Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HPI check need a postcode

Options
  • 30-07-2007 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi lads

Im trying to get a hpi check for a car Im interested in but it wont leave me past the address page because it want s a postcode. I'v tried just entering a random one but when it doesn't match my address it won't accept it. Any ideas on how to get past it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

You could always try:
    Buckingham Palace London SW1A 1AA

I doubt Betty or Phil would mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Or just google for ANY address of ANY company in the UK or NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

10 Downing Street London, SW1A 2AA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Iv been putting in my own address. So there is no way to use an Irish address then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

are you using an irish company?

cartell.ie dosent require postcode..........

sohappy: I'm trying to find out about a UK reg car so I dont think Cartell will have any info

use mycarcheck.com you can use their postcode SK4 2HD......

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Pep wrote:
    Hi lads

Im trying to get a hpi check for a car Im interested in but it wont leave me past the address page because it want s a postcode. I'v tried just entering a random one but when it doesn't match my address it won't accept it. Any ideas on how to get past it?
    Believe it or not, i've just been in this situation this morning. I'm assuming you're trying to do one of the £6.99 eBay HPI checks? I called HPI and, after a lot of talking to managers, the girl told me that the system wouldn't allow it. The best she could do was a check for £19.99.

• Advertisement

i mailed mycarcheck and explained that i was in another country.they told me to just use their postcode... havent tried it myself....

Believe it or not, i've just been in this situation this morning. I'm assuming you're trying to do one of the £6.99 eBay HPI checks? I called HPI and, after a lot of talking to managers, the girl told me that the system wouldn't allow it. The best she could do was a check for £19.99.

No Im not. Iv never heard of an ebay HPI check? Also how do you get a price cheaper than whats quoted on the website? It says there that its £39.95 for a check. Do you get less info for £19.99?

Pep wrote:
    No Im not. Iv never heard of an ebay HPI check? Also how do you get a price cheaper than whats quoted on the website? It says there that its £39.95 for a check. Do you get less info for £19.99?
    If I were you, i'd call HPI and tell them you're trying to do an HPI check through eBay for £6.99 but that you can't because of the postcode issue. When they offer you a check for £19.99, take it. I don't think there's any difference between that one and the one for £40, but ask them. Make sure you have all the V5 details to hand, serial number, issue date, VIN# etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Anan1 wrote:
    If I were you, i'd call HPI and tell them you're trying to do an HPI check through eBay for £6.99 but that you can't because of the postcode issue. When they offer you a check for £19.99, take it. I don't think there's any difference between that one and the one for £40, but ask them. Make sure you have all the V5 details to hand, serial number, issue date, VIN# etc.

Ditto. Been there, and found the best way out was to ring them. I can't remember if they emailed and/or posted the report to me.

gyppo wrote:
    Ditto. Been there, and found the best way out was to ring them. I can't remember if they emailed and/or posted the report to me.
    Both.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,355 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You could always try:
    Buckingham Palace London SW1A 1AA

I doubt Betty or Phil would mind.

Lol. Bookmarked that!

Make sure you have all the V5 details to hand, serial number, issue date, VIN# etc.

I have the UK reg number and the chasis number. Will that be enough when I ring them?

Pep wrote:
    I have the UK reg number and the chasis number. Will that be enough when I ring them?
    It'll be enough for a basic check, but the more info you give them the better. You can write down a list of the other things they need and call them back with them - they'll update your check for free. Be careful with the V5 issue date - it's not the same as the date of first registration of the car, but a lot of owners get them confused when you ask.

Where is the V5 info on the car?

The V5 is the UK log book, which the owner should have. I found the easiest way is to write down exactly what HPI tell you they need and then call the owner and ask them to read it out to you from the V5. If they could email you a scan of the V5 it'd be easier still, but most sellers won't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GoalsGoneWild

Had the same problem myself last week. Quickest way around it is to find a friend with a UK Credit Card. Important to note that this credit card must have a billing address in the UK. The fact that the person lives there is not enough. Get them to pay for it on their card and give them the cash in return. Obviously only works if you have a friend/relative in the UK! :rolleyes:

May be a cheaper one out there but if not, try this. www.autocheck.co.uk. Input EXP06F&F as the discount code and the price drops on a single vehicle check from £19.99 to £9.99. Magic...

Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Had the same problem myself last week. Quickest way around it is to find a friend with a UK Credit Card. Important to note that this credit card must have a billing address in the UK. The fact that the person lives there is not enough. Get them to pay for it on their card and give them the cash in return. Obviously only works if you have a friend/relative in the UK! :rolleyes:

May be a cheaper one out there but if not, try this. www.autocheck.co.uk. Input EXP06F&F as the discount code and the price drops on a single vehicle check from £19.99 to £9.99. Magic...

Good luck...

Do they all give the same info? Wouldn't mind having a snoop at my current vans history from the UK

Not too sure if they all supply exactly the same. I know that the autocheck one gave me everything I needed anyway. Checks on o/s finance, insurance claims, whether it was stolen etc. There's also a lot to be said for finding out where the car was serviced and giving the dealer a call. I was given details of everything that was done to the car over the last few years and the exact cost of these. It also allows you to verify whether the mileage is real.

There's not a whole lot if info if you already own the van. At this stage, if there actually is something wrong with it, you're probably better off not knowing!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

I did an online HPI check last week and filled in my address as normal. When it asked for a postcode I put in a random but real UK one. Online check went through fine and a couple of days later I got the written report sent to my home address with the postcode I had given included in my address, i.e. Name, Home Address, UK Postcode, Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

http://www.hpicheck.com

You do it on line, it gives you all the details on the screen there & then, it also posts you out a printed copy of the report to your Irish address.

That's not possible on the autocheck.co.uk one. Might well be possible on the AA/RAC etc. ones but I wanted to save myself a tenner by using that promotional code. Think it can be up to £30 on other sites if you don't shop around.

Advertisement