Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to watch RTE streams from outside of Ireland.

Options
  • 30-07-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

RTE block me from accessing their live streams - as i live in Belgium and therefore my IP address is outside of Ireland.

Can anyone explain to a non-technical guy how to gain access to these streams considering where i live?

I've tried this... but doesn't work!

1. Launch Firefox
    2. Click Tools - Options
    3. Click 'Advanced' on the top menu
    4. Choose the 'Network' tab and click on 'Settings...'
    5. Choose 'Manual Proxy Configuration:'
    6. Insert the ip address and port number for the proxy server. For example use Proxy server IP address: 83.220.194.234 Port: 2731
    7. Click OK
    8. Click OK once more
    9. Close down Firefox and restart it for the setting to take effect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You probably have to tell Realplayer the proxy settings too ,its under options somewhere. See if teh proxy works for webrowsing first though

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

been trying to do this as well to watch itv have tried some proxies but they ain't working, Boards even blocks some proxies , so not sure what the next step is ,

anyone else get this to work

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

if you know someone with broadband and TV reception, buy a slingbox.

in a nutshell and simple mans talk, the slingbox connects the SCART connection of a TV, VCR, DVD, Sat box etc to the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

humaxf1 wrote:
    if you know someone with broadband and TV reception, buy a slingbox.

in a nutshell and simple mans talk, the slingbox connects the SCART connection of a TV, VCR, DVD, Sat box etc to the internet.
    Cost? Reliability?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Plenty of reviews around of Slingbox and they seem favourable. I think the real problem with this solution is the upstream requirements. Some of the anecdotal reviews suggest that you would need at least 256kbps for regular TV or higher speeds for sports/action.

Maybe another possibility would be to get a broadband-enabled friend to set up incoming VPN connections on their machines. You VPN into their home network and you effectively become a host on their network. Still need a healthy upstream connection from your friend but it might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I have a slingbox, you need a 512 Uplink for any sort of watchable quality.

Would be a good solution though.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Have a look at this:
    http://temple-bar.blogspot.com/2007/07/watch-irish-telly-from-outside-ireland.html

Slingbox is only a good solution if you have an internet connection and a TV signal in Ireland.

You could ask a friend with unlimited bandwidth to setup a proxy for you.
    Privoxy is a well known proxy server. But you are still dependent on other people.

I wish I could setup a proxy for you, but I have limited bandwith :(

Advertisement