Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have always wanted to get into acting

Options
  • 30-07-2007 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

But im 26 years old, is it too late for me to start? If not, how do i go about it? Would you recommend i join a drama group or just practice alone? Any help appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Buttons_sb

Join a drama group or you could get one-to-one tuition, which ever youd feel more comfortable with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

I don't think Acting is the type of profession where you can be 'too late'. After all, if you are casting for something, not everyone you need is going to be in their early 20s/teens or whatever. Casting agents need people of all ages, shapes and sizes. I think once you are talented enough, it shouldn't matter when you go for it (unless we're talking Hollywood where, I guess, an early start would be a distinct advantage).

There are a few good drama schools out there to get you started and a course will let you know if that's what you really want to do (sounds like you already know though). Check out www.nightcourses.com for drama groups/courses in your area.

I've done a few courses and been a member of a couple of local musical societies. It's difficult to get off the ground if you aren't available full time though. It's my plan to give it a shot in the next few years, but it's not really a good time for me at the moment because I cannot make myself available full time.

Anyone else any thoughts on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

I don't think Acting is the type of profession where you can be 'too late'. After all, if you are casting for something, not everyone you need is going to be in their early 20s/teens or whatever. Casting agents need people of all ages, shapes and sizes. I think once you are talented enough, it shouldn't matter when you go for it (unless we're talking Hollywood where, I guess, an early start would be a distinct advantage).

There are a few good drama schools out there to get you started and a course will let you know if that's what you really want to do (sounds like you already know though). Check out www.nightcourses.com for drama groups/courses in your area.

I've done a few courses and been a member of a couple of local musical societies. It's difficult to get off the ground if you aren't available full time though. It's my plan to give it a shot in the next few years, but it's not really a good time for me at the moment because I cannot make myself available full time.

Anyone else any thoughts on this?

Hmm, yeah i think id only have a couple of weekday evenings and weekends free. But my uncle acted for years and he had a full time job and a family so he seemed to manage it. Actually i really should be contacting him too shouldnt i? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

For sure!!! I'd say he has some valuable knowledge that would help you.... let us know how you get on!

Advertisement