Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The existence of time

• 30-07-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in finding some (online) reading material that gives a lay-mans discussion on the existence of time. ie, time as a unit of measurement, the argument that the future already 'exists' if this is true, the multi dimensional ranges of time or whatever. you can probably tell I have no idea what im talking about, hence the post :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

try to find: 'the fabric of the cosmos' by brian greene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Note time doesnt only "flow" in one direction at the sub atomic level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Where did you get that idea? Evolution of quantum systems is a function of time. Sure it's reversible in principle, but not if you consider measurements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

18AD wrote:

Was this in response to my post? If so, I'd like to point out that the ideas are highly speculative, in that there is no physical evidence supporting them, and they do not arise naturally out of some rule we do know to a high degree of certainty. The work is much more along the lines of 'What if ....' than actually telling us something specific about the universe we inhabit. That's not to belittle it, it's just you need to keep in mind the difference between theoretical results which are grounded in accepted laws of physics and those which make unjustified assumptions to see where these assumptions would lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Yeah, there's no doubt that it was quite an assumptious article, I just thought it was an interesting perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

Time 'flowing' are you referring to Brian Greene's book there?

Is there an ultimate measurement for time? certain materials emit at a certain rate and the earth turns at a certain rate. I always thought Time was a rate of decay - a rate of accumulation of entropy (disorder) which went in one direction from a state of order.

How can time 'flow' in other 'directions'?

Advertisement