Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

german imports

Options
  • 30-07-2007 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi was just wondering does anyone know anything about importing from Germany, what websites and their version of AA. And also if there are many right hand drives?

Also I am planning to import from Japan a Mazda rx-8, will I have trouble getting parts should anythihng go wrong? when I want to sell it after about 8-months to a year will I have trouble selling it? Do Jap imports have a much lower sell price then their sister European manufactured cars?

Thanks if u can help.

Ps. I have a Mercedes slk 200 2007 with 5000 miles on it should I bring it back to the dealer to sell or do it myself?

Thanks

is it good to import from outside Ireland? and save $ 9 votes

yes great value
    0% 0 votes
    yes but be careful
    22% 2 votes
    no 2 much paper work and very dodgey cars
    66% 6 votes
    not a chance in hell...get screwed over
    11% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

Am importing from Germany would generally mean your car would be Left Hand Drive which would mean it would affect your insurance! Plus be awkward to adjust to in my view!

Importing from Japan im all for as the cars coming from there are generally better. They seemed to b more cared for over there. My friend imported a Toyota Glanza Turbo and had it inspected by mechanics and he said it was the best engine he'd seen on one in a long time! You need to be careful though at the same time as parts can be stolen on them when they are bein imported!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also all JDM imports will be RHD already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There are very few RHD in Germany unless you specify one from the factory and buy it new but then you will have to pay VRT and VAT.

Look up www.mobile.de They let you search in English. There may be one or two out there, sold by a British squaddie.

Their AA equivalent is ADAC. You are best off using them to insure you for the journey home. Get temporary registration from the Strassenverkehrsamt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you get insured by ADAC, go for a spin on the Nurburgring :D
    They'll cover you there!

Advertisement