Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine for 01 Opel Vectra 1.6 petrol

Options
  • 30-07-2007 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, I am having serious problems with my Opel Vectra. I need a engine as the car is burning oil and I have already spent over €1000 on getting it running after the water pump and timing belt went. Now I want it gone.
    Does anyone know where I could pick up an engine / from scrap - or does anyone know an other options I have with this car???
    burning the car will only affect my insurance - so not an option - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi all, I am having serious problems with my Opel Vectra. I need a engine as the car is burning oil and I have already spent over €1000 on getting it running after the water pump and timing belt went. Now I want it gone.
    Does anyone know where I could pick up an engine / from scrap - or does anyone know an other options I have with this car???
    burning the car will only affect my insurance - so not an option - thanks

Give www.traynors.co.uk a ring. They are based up North but do deliver to the Republic. They are a pretty large supplier of motor spare parts. It would also be handy if you have the manufacturer's engine serial number so that you don't end up with an engine that isn't the same as the old one. I think Opel/Vauxhall used the same engine in the Astra and Zafira too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rebuild existing engine? New piston rings may solve the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pipster2003

Thanks for the suggestions - does anyone know a GOOD and reliable mechanic that would be interested in the job of rebuilding the engine for less than €700, as this is what I was quoted. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pipster2003

I called a local Opel garage and they said I have 2 choices
    1. Get a replacement engine € 2920 - installed and labour
    2. Get the engine rebored - €1470 - parts and labour

Anyone know of somewhere cheaper than this - :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

An independant garage should be considerably cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement