Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT question

Options
  • 30-07-2007 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

If I import a few cars from the UK for resale, as i understand i have to register VRT straight away, but i dont want to go down as an owner on the cars as they would go from having only one owner to two before they are sold to the final owner as this could devalue the cars.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you intend to buy as few cars and resell them then you need a Trader Account Number from the Revenue. Otherwise you MUST register these in your own name, unless they can be parked up on private ground and you are fortunate to find someone willing to buy one without test driving it as strictly speaking an Irsih citzen is not allowed to drive a foreign reg'd car. Folk in the trade have this angle covered with their garage insurance policies.

If you bring in a number of cars the Revenue will notice and they will want their pound of flesh asap, and there could be the issue of income tax too !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

sounds good thanks very much! do i have to pay vrt at the port of import or does this deferred payment apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Deffered payment is again only for those with a TAN number !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you can bring a car in and register it straight into the new owners name. you don't have to put it in your name first, yet the car CAN be taken off you by customs if it's out on the road.

Advertisement