Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Pedal (precession?)

Options
  • 30-07-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi all

I am trying to rehabilitate an old Townsend ladies hybrid type bike. It works fine except that the left pedal constantly comes off after being cycled for a short distance.
    I think the thread is the same direction as for the right pedal but one of the occassions it fell off was in traffic and I may have lost a locknut or something similar that was keeping the pedal from unscrewing itself.

Does anyone know how I might secure this pedal permanently? ie what type of locking device is used on left pedals that do not have a reversed screw thread?

J Armstrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I expect that the left crank/pedal are reverse threaded, as normal. It would be very weird if it wasn't. What's probably happening is that the bearings in the left pedal are worn out, causing the pedal to lock up and unscrew. You'll need to service the pedals or get new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jarmstrong001

Thanks I will check the bearings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Stereophonic

Yeh it was probably put on the wrong way. It can be re- threaded if not too damaged, but better of getting a new one.

Advertisement