Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VMWare Converter

• 30-07-2007 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have recently downloaded VMWare Converter with the hope of creating a VMWare image of my old decripid Win2K PC setup so I start using my new Mac Mini but have everything to hand still. One slight problem though VMWare Converter won't recognise the OS.

"Unable to determine Guest Operating System"

A quick googling seems to point to an issue with external drives or the boot.ini all of which seem to be fine on my PC but still no luck. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or a workaround as to how I can create VM from the installation I have so I can run it on the Mac?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Source System Images
    Microsoft Windows Operating system-based only system images from Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (formerly LiveState recovery) , Norton Ghost versions 9 or higher, Microsoft Virtual PC 7 and higher , Microsoft Virtual Server, VMware Consolidated Backup (VCB) images of virtual machines
    I get the impression that you'd need a third-party program, such as Norton Ghost, to image your installation first and then use this file in VMWare Converter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Ethernet,

I had thought about that and VMConverter needs an image from Ghost V9.0 or higher. I managed to get a hold of Ghost 12 but it told me that Win2K was an unsuported OS and I wasnt able to install it. I installed it on another XP machine I have no problem but there was no option to create a bootable CD that I could use on my Win2K machine - maybe there was something I overlooked?

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

PDD wrote:
    Hi Ethernet,

I had thought about that and VMConverter needs an image from Ghost V9.0 or higher. I managed to get a hold of Ghost 12 but it told me that Win2K was an unsuported OS and I wasnt able to install it. I installed it on another XP machine I have no problem but there was no option to create a bootable CD that I could use on my Win2K machine - maybe there was something I overlooked?

Dave
    Not sure, to be honest. I only started using Acronis True Image 10 in the past few days. I ghosted the HDD of a Win2k install. It allows me to create an image and create a separate, bootable CD to restore the image, i.e. no bootable CD containing image, AFAIK.

Advertisement