone rebadge it. I'd recommend the Kaiser to anyone... its a tad expensive sim free, but I doubt that will worry the OP.

PS It will be available in 3 models for those that are security senstive:
    - With both front and rear cameras
    - With rear camera
    - With no cameras

If you don't want HTC there are 2 other brands, ETEN and Toshiba.
    The Toshiba G900 is a beast of a machine with a 800x480 screen, WLAN and HSDPA. But there have been reliability problems.
    ETEN do a good range too... but so far only go up to edge speed not 3G yet.

Then there is the O2 XDA Exec... again another beast. It meets all your requirements but its huge and is more like a tiny laptop than a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

thanks gui guy and to all.

I suppose the two most important factors are connectivity and portability. not so much price, (im not a very good stockbroker now mind!)
    So For portability i cant really go for the larger pda's.

But id also like a standard mobile phone keyboard on the front of the pda so i can use it as a normal phone for texting etc. i dont want to be getting out the stylus everytime i do anything.

I really like the look of the new nokia communicator, e90 i think. Pricey in comparison to the rest (over 900euro) and i dont really like the nokia OS. I dont think it can run my software. I wonder could i get windows mobile on there somehow?

any suggestions of a pda, with qwerty keyboard hidden away somewhere, plus a normal phone keyboard on the front and loads of connectivity options, and relatively small?

the htc's are cool but the lack of a keyboard doesnt suit me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Try this:

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=145682

Its not 3G but other than that it might do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

GUIGuy wrote:
    Try this:

http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=145682

Its not 3G but other than that it might do.

i used one of these for the past week...have to say the slide out keypad is tiny...good device other than that

Advertisement