Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shop mark-up on items

• 30-07-2007 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

It's a bit of an odd question but I have always wondered what the shop pays for items like:

A €500 pair of Jimmy Choos
    A €500 Chloe handbag
    A €270 pair of Juicy Coture Jeans

I'm assuming the shops get them for about a third of the retail price or less in some cases?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I don't know because the price of say a Christian Dior bag is exactly the same in Brown Thomas as you would pay in an actual Dior store in say Paris. The only place it's higher would be in an US stores because of them having to import the bag from Europe.

I would say it's quite big though, I can't imagine those bags cost that much to make. Plus the reason designer shops are always in the most exclusive areas with the highest rent to pay, they'd have to be making an insane profit to cover the rent costs alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

This info is taken from the book "Fashion Babylon" (an insider exposé of the fashion industry), apparently:
    Shops mark designer clothes up by multiplying by 2.9, so a skirt that we sell to the shop for £100 is sold by the shop for £290. The shop, therefore, makes more money on a garment than the designer. The skirt costs me £30 to produce, so if I sell it in my own shop for £290 then I am making £260 profit (minus overheads), as opposed to the £70 I make when I sell to another store.

From here:http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/2006/07/fashion_babylon.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I wonder how you could buy those things at those prices?
    Something like a Musgraves card?!

Advertisement