Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving oil boiler

Options
  • 30-07-2007 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hi.. this is my first message... so hoping I put this in the right place....

I need to move an existing oil boiler in my kitchen, think my only option is outside.. is this a big job?/big money? - assuming that its easier than moving it to somewhere else in the room and then having venting running along the kitchen ceiling....??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Will it be in a shed outside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Renot

well I'll have to build one...or was wondering if I could get a mental casing instead...

mental casing!?!?! :)

Am in same boat. Wouldn't mind moving indoor boiler outdoors. Manufacturer is Grant. I mailed them a few years ago asking about a cover for outdoors. IIRC they said it was not possible to retrofit to an indoor boiler. That situation may have since changed or may vary between manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

I think you will need to get a new outdoor boiler - grants are an excellent make of boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

jamesd wrote:
    I think you will need to get a new outdoor boiler - Grants are an excellent make of boiler

This is what they look like, together with dimensions ....

http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatalog/Grant_Outdoor_Oil_Boilers.html
    (scroll down for various sizes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

friend of mine moved his indoor boiler from his kitchen to outside the side of the house.
    He made a galvenised small shed out of sheets of metal and a welder.

He moved it directly outside the wall to where it was located inside so not much changing to the pipework & electrical.

Either that or buy yourself an outdoor one. How long do you have your existing boiler?

There is the matter of frost to consider if you move it outside. The models designed for outside are properly insulated to avoid burst pipes, boiler etc in frosty weather. Not a problem if it is on but if it is off then there could be issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Renot

mental boiler................. what was I at... :) this house is doing my head in..

Hard to know how old boiler is.. just bought the house.. but it is relatively new.. the only reason I need to move it is because it won't fit into the standard size kitchen units and it's in an odd spot in the kitchen.. if I get a custom made unit then it won't open as chimney wall is in the way.... If I move it outside I like the idea of a metal unit tho.. new boiler is not an option...have to get new windows, kitchen, wiring etc etc...

Advertisement