Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design know-how

Options
  • 30-07-2007 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'll make it quick - I'm looking to move into this industry, something I should have done 10 years ago.

Gonna try and get a portfolio together, but need to know a few things:

1. Which courses should I undertake?
    2. Which applications are most popular in the industry?
    3. How should I approach potential companies to give me a go once 1 and 2 are achieved?

Any help, particularly from experienced designers would be hugely appreciated!!!

Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

how much time can you devote to a course?
    evenings/1 or 2 years fulltime/4 years fultime...

You need to know your way around quark (up until a few years ago it completely dominated page layout, was the industry standard - you need to know it because you will always come up against older files/smaller printers that request it), but I'd advise concentrating on adobe indesign (the best page layout app in the market... so much so that I can't see quark being around in five years time).

For vector graphics (creating logos/signage artwork) your only man is Adobe Illustrator.

Obviously the image editor of choice is Adobe Photoshop.

As for approaching potential employers... this depends on your answer to first question. You may have to work your way up as a mac monkey or you could become a graphic design whizz after prolonged study... in which case you'll start as a junior. Best approach is to do as much real work as possible during college, as well as college projects, do pro bono stuff for charity organisations or local sports clubs to get the hang of doing it for real clients... you have to grow a tough skin, learn not to take it personally when the client ignores your work and tells you how to do your job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

Thanks minikin

Good tips for me..! Unfortunately my study may only be evenings at present as I have other commitments at the moment...namely my current work!

I would like to study full-time, but am hoping to build up a decent portfolio and squeeze in that way.

A mac monkey is fine by me by the way!

Oh one other thing - I am buying a decent PC for the task...any suggestions as to what is essential/desirable?

Thanks again

yes, most definitely, don't get a wintel pc - get a mac (industry standard platform, some people might try to persuade you that pcs are cheaper etc... just don't!!!)

Cheapest entry level mac mini will be fine if you're a student learning the ropes... you can use it with existing monitor and any usb keyboard/mouse.

next level up is an imac but you might like to consider a 2nd hand powermac (particularly as it may come with all the design packages and rakes of fonts installed) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Maria C

Hi there,

Saw your post Peter, and im looking to exactly the same thing and go into the graphic design industry..

Can anyone recommed some 1, 2 or 3 year full time courses (or part time if they were available but i dont think they are!!)....???

Thanks!!

minikin wrote:
    you might like to consider a 2nd hand powermac (particularly as it may come with all the design packages and rakes of fonts installed) ;)

I had a look on ebay to gauge prices...they seem to range from a few hundred to a couple of thousand.

Can you tell me what I should be looking for? I would really like to get things right from the start, but obviously don't want to shell out on something too advanced...

Also, are the macs difficult to use? I would consider myself pretty good with PCs.

Many thanks again - I appreciate any advice you could give me on this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

macs imo are much more intuitive than pc's. you'll pick the basics up in a few hours. If your going 2nd hand, there is a lot of people that way overvalue their old macs, recently they have become very competitive pricewise, and traditionally they were more expensive so make sure your getting good value. Don't go any lower than a good G5, although with the prices i've seen for old machines, it may be better value going new - or the apple refurb store. Remeber to budget for fonts and software also - that is going to be more than the price of the hardware.

:Cool thanks Heggie! :)

PS. Out of curiosity, I took a look at effect.ie

Under the portfolio page there is an example of a booklet designed for SGS, but there is a massive spelling mistake on it!! :eek:

Was this deliberate??!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

lol you're right, that was an older version that had been corrected before print, must have loaded the wrong pdf, cheers!
    in the middle of a total rebrand, so im sure i'd have noticed on the new site (i hope) :D

Hi Peter,

I reckon you'd get by with an older Powermac G4 (something like a 1.2ghz dual processor with a dose of ram would be fine for print design). G5's are great but you can run Tiger etc quite well on a G4 and don't forget...you're only starting out - buy what you need, not what you want! Get a decent size monitor instead (19" flat panels are cheap enough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnny_paradise

this is gona sound crazy but why not learn at home yourself??? thats what i did. all you need is adobe photoshop, a few decent font off the likes of 1001 fonts, and a few good brushs!!! its very easy. to design a website all you need to do is learn html and css. i recomend w3 schools. when you have learnt all that and want your own website try out these people. http://www.webng.com

it is free and there are no forced adds placed. and if you want a free domain try out these. its called co.nr......... there also free so itl be smtin like this www.vizefest.co.nr

the link to the free co.nr website: http://www.freedomain.co.nr

• Advertisement

this is gona sound crazy but why not learn at home yourself??? thats what i did. all you need is adobe photoshop, a few decent font off the likes of 1001 fonts, and a few good brushs!!! its very easy.

holy crap, johnny that's incredibly misleading advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

minikin wrote:
    holy crap, johnny that's incredibly misleading advice.

One shouldn't come here looking for serious advice, there are far too many comedians around the place.

I would have thought that the major graphic programs would be Quark XPress and/or InDesign followed by Adobe Illustrator and lastly Photoshop.

The nonsense about fonts is bullsh*it. A graphic designer will be dealing with commercial printers and using these fonts in photoshop will give zero latitude for any form of correction. Has Johnny the self taught many clients and would we dare mention the word *portfolio*?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnny_paradise

i thought it was for yourself..... jus personal or for a small website......i didnt know that you wanted to da a business out of it...... i have no clients as i have only learnt it for fun. not serious

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tav

Hi
    Any advices on part time/evening courses in dublin?

Advertisement