Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker extractor Fan

Options
  • 30-07-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be getting a new kitchen fitted this week. The hob is in a different location from the old kitchen. The cooker hood we bought has a stainless steel chimney so the only option I have is to install a ducting in the attic and drill a hole through the external wall or bring it out through the fascia at back of the house. The kitchen fitter rang me today and told me I don’t need to do this as he said all people use these days is carbon filters. Just wondering what is the best thing to do. Carbon filter are probably expensive and don’t know how long they last. Also do they have the same suction power as a proper external outlet? Any help would be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have a carbon filtered unit installed above an island.
    It works well as it has a grease trap/filter (which can be dishwasher cleaned) and a carbon filter. The carbon filter costs approx €35 and is supposed to be replaced every 6 months. But, this doesn't take into account the type of usage or the frequency.
    The carbon is supposed to trap odours also, and it must work OK because I don't tend to notice a big problem myself.

I would still open a window the odd time when cooking as I prefer a flow of fresh air.
    In all, they are functional but don't forget that they do not vent the built-up moisture which accumulates when cooking/boiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

my hob was just using charcoal filters and I recently ducted it outside and the results are a lot better.
    Even with grease catcher and charcoal filter the tops of cupboards were greasy, and the room smelled of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭tdavfc

Thanks for the replies Guys... Think I will go for the ducting as it wont be too big of a job as the house is a bungalow so I can go straight up into attic and drill a hole in the wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I have a question related (kinda). I am looking to put a extractor ducting from my hood and put a hole through the rere kitchen external wall.I think its 100mm. Whats the best way to put a hole is the wall. Its a timber frame house btw...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Is your outside wall block or stone batman? You can cut though the inner slabbed wall neatly with a padsaw.

You can rent a kangoo and a 4" diamand edge cutting tool for an exterior block/brick wall.

Watch for electric cables or pipe work though!

• Advertisement

Anybody know where I can get 150mm ducting for my extractor fan. Tried all the usual shops and they all stock 100mm. My fan says it take 150mm. The kitchen fitter said I could get a reducer from 150 to 100mm but cant find one of these either... Any help would be grateful...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

At the risk of stating the obvious...

Where did you buy the extractor fan, can they not source one for you?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

tdavfc wrote:
    Anybody know where I can get 150mm ducting for my extractor fan. Tried all the usual shops and they all stock 100mm. My fan says it take 150mm. The kitchen fitter said I could get a reducer from 150 to 100mm but cant find one of these either... Any help would be grateful...
    Quinnspares will have what you're looking for. They generally supply to trade, though I'm pretty sure they'll sell to the public too. Give Cahill a ring.

byte wrote:
    Quinnspares will have what you're looking for. They generally supply to trade, though I'm pretty sure they'll sell to the public too. Give Cahill a ring.

Thanks Byte...Much appreciated...

Advertisement