Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Jon dog food - what's the verdict?

Options
  • 30-07-2007 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Tried this today as my dobies were sick and tired of Hills. Don't see why i should be paying nearly €60 for a 15kg bag when the dogs loathe it.

The 15kg bag of Dr Jons cost just over €17. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

we used Dr. John's for a while, but I found that quality varied widely between lots, so kinda lost confidence.

Now on Red Mills Winner for quite a while, no probs to report and the dogs are happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Where can you buy Dr Jons or Red Mill?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here in Sligo the local garden centre / pet shop carries both.
    The farmers co-op (NCF) also has Red Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

I only feed Dr Johns Silver Medal to my four dogs. My elderly Great Dane has digestive problems following an operation two years ago and she just cant tolerate anything else. All the dogs are in great condition and thriving on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shelley1

hiya

Can you list the first three ingedients in Dr Jons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

shelley1 wrote:
    hiya

Can you list the first three ingedients in Dr Jons?

1. Cerials.
    2. Vegetable protein extracts.
    3. Meat and animal derivatives.

Mmmm - I see what you mean - that does not sound good. But the dogs love it - in the same way I like burgers I suppose. :rolleyes:

But what other quality dog food is out there other than Hills. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

Heres the old "you get what you pay for " arguement. I agree that the premium foods are better quality but are they €40 a bag better quality??

I dont feel the need to buy the finest organic food for myself either and no-one, human or canine, in this house is undernourished! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

I feed our three Dr. Jon's silver and used to feed our old gsd cross on it and sometimes Gold if we couldn't get Silver.

It's the one food they never get tired of and they're all in very good condition. The only thing our vet ever said about food was avoid tins as it increases the plaque on their teeth much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 shelley1

You could check out Arden Grange or Burns...they are both €50 per 15kg bag - but good quality.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

I use Royal Canine for my GSD pup - when I got her she was on pedigree chum but my vet suggested changing her to Royal Canine - approx €38 for 8kg bag (thats maxi junior). Burns is very good for dogs susceptable to skin conditions and allergies. Heard good things about red mills though and hills. Maybe ask your vet what he/she suggests. hope this helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

My huskies have very senitive stomachs and I use james wellbeloved it is great but my boxer is on dr jons gold and in great contition for a twelve year old, she can still run with the huskies.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Back Stabbath

But what other quality dog food is out there other than Hills. :confused:

The only food I'd reccomend that we can get over here is Burns.

Do your research and you will see that Hills, Royal Canin, etc. are all sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

Do your research and you will see that Hills, Royal Canin, etc. are all sh*t.

That is your own opinion. The only problem I have with it is her poop smells like her food except a little stronger - other then that she is healthy, her coats shiny and in good condition, she's in good body weight and runs rings around us - typical of a pup. If I do have to change her food to something else over the smell, I have to wait - R.C. is the dearest I can afford - but to be honest I'm happy with it despite the smelly poo - afterall I'm the only one who cleans up after her - my fiance is useless na dcan't handle it cos it makes him gag. For the record - he never owned a dog before.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I've heard good & bad things about Dr Johns & haven't tried it - I use Nutro which goes down well with the doggies here :)

Advertisement