Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with Nokia N73 on 3 Mobile

• 30-07-2007 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Not gonna re-write out the whole scenario again, but below is an email which I sent to 3. If anyone else here has issues with below, can you please contact 3 also to get them to get the finger out. Email them at customer.services.ie@3mail.com

Mail sent to 3:

I have the Nokia N73 which I purchased last week on the 3 network in Ireland. It is currently on the firmware version of 3.0638.0.0.1. Since this there has been a few new firmware versions since this: 3.0649.0.0.1 and 3.0704.1.0.1 and 4.0723.2.0.1

I was wondering when is there going to be a '3' version of this firmware on the Nokia website as accoring to Nokia's NSU (http://europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate) only 3.0638.0.0.1 is available for my phones product code (3 branded Nokia N73) as there are many bugs in 3.0638.0.0.1 which I would like fixed considering I payed alot of money for this handset (€400). The bugs that affect me are:

Settings – Say Callers name: Reboot happening with combination of 3D Audio, MP3, Say callers name and 3D effects.

Profiles – Silent mode: N73 failed to power off when the profile was set to “Silent”.

Camera – stability: Camera freezes after taking picture.

There is many more bugs on this firmware but they have not affected me yet or I have not encountered them, but it is possible that i will considering i only have the phone a few days. (See http://allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?p=321382 for all known bugs)

The firmware currently on the phone is dated from 30-10-2006 which is crazy considering I bought this phone on the 26th-July-2007. There have been almost 3 firmware update releases between my phones firmware version and the purchase date of my phone.

Please update the firmware for 3's branded Nokia N73 as Nokia state themselves that it is up to the Network Operator for the go ahead in releasing the branded firmware update.

A list of all firmware and updates for the Nokia N73 can be seen here..

http://allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?p=321382

Note, I have also rang 3's customer service, and each time im told that the customer service department cannot get information in relation to firmware updates and when asked if they knew who could get such information, the responce was simply: no.

Unacceptable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

why don't you just change prod code and update yourself or ask repair shop to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

nazoil wrote:
    why don't you just change prod code and update yourself or ask repair shop to do it?

As changing the product code voids the warranty (I only have the phone 1 week), and also you will no longer have "Planet 3" on your mobile as you'd be flashing the unbranded nokia firmware and others say certain content from 3 will be blocked from you also in doing this. but thanks for your reply anyway :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

You get Planet 3 at http://mobile.3ireland.ie/sdf/my3home - bookmark it and shortcut it.
    ONLY backup & restore the other Bookmarks & Messages & Contacts (NOT SETTINGS)
    After update, change back product code to preserve your warranty. OR get MPRC to do it for you. Send it directly to them and make a SPECIFIC request for update to generic firmware. Backup and remove everything before sending in case they mess up the restore

This is ONLY if you WANT to keep phone. If you've only had it one week, just send it back. You have 14 days to do so. 3 are NOT going to update firmware any time soon. eg current 3 firmware on a 6280 is 3.xx, against the latest 6.43! 3 are not like Vodafone or O2, churning out lots of phones. A pallet load or two of these would have done them - then they'll stop selling N73's and move onto something else

There is NO WAY certain content will be blocked.

nazoil wrote:
    You get Planet 3 at http://mobile.3ireland.ie/sdf/my3home - bookmark it and shortcut it.
    Only backup & restore the other Bookmarks & Messages & Contacts (NOT SETTINGS)
    After update, change back product code

This is ONLY if you want to keep phone. If you've only had it one week, just send it back. 3 are not going to update firmware any time soon. eg current 3 firmware on a 6280 is 3.xx, against the latest 6.43!

I might just flash the new updated unbranded firmware so. Is it recommended to backup the above with Nokia PC Suite as opposed to backing up to memory card?

For anyone else wishing to do this, a tutorial is available at:

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=344689

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Damo,

Did this work ok for you ? Have a N73 too with the same firmware.

wardie wrote:
    Damo,

Did this work ok for you ? Have a N73 too with the same firmware.

yes, i have an unbranded upto date Nokia N73 now on 3. I have another thread here describing if you want to use MSN Messenger and have it free though 3's partner network as the MSN messenger you get of other sites directly connects to msn servers and 3 will deduct this from your bandwidth cap.

By the way, backup your contacts/sms ONLY with pc-suite. if you try restore any other stuff like aplications, phone settings etc.. you'll mess up the phone. Also dont restore a back-up from the minisd card. You'll also mess up the phone, as next time you turn on the phone, you get a message saying "contact the retailer" and wont go any further. If this does happen to you, turn of the phone, now hold down Call (green), * and 3. Power on the phone and continue to hold these keys, now hopefuly you'll be asked for your sim pin code if you had one set. You'll have done a full phone format (not firmware obviously) if you done the above. Also your access point/mms settings are on your sim-card so you dont need to worry about losing that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

nazoil wrote:

This is ONLY if you WANT to keep phone. If you've only had it one week, just send it back. You have 14 days to do so. 3 are NOT going to update firmware any time soon. eg current 3 firmware on a 6280 is 3.xx, against the latest 6.43! 3 are not like Vodafone or O2, churning out lots of phones. A pallet load or two of these would have done them - then they'll stop selling N73's and move onto something else

seems like "3" are selling old obsolete phones and re-packaged handsets??

Advertisement