Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotto Winner Identified?

• 30-07-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

So it appears the winner(s) have been identified as a local family with 3 children ranging from teens to 20’s….They have gone away (obviously to think about what to do / how to react). Plenty of news on it here.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is hugely unfair that the family has been identified? I heard an interview on radio last night with a local, who stated that everyone knew who the winners were, but were choosing not to name them. Now on Radio this morning they have identified the family by name.

I think its very dangerous to go identifying the family publicly without their consent. I know somebody within the family has obviously shared the news with neighbours and this snowballed, but how could you possibly keep this news to yourself?

I just feel that by releasing the family’s name, it has left them wide-open to all sorts, including the usual begging letters, but also more dangerous aspects such as kidnappings and threats etc.

I think the family will have enough to think about in the coming days without feeling as if their safety is at risk

Rant Over.

P.S. That said, I’m sure the €16 million euro will somehow cushion the blow of their name being released to the public!!! :D

P.S.S. If any member of the winning family happen to read this post, I whole-heartedly support you and will gladly welcome donations or any contributions you may wish to offer .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Do you know for definate if they were named without consent? As far as I know you get a bonus if you choose not to remain anon... good pr for the lotto and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mcauley wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks that it is hugely unfair that the family has been identified?
    Didn't they throw a big party Saturday night when they found out they won? That's a sure fire way of waiving your right to anonymity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a small town in Co. Cork. This kind of thing is big gossip, every biddy will be on the street chatting about it, so it was going to come out regardless of who was and wasn't told.
    Ironically, it's much easier to keep this stuff a secret in a larger city or town.

I had to laugh at the news yesterday. TV3 (I think) asked a local woman (mid-50's) if she knew who it was;
    "Oh yes, I do. But I can't tell you. I can't tell you her name. She has 5 kids, but I can't give you the name."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Chunks

My mate just mailed me this...
    The guy who won the lotto was called cunningham from cork
    it says in the paper that his oldest son was called Shane

we work with a shane cunningham from cork and he didnt come in today -
    didnt call in sick or anything ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

seamus wrote:
    It's a small town in Co. Cork. This kind of thing is big gossip, every biddy will be on the street chatting about it, so it was going to come out regardless of who was and wasn't told.
    Ironically, it's much easier to keep this stuff a secret in a larger city or town.

This is true, but having the locals know and having it announced on national radio are two very different things. It's unlikely that they'd announce it without consent though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

seamus wrote:
    I had to laugh at the news yesterday. TV3 (I think) asked a local woman (mid-50's) if she knew who it was;
    "Oh yes, I do. But I can't tell you. I can't tell you her name. She has 5 kids, but I can't give you the name."

yeah i thought that was very funny....im sure the winner is delighted that that news bag knows ;) "i cant tell you who won but if lets just call her mary S, no thats too obvious, how bout Mrs Smith.....!"

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Chunks wrote:

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

seamus wrote:

Lets just call her L Simpson. No that is too obvious, lets just call her Lisa S

According to RTE the family left Cork at 8am this morning to make their way to Dublin....

That family is probably walking around Dublin City Centre as I am typing this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    The news would have you believe that it's a little village just off a botharín :)
    Better story I guess - "Country village dwellers hit the big time".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

didnt call in sick or anything

Would you bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I would. Even with €16m I don't think I'd quit working (altogether).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The National Lottery say no-one has called by with a ticket and big smile, so the reporting of a convoy of happy Corkmen and women is a load of bullsh-i-t and it makes you wonder how much else is.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I think they should be left alone. I hate how people stick their noses in, why is it even of the news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Chunks wrote:
    There's a pic of him here:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lotto-luck-as-family-hit-jackpot-1047502.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

eirebhoy wrote:
    Think thats the owner of the shop who sold the ticket. By the way does anybody know off hand what percentage of the jackpot the shop gets. Judging by Barrys face they get a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Pighead wrote:
    Think thats the owner of the shop who sold the ticket. By the way does anybody know off hand what percentage of the jackpot the shop gets. Judging by Barrys face they get a few quid.

Even if they don't get a share, there'll be enough jackeens in the area who'll think it's a lucky shop and they're bound to win if they play there.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think the sellers of winning tickets get 10 grand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Well im going to be a typical irish begudger and say this......feck them anyway why could'nt ive been me me me me me me me me me me:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the shop get a standard prize of €15,000 for selling the winning ticket.

heard the asshole owner on the radio earlier on and said he might share a small bit of it among his staff or at least buy them a few drinks. greedy bastard if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The shop get €15,000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

miju wrote:

heard the asshole owner on the radio earlier on and said he might share a small bit of it among his staff or at least buy them a few drinks. greedy bastard if you ask me

dead right too, he has to think of himself and his family first and foremost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Im not sure how true this is but I heard a guy in work mention that their names were discovered by the shop checking the security camera footage and going to the time the ticket was bought... If that is true.. well.. not a very good thing to do is it.
    And there is a huge article about the family in todays echo (cork/limerick paper for all you dubs), Its on the front page with more inside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

The newspapers always do that stupid 'here's what the winners could buy'
    ****e and then list a load of expensive cars and houses and throw in something
    strange, like a diamond encrusted skull or something. it's so lazy, they all do it
    couldn't they at least come up with something different like:

Ways to spend 16 million

Have the whole cast and crew of Fair City killed gangland style
    Buy a few hundred Eastern European teenage girls and traffick them in
    to open up a brothel in Cork City
    Buy Pat Rabbitte some liposuction
    Build a huge plastic turd and deposit it in the Irish Sea
    Build a huge metal cage, put a load of Roma in it and deposit that in the Irish Sea

philstar wrote:
    dead right too, he has to think of himself and his family first and foremost

well personally I think its damn bloody greedy and would share up a windfall like that......karma and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

lol, the news has so many things wrong and the neighbours (attention seeking b@stards) that were on the news must have been smoking the funny stuff when they were interviewed.

