Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Komplett: 2 500GB HD's for €185!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

that is a bargain

i could have a terrabyte of external storage for 210/220 euro?? get paid tomorrow hope its still there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Cassiel wrote:
    looks like a good deal, 2 Hitachi SATA2 500GB's 16Mb cache

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338481

HWV are selling their 500GB Samsung drives for €87.24, thats 2 for €174.48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

L31mr0d wrote:
    HWV are selling their 500GB Samsung drives for €87.24, thats 2 for €174.48

but will the shipping be more then komplett?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

The Sammys would come to €204 shipped, the Hitachi's €197. Oddly I was comparing the HWV price for the Hitachi's of €110 (not in stock) or €250 delivered. Sammys are supposed to be real good though, at least compared with the old 5-platter Hitachi.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are there any enclosures that take two hard drives? I can't see any on komplett.

• Advertisement

Are there any enclosures that take two hard drives? I can't see any on komplett.

you might need a NAS for that, don't know of any USB/firewire external caddies that house more than 1 HDD, they probably do exist I just haven't seen them yet.

Yeah they are available, very very rare though. The last i heard www.scan.co.uk were still selling them. Anything from 1 - 5 hdds ide/sata.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just bought these two bad boys now, seems my pc takes up to 4 HDD :O

Just a quick question, if iwanted to swop the stuff from this current HD to a new one, is it as simple as copying or do i need to reinstall windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

just bought these two bad boys now, seems my pc takes up to 4 HDD :O

Just a quick question, if iwanted to swop the stuff from this current HD to a new one, is it as simple as copying or do i need to reinstall windows?

Its kinda tricky, you have to make sure the MBR (Master boot record) remains intact. Maybe look into getting some software that'll just the job for you norton ghost?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

L31mr0d wrote:
    you might need a NAS for that, don't know of any USB/firewire external caddies that house more than 1 HDD, they probably do exist I just haven't seen them yet.
    NAS is way too expensive. Cheers Anti, I found a few on scan but they were expensive as well. Around the €100 mark. A tad rich for my blood. I might just get a 500GB external and wait until I finish college before I delve into the realms of >TB storage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

AlmightyCushion, are you unable to put them into your pc case, or do you not have room to expand?

I rememebr the days of having 3 pci ide raid cards, and the ribbons comming out of the case into a shoe box with a seperate powersupply. Ah the good old days of 80gb hdds.

redtom wrote:
    AlmightyCushion, are you unable to put them into your pc case, or do you not have room to expand?

I've got a laptop. It'd be a bit of a b!tch to try and fit them in their. I could always tape the things to the bottom of the laptop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sharkoon do a USB enclosure that accepts 3.5" drives. There are a few stores in town that stock Sharkoon products and it's not the most expensive brand.
    http://www.sharkoon.com/enghtml/case.htm#twindrive

eo980 wrote:
    Sharkoon do a USB enclosure that accepts 3.5" drives. There are a few stores in town that stock Sharkoon products and it's not the most expensive brand.
    http://www.sharkoon.com/enghtml/case.htm#twindrive
    Suitable for two 3.5“ (IDE) devices (HDD)

It only takes ide not sata drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It only takes ide not sata drives.

Pfftttt- We can't have everything! :)

3.5" external enclosure, usb, ide.

SHAZAAAAAAM:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327487

well sems ive a little problem.

The drives come in oem format, no wires no cables no screws.

So ive got 1TB of space sitting on my bed :(

what cables do i need to plug them in, my current HD has a rather skinny wide headed cable going into it and another rather thin piece going in.

From looking at my lose wires, i can find 2 other wide cables, but cant find any of those skinny ones, im completely lost.

Alos where could i get the appropriate screws, hardware store.

I'm completely dissapointed that ive to wait longer for this to be installed, and i aint got a clue what wires are going in

l0l at n00b <
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Pretty much all hard drives will have two cables going into to them. One for power and the other for data. If you trace them the power cable will be going to your power supply unit and the data cable will be going into to your motherboard. I'm not very sure but it sounds like the hard drive that is in your PC at the moment is IDE. This is the older type of hard drive. The newer ones like you have just got take sata connections. To figure out what these should look like go and google them and then come back and tell us what you've got?

well sems ive a little problem.

The drives come in oem format, no wires no cables no screws.

erm... i've bought oem and non oem HDD's and i've never got cables or screws with them.

The cables come with your motherboard and the screws come with your case. Don't expect to ever get cables and screws when buying a HDD.

• Advertisement

my oringal hdd is sata, and so are these ones, its grand got it sorted bought serial ata cables and screws.....1.8tb of storage...sound

jsut a little update on these....very easy to install cables and screws etc. Suprisingly you cant buy Hard drive screws anywhere had to talk your man in pcworld to give me them from his workbench.

Up and running easy peasy took a while to format but not problems, now running 1.5TB of storage...great hard drives at a great price.

Advertisement