Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing the repeats

Options
  • 30-07-2007 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

I'm doing Business in Aungier St.

Back in May I took 7 exams and failed two subjects (Economics + Quants).

Got a letter from the college giving me the dates for my repeat exams last week. What I'm starting to worry about now is what happens if I fail either or both subjects again in the repeats? Quants is a nightmare subject for me and I failed pretty badly (16%) despite giving it 100%. Just can't wrap my head around it.

I heard somewhere that you may have to repeat the year at a cost of a couple of grand. This really isin't an option for me as money is tight enough. I also heard a lecturer mention something about "carrying subjects onto 2nd year" or something to that effect but I dno what that means. If I fail a subject in 1st year, can I go on and do 2nd year while repeating that sole subject?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yes you can carry subject. I wouldn't advise it though because you can get bogged down with work.

Just study for the repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I carried a subject from 2nd to 3rd year, its not reccommended and you will have to do sexual favours for your head of school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Does carrying a subject involve attending lectures with 1st years in 07/08 then? and taking the exams with them at the end of the year?

Meanwhile I do 2nd year with the same class of people I was with last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

As far as I know, you cannot just decide to carry a subject. That decision is down to your Head of Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Our course does not let you carry over subjects, even though exams are a minute ammount of our course. You really would want to check it out with admissions or your head of school cos it looks like each course have different ways off doing things!

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Everybody is allowed 4 chances to repeat an exam.

If you fail the repeat this year you can either pay a few grand to do the whole year again or you can pay €100 to just resist the exams next year, you just take a year out and appear at exam time. You don't have access to DIT facilities etc so all you're paying for is the cost of exam admin etc, hence the €100 rather then a few grand.
    I'm doing it at the moment, but unlike me you should study and get the repeat... as year outs are horrible for making you apathetic to the course.

Advertisement