1. There was no big party, they celebrated amongst themselves. none of the neighbours knew for fact they had won..all speculation at the time.
    2. They did/(and still do) want to remain anonymous, some twat in the terrace notified the media when they heard the rumours.
    3. It's not the Shane Cunningham your buddy knows chunks.
    4. The owner of centra is a greedy b@stard who needs to learn some manners and theres no doubt that the staff won't get a penny of the money he's going to receive.
    5. It'd be hard to find a more deserving family
    6. The reporters should be shot for the way they're hounding the cunninghams home and the neighbours (decent ones, who don't go ballbing all to the media to get a bit of attention)
    7. May they have a wonderful life from now on and I wish them the best of luck with they're new lives :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

seamus wrote:
    The news would have you believe that it's a little village just off a botharín :)
    Better story I guess - "Country village dwellers hit the big time".

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fairhill,+cork&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.488837,81.738281&ie=UTF8&ll=51.891749,-8.452263&spn=0.079138,0.159645&z=13&om=1

Eoin087 wrote:
    lol, the news has so many things wrong.....
    :)

Well said mate.

The family seem quite deserving, I think the media hounding them is disgraceful, obviously they celebrated and news spreads fast, but as I said already, identifying them in national newspapers and on national television leaves them open to ALL sorts of danger. And for what seems like a fairly normal "run of the mill" family, they obviously wouldnt be familiar with any of the dangers associated with such a windfall.

I think interest in the winner is only natural, but this family has been harrassed....I mean photographers camped outside their home and also outside the Lotto HQ?

They've been very wise so far to avoid all the public attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

mcauley wrote:
    So it appears the winner(s) have been identified as a local family with 3 children ranging from teens to 20’s….They have gone away (obviously to think about what to do / how to react). Plenty of news on it here.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is hugely unfair that the family has been identified? I heard an interview on radio last night with a local, who stated that everyone knew who the winners were, but were choosing not to name them. Now on Radio this morning they have identified the family by name.

so they HAVE been identified....

3 children ha,

local family you say, as you from Dublin i presume you mean they are from Dublin.......interesting.

oh i DO think its "hugely unfair that the family has been identified"

and interviews with local Dublin people who "stated that everyone knew who the winners were"

and "Now on Radio this morning they have identified the family by name"

if i ever win the lotto
    i hope I'm identified by the Dublin press as well....:rolleyes:

eirebhoy wrote:
    ah jazzzzzus ...that's the shop keeper

seamus wrote:
    It's a small town in Co. Cork.

where did all this misinformation come from...

i suspect that ye would swallow shti if it was reported in RTE, must be a Dublin thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What the hell are you babbling about this time?

Try to make one post and have it make a bit of sense.

Terry wrote:

Try to make one post and have it make a bit of sense.

AGREED!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

i suspect that ye would swallow shti if it was reported in RTE, must be a Dublin thing

Serious chip on that shoulder

Terry wrote:

he he he ....babbling is right....i just pointing out the babbling going on here...

read the first page no babbling just fact...
    wohahahahah hahaha hahah

i supposed ye were caught out on a technicality...i love it:D :D:D

mcauley wrote:
    AGREED!

pity ye couldn't agree on who won the lotto...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

\m/_(>_<)_\m/ you're talkin bull mate.

cunnins4 wrote:
    \m/_(>_<)_\m/ you're talkin bull mate.

oh my apologies to all above... i thought they were from Cork. Sorry again

So, as previously stated they are a local family from Dublin or a small town outside Cork, they have 3 kids and that picture posted was the winner with his kid.....
    OK all cleared up, sorry about my misinformation, but thankfully corrected by board members again who are at the hub of the super information highway...
    now that's no bull:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

\m/_(>_<)_\m/: I cannae be bothered working out a nice and mature way of saying STFU. So, STFU. Reply to this thread again for an immediate ban. Continue your crap in any other thread for a ban. Thank you, and have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

mcauley wrote:
    Well said mate.

The family seem quite deserving, I think the media hounding them is disgraceful, obviously they celebrated and news spreads fast, but as I said already, identifying them in national newspapers and on national television leaves them open to ALL sorts of danger. And for what seems like a fairly normal "run of the mill" family, they obviously wouldnt be familiar with any of the dangers associated with such a windfall.

I think interest in the winner is only natural, but this family has been harrassed....I mean photographers camped outside their home and also outside the Lotto HQ?

They've been very wise so far to avoid all the public attention.

Believe me, I personally know the family and they really did deserve it.

From what I've read on the newspapers about the family has proved that everything the media says is complete BS, the reporters are following the oldest daughter around where ever she goes, which is a complete disgrace :mad:

Hopefully after collecting their money tomorrow, they go away for a few weeks to let things die down so that there lives return to being somewhat normal.

somehow me thinks they're lives will never be "normal" again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

miju wrote:

That makes me laugh, why should he share the money with his staff?
    If he wants to buy them a few drinks, fair enough, but it's not like he should share it out equally between them all.
    If he got a bill for €15,000, would you expect the staff to cough up and share that expense with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Pighead wrote:

15,000 euros.. and he should keep it. its his business !

That makes me laugh
    If he got a bill for €15,000, would you expect the staff to cough up and share that expense with him?

Thats a fair point. A few drinks is acceptable. Sharing the prize money amongst staff wouldnt be expected surely!

Advertisement