Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly

Options
  • 30-07-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Ok - I want to start reading the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books.....

Can somebody tell me the correct order in which I should buy the titles??

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Mmmmmm ....... 15 reads & not 1 response ....

Do people not know or just not care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I've read them all, and enjoyed them completely. I can't remember the order, I didn't follow it anyway, but I recommend you do as the stories all flow into each other.

The order - taken from the Ross Wiki @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_O'Carroll-Kelly

The Miseducation of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly, covering Ross' last two years at Castlerock College (later editions are titled The Miseducation Years)

The Teenage Dirtbag Years, covering Ross' first year at U.C.D.

The Orange Mocha-Chip Frappucino Years, in which Ross' parents force him to support himself.

PS, I Scored The Bridesmaids, in which Ross falls in love.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightdress, in which Ross discovers he is a father.

Should Have Got Off at Sydney Parade, in which Ross has his second child

This Champagne Mojito Is The Last Thing I Own, in which Ross' father is imprisoned and his assets seized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

First one was funny.....the rest were all very repetitive. He basically takes the piss out of Southsiders....gets a bit boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spaceradiator

Yeah, it;s gone downhill. The guidebook really looks like a rush job. I thought the miseducation one had two versions. Is it just a different title and cover? only ever seen later copies...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

He's gone from the tribune. Does he write a weekly column anywahere now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Ballyman wrote:
    He's gone from the tribune. Does he write a weekly column anywahere now?

I rang the tribune about 3 weeks ago and they said he was "on a break". Is it official that he's no longer writing for them now ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Yes it is official. It was announced a week or two ago that they had decided to part company.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Ballyman wrote:
    Yes it is official. It was announced a week or two ago that they had decided to part company.

They'll probably going to see a drop in circulation then... All the people who pretended to buy it for the current affairs and social commentary but whipped out the review section straight away will soon disappear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

You mean they will probably see an increase in circulation since he's gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

He's gone to the Irish Times. The first column was in the Weekend (the review not the magazine) supplement yesterday.

I would have thought that it was all a bit stale at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As I recall the first two books are brilliant, the third and fourth are decent, the fifth is pretty poor and the sixth is a return to form. I've not heard about the seventh?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Just finished reading the latest book. its different to the rest. Real page turner but I thought there were one or two very slow parts
    I would recommend it, its not like the previous books.

the guide to the soutside was useless in my opinon.

Im a big fan of his Dad actually. When he got charged for breaking the smoking ban was pricessly!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Read them all. The last book is very different and actually deals with a few serious issues of Celtic Tiger Ireland. Not as funny as the early books though.

I still enjoy the books, plus the ending would suggest more books to come. Quite serious is parts, I felt sorry for the poor focker! Cringe worthy too in places, but overall very enjoyable and a good continuation of the series.

Cheers
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'd agree with Howard, i did feel sorry for Ross in the last book. the neding was class. I didnt like the way in which Ronan was potrayed though...i mean he was supposed to be 8 years old....

I'd agree with Howard, i did feel sorry for Ross in the last book. the neding was class. I didnt like the way in which Ronan was potrayed though...i mean he was supposed to be 8 years old....

Why thank you :o

I agree with you too, it's just not in any way, even remotely possible. Although, the hard man act as portrayed is kinda explained a little and I did smile to myself upon reading it.

Thoughts on the story line for the next book?

:)

Cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'd say it will be more rugby centred probably bumps into an old flame abroad. Sorcha may be sidelined as Ross will have to re-evaluate his life. Ronan will become more of a central figure. i dont know how much more milage he can get out of Ross though. Maby far fetched but there are my ramblings for what its worth ;)

hmmm not forgetting the Play opening in November at the O.l.y.m.p.i.a. I reckon Sorcha will want him back and he'll be just playing like 'cool and gang' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I found the latest book one of the best. Finished it in two days cause I couldnt put it down. A real return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I work in a bookshop and these are the only books that sell.

Shame on Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 padsc

Karlusss wrote:
    I work in a bookshop and these are the only books that sell.

Shame on Ireland.

I agree, himself and Cecelia Ahern, I mean come on.

I read one of these books, though it was funnyish for a while, some good observations on the southsider thing but that was it. Picked up a second one about two years later but the repetitive style of writing started to irritate me so much I put it down after a few pages. One joke stretched out over how many books, repeated again and again in different situations.

There's so much infinitely better stuff out there people. Look at the 10 books to read before you die thread.

Advertisement