Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Changing to a car van

Options
  • 30-07-2007 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

I know this has been covered a few times before but cant find anything relevant at the min.

Have been thinking about changing to a small van recently for work as running a 2.5 petrol as a work car is expensive and the car is getting grubby and need scleaning all the time.

A guy in work just got a new van and is sellign his Peugeot Partner. If I buy it, where do I stand wth regard Insurance/tax? I'm with Tesco and accordign to their website they only inure private cars so will I be able to change my policy to the van and have it insured normally or will I have to cancel my policy and go elswhere (not a big issue, as I only renewed in May). If it is insured privatly I assume ill have to tax it at the standard 1.9 private tax rate, yeah?Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I taxed my van privately for the last 9 months because I needed a DOE otherwise. Luckily my van is 30 this month, so 40 euro Tax.

Give Tesco a ring. I'd say you'd have to change policy to another company.

Ensure also that you NCB is transferable to a van. I seem to remember something about it not. But you will get credit for driving experience

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Tesco insurance is underwritten by Hibernian afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote:
    Tesco insurance is underwritten by Hibernian afaik.

Yeah, was with them last time round, might switch back.

On a similar note, can anyone find a contact phone number for Tesco insurance? I've been searching the site and it's probably staring me in the face but I just cant find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

You could try Quinn Direct for an online qoute.

Stekelly wrote:
    Yeah, was with them last time round, might switch back.

On a similar note, can anyone find a contact phone number for Tesco insurance? I've been searching the site and it's probably staring me in the face but I just cant find it.

From their website: http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsurance/index_faqs.html

Tesco Customer Hotline: 1850 640 640

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote:
    can anyone find a contact phone number for Tesco insurance?

Two methods worked for me:

1 Google Tesco Ireland Insurance and follow the steps for an online quote
    2 Goto www.tesco.ie and click on the Personal Finance tab and follow the steps for an online quote

The contact number that shows then is: 1850 640 640 ;)

Cheers folks

unkel wrote:
    The contact number that shows then is: 1850 640 640 ;)

Snap! :)

Just rang them, they wont insure it so ill have to cancel and go elswhere. the search begins

One thing I forgot. Anyone have any experience with cancelling a policy? Will Tesco send me back the 4 years no claims bonus I sent them from my last insurer? or do they issue me one from themsleves for 4 years even though I didnt earn any of it with them? Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement