Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unmanned tripod speed camera?

Options
  • 30-07-2007 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I saw a tripod just beyond a hedge on the N3 heading for Dublin this morning. I'm assuming it was a traffic monitoring/speed camera. Anyone see this? Can the tripod be monitored from a distance? I don't know the road and I think the limit went from 60 kph to 100 kph. I was doing 80 kph. There was definately a 100 kph sign further on but I am unclear about here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Perhaps it was a builders/engineers "level" used when measuring future building site;)

Seriously tho, a garda speed camera on a tripod must be operated by a garda...can't be operated remotely.

Other than that perhaps it was some sort of device used for counting vehicles as used by councils/NRA ......tho thats usually done by placing two wires across the road?!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Silvera wrote:
    Perhaps it was a builders/engineers "level" used when measuring future building site;)

most likely, you see them lots when new roads are being built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 asdffa

draffodx wrote:
    most likely, you see them lots when new roads are being built

I'm not sure - these are usually orange... This was dark coloured/black, with a small camera (or something) on top. I only had a brief glance but it didn't seem to have all the extra bits that the UK tripod cameras have.

Here's hoping that's all that it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

As far as I know the police in the UK have a tripod mounted device that scans registration plates and checks tax. Normally there is a sign saying that this check is operational and it is sometimes unmanned. Or the copper is sitting in his car while the device does its thing. I doubt they have them here but possible a pilot project?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think the tax ones sit in the back of a Peugeot Partner van. There are two cameras as well. You often see it at the Hillsborough roundabout on the way to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

its highly unlikely it was a speed camera, if it was being unmanned it wouldnt have caught anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Drax wrote:
    As far as I know the police in the UK have a tripod mounted device that scans registration plates and checks tax. Normally there is a sign saying that this check is operational and it is sometimes unmanned. Or the copper is sitting in his car while the device does its thing. I doubt they have them here but possible a pilot project?
    They have at least some here, looking for the stolen car / armed robber type rather than the Motor Tax evader.

Advertisement