Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making an installer, xml...

Options
  • 30-07-2007 12:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I want to try to make an installer in XML using WiX. I have never used XML before so I am looking to begin. What is the best tool to do XML on, so I can start my task which I hope is easy?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

You can use anything from notepad to editplus to a pen n paper...

XML is nothing special... you'll surely get a guide somewhere for that thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hey, I want to try to make an installer in XML using WiX. I have never used XML before so I am looking to begin. What is the best tool to do XML on, so I can start my task which I hope is easy?:)

XML Marker is an ok free editor, best free one I have come across thats not saying much mind. The best ones like XML Spy cost money unfortunately.:mad:

http://www.download.com/XML-Marker/3000-7241-10202365.html?part=dl-XMLMarker&subj=dl&tag=button

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

xmp spy is the daddy, but cooktop isn't bad for the price (free!)
    www.xmlcooktop.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

bambam wrote:
    xmp spy is the daddy, but cooktop isn't bad for the price (free!)
    www.xmlcooktop.com

Ooh that looks much better than XML Marker (one open doc at a time :rolleyes:). Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

As the guys said, theres a heap of xml tools out there, however in the case of WiX, i'd recommend Visual Studio because when you install WiX(v3.0 anyway) you get the visual studio projects, intellisense etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'lll have a look at Visual Studio which I have already used and www.xmlcooktop.com.

At the mment, I got eclipse with XMLBuddy if anybody has any views on it.
    I got eclipse classic v 3.3.0 and xmlbddy 2.9. I don't know if they are working together yet, hmm.

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement